Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#1317455 - 01/05/10 12:34 AM High blood pressure
doorsfan1974 Offline
doorsfan1974
Birmingham, AL
A couple of months ago, I found out my blood pressure is elevated. And I kept checking it everyday on my friend's personal BP reader and it was continually high. I went to my Dr. and she prescribed me a pill called Maxcide, a mild water pill. Well I have been taking it for about a month and a half now and my BP is still high. Today I checked it, and it was 126/103. I am 35 and I weigh 136 lbs, and I am 5'4". I did weigh 140 at my Dr. visit. (And to think I weighed only 104 lbs 6 years ago!) So anyway, I have lost 4 lbs in 45 days, but my BP is still high. Does anyone take any particular BP med that works for you??
Last edited by doorsfan1974; 01/05/10 12:36 AM.

Return to Top
#1317458 - 01/05/10 12:38 AM Re: High blood pressure doorsfan1974
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I have high blood pressure for 25 years and have used several different drugs until they quit working. I just started on Exforge HCT which is a really new drug. It is actually 3 pills in one and I get by with taking one a day. My doctor was kind of amazed at how well it is working.

Return to Top
#1317477 - 01/05/10 02:32 AM Re: High blood pressure Ready to Retire
doorsfan1974 Offline
doorsfan1974
Birmingham, AL
I think my mom takes a med called Lotensin, or something like that. Yes, both my parents have been on blood pressure medication for a while. So I guess my genetics are kicking in now....

Return to Top
#1317478 - 01/05/10 03:05 AM Re: High blood pressure doorsfan1974
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
You've mentioned your weight <which doesn't sound high>, but what about your diet? Lower your sodium intake - and this includes diet soft drinks. Do you take a lot of antihistamines - those can also increase your BP. My sister-in-law stopped drinking her Diet Pepsi and pills and hers dropped back into the 'normal' zone. Also, exercise helps, too.

Return to Top
#1317486 - 01/05/10 03:40 AM Re: High blood pressure Skittles
doorsfan1974 Offline
doorsfan1974
Birmingham, AL
Yes, I've been trying to exercise too, and watch my diet. But it's hard to watch my sodium, though. I stay away from those over-salty french fries that some of the fast-food chains serve, like Zaxby's and Milo's.

Return to Top
#1317491 - 01/05/10 11:32 AM Re: High blood pressure doorsfan1974
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Originally Posted By: doorsfan1974
But it's hard to watch my sodium, though.
Start reading the labels on foods before you purchase them. I was amazed how quickly you can get to the daily max amount without ever using a salt shaker. I started doing this a few months ago and it's definitely helped. Good luck!

Return to Top
#1317503 - 01/05/10 01:06 PM Re: High blood pressure Cowboys Fan
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Ditto what Cowboys stated. You will be amazed at how much sodium some items carry - and it's not just from french fries. Most canned products <soups, beans, etc.> carry HUGE amounts of sodium - as do dried items - like ramen noodles. Be choosy in what you buy.

Return to Top
#1317516 - 01/05/10 01:42 PM Re: High blood pressure Skittles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I take norvasc, but with diet and exercise changes my doc will probably be taking me off it at my next visit if all stays the same.

Return to Top
#1317519 - 01/05/10 01:43 PM Re: High blood pressure Skittles
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I have been on several meds myself. Currently, I have a combo of Cardevilol and Hyzaar...

I agree about the salt. All restaurant food is oversalted, try to cook your own meals.

Return to Top
#1317545 - 01/05/10 02:18 PM Re: High blood pressure Retired DQ
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I just realized how high the sodium is in frozen meals (Like the weight watchers or the Lean Cuisine ones)! When I had high BP with my pregnancy (it was 250/204 when I delivered - how I didn't have a stroke is a miracle! but that's another thread) my doctor encouraged me to read the labels of food.

Return to Top
#1317562 - 01/05/10 02:37 PM Re: High blood pressure QCL
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Frozen and canned convenience foods are usually LOADED with salt.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1317703 - 01/05/10 04:14 PM Re: High blood pressure RR Joker
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
I take Cardevilol and with exercise and watching the sodium intake has helped. I never paid any attention to how much salt is in canned soups and the lower calorie frozen meals. Deli meat too...the sliced chicken breast is loaded with sodium. Good luck.

Return to Top
#1317731 - 01/05/10 04:32 PM Re: High blood pressure chenin
one deer Offline
Any where but work
I assume you are female. You need to have your kidneys checked. I started out with a family practice and then they sent me onto a heart doctor, because nothing we tried worked. Your kidneys help regulate your blood pressure and the veins can constrict and cause a rise in bp, this can be fixed with a simple procedure if it is the problem. I take Hydrochlorothiazide, Labetalol, and Atacand. It took 12 months to get the right dosages and for my body to adjust to the meds. One of my meds has actually been lowered in the last 3 months. Exercise, diet, stress, smoking the list goes on and on of what affects your bp. I knew high bp was inevitable for me as this is a family trait seems to be no way around it for us, even though we are not over weight and do not smoke. Get on the internet and educate yourself. Good luck and God bless

Return to Top
#1317752 - 01/05/10 04:53 PM Re: High blood pressure one deer
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I,too, have taken many different BP meds over the years. Some worked for a while and then didn't. Many times, something changed for me and some factor in a particular med would aggrevate it. Right now, I'm on Atacand HTC and Diltiazem (generic for Cardizan).

Ask your doctor if a weight loss would help. In my case, my blood pressure was always high. When I was 25, I was only 132 pounds (at 6') and my blood pressure was 150/85. Many years ago, our doctor told my husband he had to lose weight because his blood pressure, cholestrol (sp)and asthma was getting worse and would continue to get worse if he didn't. So, together we joined Weight Watchers. When the doctor found out that I joined, he made a point to advise me that even if I did lose the weight, my blood pressure would still be high (he didn't want me to have "false hope" and get discouraged when mine didn't change). Sure enough, when he lost the weight, his blood pressure came down and his medication was lowered. Mine, however, did not.

Return to Top
#1323218 - 01/12/10 08:39 PM Re: High blood pressure EllenA
VioletRose Offline
100 Club
VioletRose
Land Of The Lost
Have not posted in ages, but wanted to share my experiance. I was also perfectly healthy with HBP. It turned out it was caffine. If you drink soda or coffee take a break from it & see what happens. Some people (like me) respond very strongly to it. I have not had to be on any medication- just can't drink coffee.

Return to Top
#1323327 - 01/12/10 09:54 PM Re: High blood pressure VioletRose
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
I take a beta-blocker, but not for HBP. I take it because it helps prevent/control migraines. When my blood pressure does move a little higher, I have to remember to move...I have a sedentary job and tend to just collapse (mental tiredness) when I get home. When I exercise more, my blood pressure moderates. It doesn't even have to be an exercise routine....just moving and making better choices (stairs vs. elevator, park further from the building, etc.). It does take some time, though.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett