Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#115746 - 09/19/03 02:11 PM Reconciling Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, guys, help me out here. I know that some banks have the set up where a teller reconciles the tellers (currency & coin, proof of deposit, whatever you want to call it) and I have even done it myself when I was a teller supervisor in a drawer all day. But as an auditor, I have a problem with the lack of independence. Let's say that even if a teller reconciles the account and then a manager looks over it and signs off, who is to say the manager will actually look at the spreadsheet to see if a formula was tampered with or the sheet was just plugged (which would be my idea of a reason to sign off)? If they see "in balance" at the bottom of the sheet, will they look any further? I know this situation designates the person who is responsible (manager) but it doesn't prevent something from going undetected.....am I over-reacting? I am thinking "risk management" and they are thinking "manager is responsible and that should take care of our risk".

Return to Top
Audit
#115747 - 09/19/03 03:39 PM Re: Reconciling Tellers
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
What is your system of reconciliation once the items (cash and otherwise) run through proof? Does an independent party reconcile the cash accounts? Once items are run through proof, even if they plug their numbers in to show the drawer is in balance at the end of the night, the truth should come out in the tickets. The balance that is shown on the accounting system versus the teller system should be different if they are just plugging numbers to get the drawer to balance. Are there surprise counts conducted during the month to verify totals? If someone is off is there a secondary count of the drawer? PM me and I would be happy to discuss how we handle teller balancing.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z