Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1316367 - 12/31/09 07:13 PM New Account Opening and CIP
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Does anyone use a questionnaire or a new account application at their new account desk, and if so, how do you address the question of the new account applicant being a US or a foreign citizen?

I keep looking at our form, but am at a loss to determine how to ask/add that question - feel free to PM me...

Thanks (to anyone that is still out there on a New Year's eve and has time to answer this)

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1316395 - 12/31/09 08:05 PM Re: New Account Opening and CIP RBanker
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I don't believe we use a questionnaire or ask the question specifically. We rely more on the type of documentation asked for and recevied. For example, asking for drivers's license and social security card. If they don't have both of them, then you get into the asking of citizenship so as to determine what other documents could be used.

Return to Top
#1316426 - 12/31/09 08:22 PM Re: New Account Opening and CIP Doug Hendrickson
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too - but you know how our CSR's are some time - they want something easier - Personally I'd rather stay away from the citizenship question on the new account app - I fear if not done right you get in to some kind of a discriminatory claim conversation.....

THanks DH.

Return to Top
#1316698 - 01/04/10 02:59 PM Re: New Account Opening and CIP RBanker
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
"In what country are you a citizen?" is pretty common. A customer may have a U.S. driver's license and even a Social Security card, but still not be a U.S. citizen.

NRA's are customers "subject to expanded examination overview" according to the Manual and your normal due diligence process should incorporate identifying them as such.

Return to Top
#1316783 - 01/04/10 03:44 PM Re: New Account Opening and CIP Elwood P. Dowd
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Thanks Ken, I appreciate your feedback - I was reviewing your manual from the New Account Opening for Individuals, and did see the suggested interview questions for NRA's -

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett