Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Thread Options
#1144570 - 03/13/09 02:45 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' A_G
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
i just don't understand what some people are so afraid of

i would much rather expose my child to the realities of the world and if they are exposed to something that goes against my personal morals/principles/beliefs/religious convictions...teach/educate them accordingly

rather than try to shelter/protect them to the extent where it does them more harm when the time comes that they must face the world on their own

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1144575 - 03/13/09 02:48 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Miscuit
A_G Online
10K Club
norm life baby
"we're white and oh so hetero
And our sex is missionary."

Norm life baby
"we're quitters and we're sober
Our confessions will be televised."

You and i are underdosed and we're ready to fall
Raised to be stupid, taught to be nothing at all

Return to Top
#1144591 - 03/13/09 02:58 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' A_G
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Is there anything that shouldn't be on broadcast TV?

Don't think I'm being snarky, but I think there needs to be more restraint in local and children-based television. I don't swear that much and certainly don't use that language around children (I've even worked on not saying "stupid" or equally negative words in front of children--not that I'm calling them stupid) so I don't think using foul language in prime time is appropriate. But it's permeated our society, apparently. And it's much harder to undo what has been done than to avoid it altogether. But, that bridge has already been crossed. I also don't think nudity needs to be on local networks, and I freely admit that I'm somewhat sexaphobic.

Here are a few things that I've noticed on cable:

There's a program on Disney where the children constantly back-talk their parents, who are portrayed as little more than bathed troglodytes.

Cartoon Network has episodes of various cartoons that have blatant sexual undertones. I understand the concept of making a program entertaining for the parent and the child.

And what about The Best Damn Sports Show, for parents watching sports with their children?

Ultimately, though I think the role of parenting is more complicated today and requires more attention to what children are exposed. There's no simple solution I can offer, other than DVRing programs and previewing to assure age-appropriateness, and even then it doesn't address what happens when children are in unmonitored homes.

Return to Top
#1144593 - 03/13/09 03:02 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Miscuit
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: ZZ Top

i would much rather expose my child to the realities of the world and if they are exposed to something that goes against my personal morals/principles/beliefs/religious convictions...teach/educate them accordingly

rather than try to shelter/protect them to the extent where it does them more harm when the time comes that they must face the world on their own

...and you've got kids?

Return to Top
#1144600 - 03/13/09 03:06 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' The OG Zaibatsu
A_G Online
10K Club
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Return to Top
#1144616 - 03/13/09 03:15 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' A_G
A_G Online
10K Club
As I've always said, say what you want, but prepare to suffer the consequences.

Family Guy says what it wants, yet I don't see them hurting for advertising. Large companies in this country (the kind that advertise on national tv) have lots of money and pull.

If enough people didn't like something about the show (time slot, content, whatever), the advertisers would refuse to advertise and the show would get cancelled by the network.

Um, yeah, it's been on the air for 10 years.

Return to Top
#1144620 - 03/13/09 03:21 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' The OG Zaibatsu
A_G Online
10K Club
Having children or not is non sequitur (omg, I finally get to use the coveted BOL word)...

If enough people in this country with children or without children got together and had enough pull to get Faimly Guy off the air moved to a later time slot by getting the advertisers to pull out, then you win.

This has yet to happen. Clearly, the show is wanted by the American people in the current time spot.

I see at least two posters that I know 100% for sure have children and have indicated that they think the show is great, which proves your non sequitur 'do you have children (because then you'd know what it's like)' theory wrong anyways.

But I did post a nice article at the beginning with a group that I'm sure is looking for new membership...
Last edited by S. Tyler's Mouth; 03/13/09 03:38 PM. Reason: Inaccuracy pointed out by MB

Return to Top
#1144622 - 03/13/09 03:23 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' A_G
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
laugh

Return to Top
#1144633 - 03/13/09 03:34 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Bacon Boy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I don't think anyone said FG should be off the air, just moved to a later time spot.

Return to Top
#1144634 - 03/13/09 03:35 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' MB Guy
A_G Online
10K Club
I stand corrected.

I will change my statements about going off air to 'move to a later time spot.'

Return to Top
#1144637 - 03/13/09 03:41 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Bacon Boy
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
BB - I hear you.
Even on shows that "should be ok," there are still things that I don't want her picking up. My biggest complaint about Hannah Montana is the way the characters talk to each other, especially to their dad.
There are lots of shows on Disney like that.

There is no TV in her room, all shows that she watches are in the living room, just steps away from the kitchen...where I can listen in.

Heck, anymore unless we're watching Noggin, I am not sure that I want Natalie watching. She's 'almost 6' (in 6 months, but you tell that to her wink ) But I cave, and by cave I mean that yeah, I'll let her watch Hannah or Suite life...and Phineas and Ferb!

We watch lots of movies as a family, Old Yeller is her favorite - and think of the violence!?
But then again, we're also big fans of the World's Greatest Fishing show and John Gillespie's Waters & Woods...when she is around. After her bedtime is when we watch our tivo'd shows (like family guy or bones or The girls next door).

Return to Top
#1144638 - 03/13/09 03:42 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Bacon Boy
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Sorry, S. Tyler, it's a parent thing, you wouldn't understand.

I win? Steven, I think you've done too much heroin; you're lost in the weeds. I didn't advocated taking it off the air. Rather, I advocated moving it to a later hour.

Yes, lots of people with children watch the show. Do these parents have a problem with FOX agreeing or the FCC requiring that it be shown at a later hour?

Back to rehab for you.

Return to Top
#1144639 - 03/13/09 03:42 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' QCL
A_G Online
10K Club
And the Girls Next Door is no more... frown

Return to Top
#1144640 - 03/13/09 03:42 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' A_G
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: S. Tyler's Mouth
norm life baby
"we're white and oh so hetero
And our sex is missionary."

Norm life baby
"we're quitters and we're sober
Our confessions will be televised."

You and i are underdosed and we're ready to fall
Raised to be stupid, taught to be nothing at all
Hmm, quoting Marilyn Manson probably isn't the way to persuade fka -Z- to your side!!! smile

Originally Posted By: ZZ Top

Seriously, I love Fox's Sunday night line up - Animation Domiation. But my kids will never watch it. (TiVo rules!) You don't have to "expose" kids to all the bad things in the world for them to understand them. Wait until they are at an age you deem appropriate and then (get this foreign concept) TALK TO THEM. You sure as he!! don't want Seth MacFarlane (sp?) teaching them about the "real world." I agree with fka -Z-; with beliefs like this, I wonder if you have kids.

Return to Top
#1144645 - 03/13/09 03:47 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Milby
A_G Online
10K Club
yeah, that quote was for the benefit of someone else. wink

Return to Top
#1144651 - 03/13/09 03:53 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' A_G
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
If there is any part of this world that you do not want your children to be aware of, then don't have children.

Return to Top
#1144655 - 03/13/09 03:58 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Becka Marr
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
If there is any part of this world that you do not want your children to be aware of, then don't have children.

Quite possibly the worst advice ever given on BOL, and there's been a lot of bad advice given here.

Return to Top
#1144668 - 03/13/09 04:05 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Becka Marr
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman

I want my kids to be aware of prostitution, drug use, and the violence that people can do to each other. That doesn't mean that I want them to watch it happen.

Return to Top
#1144689 - 03/13/09 04:11 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' rainman
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: rainman
I want my kids to be aware of prostitution, drug use, and the violence that people can do to each other. That doesn't mean that I want them to watch it happen.

At the appropriate time and on my terms, not because it was brought up on TV during what should be a safe time for families to watch TV. Heck, a family can't even watch a football game together in the middle of the day without having to explain erectile dysfunction to the children. I don't even know what it is, but I've heard of it. wink

Return to Top
#1144692 - 03/13/09 04:12 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' The OG Zaibatsu
A_G Online
10K Club
Well, see, it's this sport where this team of guys have a ball and... whistle

Return to Top
#1144695 - 03/13/09 04:13 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' rainman
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
I've got a question....

If I have my child with me and we are standing in the room with one of you guys/gals and we are chatting and talking about something or another... would you feel comfortable cursing up a storm with every word known to man? And then lets say a few minutes later if some other man/woman came in the room would you feel ok stripping down right then and there and having sex with them in front of that child? OR

would you be respectful of me and the child and refrain from doing so? If the answer is yes to this question...why?

Return to Top
#1144717 - 03/13/09 04:25 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' rainman
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: rainman

I would rather they watch it happen in fiction than experience it in reality. You might bring an awareness by discussing the subject in theory, but I think a lot of understanding doesn't happen until we see things for ourselves.

Return to Top
#1144728 - 03/13/09 04:31 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' Becka Marr
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Kaytee, the difference is one is recorded with a broad audience in mind and what you describe is a personal interaction presumably intentionally encountered. Two very different things, IMO. But I would believe most people would censor themselves in the company of children. I certainly do.

Return to Top
#1144729 - 03/13/09 04:31 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' KTMiteComply
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Kaytee
I've got a question....

If I have my child with me and we are standing in the room with one of you guys/gals and we are chatting and talking about something or another... would you feel comfortable cursing up a storm with every word known to man? And then lets say a few minutes later if some other man/woman came in the room would you feel ok stripping down right then and there and having sex with them in front of that child? OR

would you be respectful of me and the child and refrain from doing so? If the answer is yes to this question...why?

The person who doesn't refrain from those actions doesn't care if a child is present. And the person who does refrain would still refrain if the child weren't present.

Return to Top
#1144749 - 03/13/09 04:44 PM Re: Group files FCC complaint against 'Family Guy' A_G
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: S. Tyler's Mouth
As I've always said, say what you want, but prepare to suffer the consequences.

I agree! Say what you want, but prepare to suffer the consequences.

I love it when something someone says applies to that person as well.

I also love it when we agree! smile

Return to Top
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10