Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1221531 - 07/23/09 07:02 PM Stupid Police!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
from non-Fox news source (oh, the agony of it all)

Quote:
White House says Obama does not regret Gates comments
Posted: 02:06 PM ET
(CNN) — White Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Thursday that President Obama does not regret saying Cambridge, Massachusetts police "acted stupidly" in arresting Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr.

Asked aboard Air Force One whether the president regrets the choice of words, Gibbs told reporters that Obama, who made the remarks at Wednesday night's White House press conference, "was not calling the [arresting] officer stupid. The situation got out of hand."

Gates was arrested last Thursday at his Cambridge home for disorderly conduct — what the arresting officer described as "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space." The charge was dropped Tuesday on the recommendation of police, and the city of Cambridge issued a statement calling the incident "regrettable and unfortunate."

I think he will quickly surpass Clinton for being the master of spin and double-speak...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1221535 - 07/23/09 07:06 PM Re: Stupid Police! HappyGilmore
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Apparently Mr. President thinks we are stupid.

Whats regretable and unfortunate is the race card being played.

Return to Top
#1221576 - 07/23/09 07:38 PM Re: Stupid Police! TB 12
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
If he's as smart as all his disciples say (and they're suddenly very quiet today), then he said what he meant and he meant what he said. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp....

Return to Top
#1221584 - 07/23/09 07:43 PM Re: Stupid Police! RBanker
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Then what was he calling the officer? A big dumasouraus?

He doesn't have enough of the facts to make a judgement on the situation.

Return to Top
#1221609 - 07/23/09 08:03 PM Re: Stupid Police! Jafo
A_G Offline
10K Club
Looks like BO should be the one to say I'm sorry...

snip -

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The white police sergeant criticized by President Barack Obama for arresting black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his Massachusetts home is a police academy expert on understanding racial profiling.

Cambridge Sgt. James Crowley has taught a class about racial profiling for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming.

"I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The course, called "Racial Profiling," teaches about different cultures that officers could encounter in their community "and how you don't want to single people out because of their ethnic background or the culture they come from," Fleming said.

Return to Top
#1221680 - 07/23/09 09:11 PM Re: Stupid Police! A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Another person on the "block" says that someone is trying to breakin to someone's house/apt... what were the PD to do?

They should have verified his identity no matter who it was. If it was a white guy, do you think he would have been treated the saem. Doesn't this neighbor know her neighbors?

Of course, once he pesented valid ID, he should have been excused.

It may not have been "stupidly" handled, but it was badly handled...

Return to Top
#1221682 - 07/23/09 09:15 PM Re: Stupid Police! Retired DQ
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
the neighbor may have been new to the neighborhood.

They verified his ID and then, as I understand it, he got rowdy with them. Considering that in all the photos I've seen there were plenty of black officers at the scene, I would think that his arrest wasn't racially motivated.

He was arrested not for burglury but for causing a disturbance.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1221744 - 07/23/09 10:58 PM Re: Stupid Police! waldensouth
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
the neighbor may have been new to the neighborhood.

They verified his ID and then, as I understand it, he got rowdy with them. Considering that in all the photos I've seen there were plenty of black officers at the scene, I would think that his arrest wasn't racially motivated.

He was arrested not for burglury but for causing a disturbance.

From the news story I just watched, the officer stated that the reason he asked the home owner to step out of his home was to ensure that he was safe and clear the residence. Do you have any idea what kind of liability the officer would have and the lawsuit that would be filed against the police department if he said oh, ok you live here, I'm going to leave, and then someone was in the house and hurt the home owner?
Last edited by B_F; 07/23/09 10:58 PM.
Return to Top
#1221746 - 07/23/09 11:04 PM Re: Stupid Police! B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I would bet some would say he left him there because he was black.

Return to Top
#1221778 - 07/24/09 11:33 AM Re: Stupid Police! straw
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
The police were trying to do their job. From the screen time I saw last night with the police officer, the officer says that Gates got obnoxious, and kept saying things about the officer's mother. Did it get out of hand - yes. Did Gates cause a good bit of the problem - gotta say yes he did. The police were trying to make sure there was no one else in the house. Mr Gates just needed to step outside and let them clear the house.

Did the Prez goof - absolutely. The media wouldn't be calling him on it if he didn't. The prez should not be an adult and pony up and admit it and apologize. He was on nightline (I think) last night, and the reporter really was pushing him on it. From what I saw, the prez would not back down. This is a little thing Mr. Obama, heck - look at what the Koreans did to Hillary.

Return to Top
#1221792 - 07/24/09 11:57 AM Re: Stupid Police! Snow Bunny
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
If anyone is interested, here is a link to an interview with Seargent Crowley from yesterday. This is the one I referenced in the other thread:

http://audio.weei.com/m/25432556/sgt-james-crowley-cambridge-police.htm

As others have said, he asked the Professor to step out after determining his identity to ensure there was noone else in the house that the Prof may not have been aware of.

