Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#125785 - 10/27/03 07:49 PM Affiliated Business Arrangement Revisited
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
We have been told by an outside consultant that the following situation requires an Affiliated Business Arrangement disclosure:

1. Lender refers or the borrower chooses Attorney A to provide settlement services on a federally related real estate loan.

2. Attorney A is a member of the Board of Directors of the bank and has .16% ownership in the bank.

3. None of the fee is retained by the bank.

The question ...is the bank required to provide an affiliated business arrangement disclosure in this situation? Based on my interpretation of RESPA and Reg X I don't think so ...but I could be wrong.

ยง 3500.15 Affiliated business arrangements.

(a) General. An affiliated business arrangement is defined in section 3(7) of RESPA (12 U.S.C. 2602(7)).

RESPA Section 3(7)
SEC. 3. For purposes of this Act--

(7) the term "affiliated business arrangement" means an arrangement in which (A) a person who is in a position to refer business incident to or a part of a real estate settlement service involving a federally related mortgage loan, or an associate of such person, has either an affiliate relationship with or a direct or beneficial ownership interest of more than 1 percent in a provider of settlement services; and (B) either of such persons directly or indirectly refers such business to that provider or affirmatively influences the selection of that provider;

Any help or opinion would be appreciated,

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#125786 - 10/27/03 07:56 PM Re: Affiliated Business Arrangement Revisited
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I agree with your consultant on this. The director has more then 1% ownership of the settlement service provider, and as a member of the board has the ability (or I should say perceived ability) to "indirectly" cause business to be referred to him/her.

Return to Top
#125787 - 10/27/03 08:02 PM Re: Affiliated Business Arrangement Revisited
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Thank you ...but the Board member only has 0.16% ownership in the bank.

I don't mind complying and have generated the proper disclosure ...just felt it was a little much.

Return to Top
#125788 - 10/27/03 09:28 PM Re: Affiliated Business Arrangement Revisited
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Thank you ...but the Board member only has 0.16% ownership in the bank.

As Dan points out if the director of the bank owns greater than 1% ownership in the service provider, not the bank, then the disclosure is necessary.

Return to Top
#125789 - 10/27/03 09:30 PM Re: Affiliated Business Arrangement Revisited
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I also agree with Dan and your consultant. Your director, by definition ( see HUD's Reg X 3500.15(c)(4)(i)) has "control"; therefore, any business referred by the bank to the director or by the director to the bank would require the AfBA disclosure.

Return to Top
#125790 - 10/27/03 10:45 PM Re: Affiliated Business Arrangement Revisited
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Quote:

As Dan points out if the director of the bank owns greater than 1% ownership in the service provider, not the bank, then the disclosure is necessary.

Thanks again ...I was looking at it from a different direction. I understood the reg to read that if the person referring (lender) the borrower to the settlement service provider had an interest in the service provider's business that would be an affiliated business arrangement. I just didn't do the flip and look at it from the other side.

Thanks again ...this is what BOL is for and I sure do appreciate it.

Return to Top
#125791 - 01/20/06 06:24 PM Re: Affiliated Business Arrangement Revisited
MRJ Offline
100 Club
MRJ
I would like to dredge up this post to put a twist on the issue...If the director of the bank were the CEO of the settlement service provider, but did not have an ownership interest of more than 1% in the settlement service provider, would this still be considered an AfBA? Would this fall under the "affiliate relationship" clause, and therefore be an AfBA?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z