Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1349030 - 02/25/10 03:41 PM Bank Policies
Random Offline
Gold Star
Are there any bank policies that have to be approved on an annual basis?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1349104 - 02/25/10 04:27 PM Re: Bank Policies Random
NLC Offline
Gold Star
Center of US
As far as I know they all do. And even if the law does not require annual review the FDIC sure does.

Return to Top
#1349153 - 02/25/10 05:11 PM Re: Bank Policies NLC
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We take all of our bank policies to the Board of Directors for approval annually.

Return to Top
#1349184 - 02/25/10 05:34 PM Re: Bank Policies BurntSienna
Here4Life Offline
100 Club
We do too!

Return to Top
#1350046 - 02/26/10 08:54 PM Re: Bank Policies Here4Life
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Few require an annual approval. I couldn't tell you which do because it isn't worth looking up. Here is the philosophy on annual approvals. Even if there are no changes, having the board reapprove/reaffirm them says that this is still valid and is still the direction we are heading.

Many banks will either do them all at once, or partition them into monthly, quarterly or semiannual chunks, depending on the time available to present and discuss them.

I used to put them all together in October or November as an example, and the board would be notified that they'd be presented in December. They had all that lead time to review them and ask questions, so the motion at the actual meeting wasn't labor intensive.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1350789 - 03/01/10 10:09 PM Re: Bank Policies Andy_Z
jaenelle Offline
Kansas
We divide ours into "pieces" and give the directors several policies at each meeting. They are divided according to length and/or complexity -- i.e. a bunch of the little, short, not-very-often changed ones together, and then the more difficult ones in smaller groups. The examiners have never complained about this system, to my knowledge.

Return to Top
#1350870 - 03/02/10 01:16 PM Re: Bank Policies jaenelle
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
There is no one way to do this, broken out over the year or in one chunk as Andy did with sufficient lead time for directors to review. Either is acceptable.

What is bad is to bring in to board meeting for a rubber stamp approval with no time for directors to review/discuss/ask questions.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1351022 - 03/02/10 04:29 PM Re: Bank Policies Kathleen O. Blanchard
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We spread our policies out over the year. I try to group certain ones, i.e. all BSA related in one shot or all IT related.

We do have two policies on an 18 month rollover and have not had examiners sniff at the decision - Record Retention and RTFPA policy statement. As well I jsut had to do two policies that are extremely narrow in focus and impact but the examiners want everything going to the boards these days. I've drafted them to allow fpr an 18 month cycle as well. Of course if some new Reg comes up that impact these, then we will go to the board with the changes.

As an aside, we have many policies to present and the number is growing. Are you finding yourselves in the same situation??

Return to Top
#1351291 - 03/02/10 09:39 PM Re: Bank Policies Trees
jaenelle Offline
Kansas
We have a LOT of policies -- in the neighborhood of 40, and increasing all the time. Our board already feels overburdened and I, as the board secretary, hate to give them anything else to deal with. But I have no choice. frown

Return to Top
#1353734 - 03/08/10 04:57 PM Re: Bank Policies jaenelle
JeanieH Offline
New Poster
Oklahoma
How do you deal with the various Regulations such as Z, RESPA? Do you write individual policies for approval or are they included in the general loan policy?

Return to Top
#1353739 - 03/08/10 04:58 PM Re: Bank Policies JeanieH
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Specific regulations generally have a procedure, not a policy.

The "policy" about compliance with regulations is often covered in a "compliance program" that is board approved.

Certain high profile regulations/laws vary from this rule of thumb (flood, appraisals, BSA, and such) which require (or prudence calls for ) board approval for a "program".
Last edited by MS Kaybee; 03/08/10 05:00 PM.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1353769 - 03/08/10 05:15 PM Re: Bank Policies Kathleen O. Blanchard
JeanieH Offline
New Poster
Oklahoma
Thank you Kathleen.

Return to Top
#1354133 - 03/08/10 11:50 PM Re: Bank Policies JeanieH
COnoCook Offline
New Poster
We have some policies go to the Board each month. If the policy is longer than 2 pages, we add either a footnote or a summary of the changes made "from what/to what" so the directors can be fully aware of the actual changes.

Return to Top