Return to Top
#1221796 - 07/24/09 12:00 PM Re: Stupid Police! TB 12
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Sounds like normal police protocol.

Return to Top
#1221802 - 07/24/09 12:23 PM Re: Stupid Police! Snow Bunny
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I thought Mr. Obama said we should stop using racism as an excuse...oh, he meant "other" people should stop doing that...I get it now.

Return to Top
#1221811 - 07/24/09 12:31 PM Re: Stupid Police! Retired DQ
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Deekles
If it was a white guy, do you think he would have been treated the saem.

No, because weren't the suspects the police were looking for described as black?

Return to Top
#1221818 - 07/24/09 12:41 PM Re: Stupid Police! A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Anyone who thinks that stupid white people who yell at the police when being questioned would be treated differently just need to turn on "Cops" and that question would be answered...stupid and disrespectful toward police is colorblind, as is their response.

Return to Top
#1221819 - 07/24/09 12:41 PM Re: Stupid Police! A_G
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Ahhh looks like even "The One's" followers dont know what happened. Do I think they would have been treated the same. Yes. He followed police out, shouting obscenities, calling them racists (although that would be odd for a white guy), then when told if he idd not stop they would arrest him, he kept it up. Seems to me anyone would be arrested in that situation. Why dont you try it sometime DQ and let us know how it goes.

Return to Top
#1221822 - 07/24/09 12:42 PM Re: Stupid Police! Sound Tactic
A_G Offline
10K Club
[see thread about DQ in the Cooler]

shocked

Return to Top
#1221828 - 07/24/09 12:49 PM Re: Stupid Police! A_G
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I think the good Prof. Gates was upset because these police officers didn't know he was the famous Prof. Gates from Harvard who is friends with President! I believe his ego was hurt more than anything else.

Police officers should carry waiver of liability forms with them. so that when a citizen tells them that they won't let them search their home for a possible burglar, the citizen can sign the form and not be allowed to sue.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1221857 - 07/24/09 01:20 PM Re: Stupid Police! Retired DQ
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Another person on the "block" says that someone is trying to breakin to someone's house/apt... what were the PD to do?

They should have verified his identity no matter who it was. If it was a white guy, do you think he would have been treated the saem. Doesn't this neighbor know her neighbors?

Of course, once he pesented valid ID, he should have been excused.

It may not have been "stupidly" handled, but it was badly handled...

Brought to you by MSNBC. Give me a break.

First, do I think a white guy would have been treated the same. Absolutely, yes!

Secondly, do you think you could recognize all your neighbors in the dark while they are breaking into their house?

If an officer shows up at a house where a burglary was reported and leaves after valid ID is presented, that, my dear, is poorly handling the situation. Anyone who knows anything about police work knows that the police officer should make sure the house is clear regardless of what kind of ID they see from the owner.

Any other opinion is politically motivated at worst or politically influenced at best.

Return to Top
#1221861 - 07/24/09 01:23 PM Re: Stupid Police! Sound Tactic
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: Green Tea

Ahhh looks like even "The One's" followers dont know what happened. Do I think they would have been treated the same. Yes. He followed police out, shouting obscenities, calling them racists (although that would be odd for a white guy), then when told if he idd not stop they would arrest him, he kept it up. Seems to me anyone would be arrested in that situation. Why dont you try it sometime DQ and let us know how it goes.

Been there done that... smile

Return to Top
#1221864 - 07/24/09 01:26 PM Re: Stupid Police! Retired DQ
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
<----- senses an interesting storyline ^^^^there.

Details Deekles! Please!!

grin

Return to Top
#1221867 - 07/24/09 01:27 PM Re: Stupid Police! The OG Zaibatsu
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
In Austin, whether you are black or white, young or old, if you are belligerent with a police officer, you get tased (well, at least in this case). See the video and read the story here.

Oh, where are you President Obama? Are you not the President for this woman too? Is she the wrong color? Does it not suit your political motivations?

Return to Top
#1221870 - 07/24/09 01:27 PM Re: Stupid Police! Snow Bunny
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: P.B.
<----- senses an interesting storyline ^^^^there.

Details Deekles! Please!!

grin

See DQ thread in the Cooler...

Return to Top
#1221871 - 07/24/09 01:28 PM Re: Stupid Police! The OG Zaibatsu
A_G Offline
10K Club
don't taze me, bro

Return to Top
#1221873 - 07/24/09 01:29 PM Re: Stupid Police! HappyGilmore
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: future mrdeekles
Anyone who thinks that stupid white people who yell at the police when being questioned would be treated differently just need to turn on "Cops" and that question would be answered...stupid and disrespectful toward police is colorblind, as is their response.

Check out the video I just posted.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5