Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1331243 - 01/26/10 08:06 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Bobby Boucher
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
I could be wrong, but I think the pay back requirements for yours guy may have been recinded... don't quote me on that though.

shocked

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1331245 - 01/26/10 08:08 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? A_G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: Eh Gee
Well you were using the 2008 information so I assumed you were following 2008 rules.

Never assume....

Return to Top
#1331247 - 01/26/10 08:09 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? TB 12
A_G Offline
10K Club
I know, right!

Return to Top
#1331255 - 01/26/10 08:15 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Peepers
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I dont know what I read, but it was on the IRS site back when I was looking at homes...June?

Return to Top
#1331445 - 01/26/10 09:58 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Dip
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Dip
I'm doing them myself and already have more itemized deductions than I paid in federal taxes, and that's without the homebuyer's credit grin I'm bright enough to figure them out on my own and I enjoy the "puzzle." Plus, I'm not convinced that the money I coudl pay a professional woudl make up for any additional write-offs he could find. I'm single, no kids, no investment income, no home business...nothing crazy.

Here's a clue for the puzzle - the deductions don't offset your tax liability dollar for dollar, they reduce your taxable income. The fact that deductions exceed your payments is largely irrelevant. But, happy filing! smile

Return to Top
#1331451 - 01/26/10 10:00 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Dip
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
The $7,500 credit for first-time homebuyers who bought in 2008 still has a 15 year repayment plan. It must be paid back in 15 installments of $500 each, starting with the 2010 tax year (so, next year).

The $8,000 first-time homebuyer credit does not have to be paid back, and it is for people who bought in 2009. It originally expired in November, but was extended through April 2010. Yet another credit was added in November for existing homeowners who buy a new house. That credit is $6,500, and doesn't have to be repaid. It expires in April 2010 too.

Regardless of the credit claimed, the tax return cannot be filed electronically! It must be filed by paper, so expect lots of delays. I am a Volunteer Income Tax Assistant, and we are going to help folks prepare their returns, but we won't be able to e-file it. Lots of documentation has to be provided, too. They are trying to cut down on the fraud cases that happened last year, when they saw things like 4 year olds claiming the credit.

Return to Top
#1331456 - 01/26/10 10:05 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Jokerman
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Originally Posted By: Dip
I'm doing them myself and already have more itemized deductions than I paid in federal taxes, and that's without the homebuyer's credit grin I'm bright enough to figure them out on my own and I enjoy the "puzzle." Plus, I'm not convinced that the money I coudl pay a professional woudl make up for any additional write-offs he could find. I'm single, no kids, no investment income, no home business...nothing crazy.

Here's a clue for the puzzle - the deductions don't offset your tax liability dollar for dollar, they reduce your taxable income. The fact that deductions exceed your payments is largely irrelevant. But, happy filing! smile

I knwo that...studied Federal Taxes in an accounting class in college. I was jsut sayin'....

All I need to do now is make copies of some of the itmes I pulled out last ngiht. Already printed out clean copies of the 4 forms I have to turn in...expecting Over 9200 back smile Sure beats the 600 from last year!

Return to Top
#1331459 - 01/26/10 10:08 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Dip
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
On behalf of all of taxpayers here on BOL, you're welcome.

Return to Top
#1331462 - 01/26/10 10:10 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Dip
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Oh, and one more thought... just in case you missed it....don't forget about the $400 "Making Work Pay" credit on Schedule M!

Return to Top
#1331466 - 01/26/10 10:15 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? #Just Jay
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
laugh !

Return to Top
#1331506 - 01/26/10 10:47 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? #Just Jay
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
On behalf of all of taxpayers here on BOL, you're welcome.

Thank you Mister J grin

Return to Top
#1331512 - 01/26/10 10:50 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Miscuit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
but you can't claim the loss when you sell a house for half of what you paid 6 months ago!!!!

and that is all I have to say on the matter!

Return to Top
#1331517 - 01/26/10 10:52 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? RebekahL CRCM
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: RebekahL CRCM
Oh, and one more thought... just in case you missed it....don't forget about the $400 "Making Work Pay" credit on Schedule M!

OMG, FREE MONEY!!!!!! Shoot...have to redo my forms now laugh

Best tip yet! Thanks!!!
Last edited by Dip; 01/26/10 11:26 PM.

Return to Top
#1331954 - 01/27/10 04:41 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Dip
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
The $6,500 tax credit for existing homeowners purchasing another home went into effect on November 7th (a Saturday?) I closed on my house on November 6th. Don't know if my purchase would have qualified but since I was a day early I didn't even look. Will most likely have to have my taxes done by a pro this year anyway so I'll ask, but it looks like one day cost me $6,500! Oh well, it is what it is.

Return to Top
#1332067 - 01/27/10 05:49 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? thomasj
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Oh stink, Thomas! I think you're right. President Obama signed the law into effect 11/6/09, and the existing homebuyer credit is only for homes bought AFTER 11/6/09. Poop.

Well, if it is any small consolation, the amount you are out is "only" $3,250, if you're filing "married filing separately" for the 2009 tax year. Bummer, nonetheless.

Ah well, think of it this way:

Buying a new home: Tens of thousands of dollars.
Buying your new home one day too late: $3,250
Being free of the crackpot: Priceless!! grin

Return to Top
#1332092 - 01/27/10 06:08 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? RebekahL CRCM
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Buying your new home one day too late: $3,250

Agreed!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#1332117 - 01/27/10 06:23 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? RebekahL CRCM
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania

Buying your new home one day too late early: $3,250

Absolutely love this!!! Could not be more true!

Return to Top
#1332193 - 01/27/10 07:10 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Dip
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Dip, my bill is in the mail, glad I could help.

Return to Top
#1332343 - 01/27/10 08:53 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Peepers
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I thought Sch. M was going to result in most people having to repay the stimulus money.....

how come Dip thinks she is getting more?

I am about ready to turn her in for the bounty.......

Return to Top
#1332445 - 01/27/10 10:14 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Pale Rider
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Schedule M is where you actually claim the $400 credit to account for the smaller withholding on your paychecks. The few bucks we saw in each paycheck was merely an advance of this $400 credit. You don't actually get any tax benefit for it until you claim it on your return. If you are one of those folks getting a nasty surprise of increased taxes because of the stimulus, failing to count the credit on your Sch M will only make it worse! That's because the damage is already done... it's been going on via your withholding.

The repayment issue happens in large part because of problems with the withholding tables. For example, a working couple (who will receive an $800 credit) ends up getting a withholding boost that actually gave them $1,200, not $800.

Similarly, a single filer with multiple jobs is getting a $400 reduction in withholding from EACH job, but can only claim a total credit of $400. The net effect is underwithholding, which will either result in a smaller refund or taxes due.

Obviously, this isn't Dip's situation! grin

Return to Top
#1332455 - 01/27/10 10:25 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? RebekahL CRCM
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
what is your hourly charge for doing my taxes Miss RL?

you have this stuff down!

Return to Top
#1332511 - 01/27/10 11:22 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Pale Rider
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Aw shucks, just for calling me Miss and not Ma'am, it's on the house! laugh

Return to Top
#1372608 - 04/12/10 04:00 PM Re: Can you deduct for home improvements? Dip
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country

Hope I don't have this issue, since my credit is factored into my current year return and is part of my regular refund. Plus I ususally files my taxes as soon as I get my W-2 so I usually get a prompt refund....except from California last year laugh[/quote]

We're in PA and had a customer that pretty much had an I.O.U. from California for [I believe] their refund from 2008. It said it was not good until after October and this was August.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3