Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1439497 - 09/07/10 04:26 PM SAFE Act
Baker Offline
Platinum Poster
Washington State
I had management ask me what the penalties were for non-compliance. I did not see this addressed in the rule. Does anyone know?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1439503 - 09/07/10 04:31 PM Re: SAFE Act Baker
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Do you sell loans on the secondary market? I do not believe such loans will be accepted by Freddie or Fannie 180 days after the registry is up if they do not contain the registrants (MLO's) number.

While not a penalty, not every bank wants to hold a 30 year mtg in their portfolio.

Not sure if there are penalties. Does the final rule specify any?

Return to Top
#1439554 - 09/07/10 05:54 PM Re: SAFE Act QCL
Baker Offline
Platinum Poster
Washington State
Yes, we do. That is a good point!

Return to Top
#1439555 - 09/07/10 05:54 PM Re: SAFE Act Baker
Baker Offline
Platinum Poster
Washington State
No, I did not see a penalty section in the final rule.

Return to Top
#1439585 - 09/07/10 06:31 PM Re: SAFE Act Baker
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
How about a failure for your compliance program? I can't imagine a failure to comply will be taken lightly by regulators.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1440403 - 09/08/10 09:04 PM Re: SAFE Act Kathleen O. Blanchard
Moman Offline
Platinum Poster
WA
We have already had loans suspended on the secondary market for not providing our number and our originator's number. Go Figgure!! We are an FDIC regulated non-member bank.

Return to Top
#1440572 - 09/09/10 01:23 PM Re: SAFE Act Moman
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I'd make a few phone calls to the investors. Keep going up the food chain untilyou get someone who has a clue. Explain that since you are a federally regulated FI you are not able to get any identifiers yet. If they balk, refer them to this page of the NMLS website, then ask them if they know how you can get a number before anyone else.

http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/fedreg/Pages/default.aspx

Return to Top
#1441779 - 09/13/10 04:32 AM Re: SAFE Act Baker

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: baker
I had management ask me what the penalties were for non-compliance. I did not see this addressed in the rule. Does anyone know?

From a footnote in the discussion section of the SAFE Act:

Quote:
[bold]1 The OCC, Board, FDIC, and OTS have the
authority to take enforcement actions against their
respective Agency-regulated institutions and
individual employees of those institutions who
violate the S.A.F.E. Act and this final rule, pursuant
to 12 U.S.C. 1818.[/bold] The FCA has authority to take
enforcement actions against Farm Credit System
institutions and individual employees who violate
the S.A.F.E. Act and this final rule pursuant to Title
V, Part C of the Farm Credit Act of 1971, as
amended, 12 U.S.C. 2261 et seq. The NCUA has the
authority to take enforcement actions against
Federally-insured credit unions and their
employees who violate the S.A.F.E. Act and this
final rule under 12 U.S.C. 1786. For privately
insured credit unions, memoranda of understanding
between NCUA and applicable State supervisory
authorities will establish enforcement authority.

Review 12 USC 1818 (b)....cease and desist proceedings. It can be invoked for failure to comply with any law or regulation.

Return to Top
#1442015 - 09/13/10 04:51 PM Re: SAFE Act Kathleen O. Blanchard
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
I am working on a presentation to the lenders and I wanted to give some detail about the penalty for non-compliance.

I know it could mean a C&D for the bank, and I am assuming the MLO could lose their registration and not be allowed to originate loans any more, etc. But are there more specific details out there somewhere?

Return to Top
#1442041 - 09/13/10 05:38 PM Re: SAFE Act Many Hats
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Another question....I am revising our Home Equity loan/line applications to include language regarding the SAFE Act. (see below). Should we refer to the MLO's unique identifier as "MLO Unique Identifier" or "NMLS ID"?

"Title V of the Housing Economic Recovery Act of 2008, the Secure and Fair Enforcement Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (S.A.F.E. Act) is designed to enhance consumer protection and reduce fraud through the setting of minimum standards for the licensing and registration of mortgage loan originators (MLO's). Registration is required for MLO's who work for an insured depository institution. The following website will provide you with information about all MLO's who are either licensed or registered, www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org. The registered MLO who is employed by Name of Bank is listed below with their unique identifier. This identifier will be needed to access the information about a particular MLO.

Mortgage Loan Originator Name: _______
MLO Unique Identifier:___________ OR NMLS ID: __________

Return to Top
#1442043 - 09/13/10 05:39 PM Re: SAFE Act Many Hats

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The MLOs, as bank employees, are "institution affiliated parties" and as such can be put under an order by regulators, up to and including being banned from the industry.

From 12 USC 1818:

Quote:
If, in the opinion of the appropriate Federal banking agency, any insured depository institution, depository institution which has insured deposits, or any institution-affiliated party is engaging or has engaged, or the agency has reasonable cause to believe that the depository institution or any institution-affiliated party is about to engage, in an unsafe or unsound practice in conducting the business of such depository institution, or is violating or has violated, or the agency has reasonable cause to believe that the depository institution or any institution-affiliated party is about to violate, a law, rule, or regulation, or any condition imposed in writing by a Federal banking agency in connection with any action on any application, notice, or other request by the depository institution or institution-affiliated party, or any written agreement entered into with the agency, the appropriate Federal banking agency for the depository institution may issue and serve upon the depository institution or such party a notice of charges in respect thereof.

EDIT: If you review 12 USC 1818, you will see that there are monetary penalties available as well, both against the bank and employees, directors, etc.
Last edited by MS Kaybee; 09/13/10 05:47 PM.

Return to Top
#1442110 - 09/13/10 06:50 PM Re: SAFE Act Kathleen O. Blanchard
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Another question:

As I am reading this, I was wondering if it really applies to us? For example, what kind of third-party vendors is this referring to? We're mostly a commercial bank, but we do a residential loan or a HELOC/HELOAN here and there. The only third party vendors we have would be for obtaining credit reports, AVM's, flood, O&E's and tax service - and none of them would have to be licensed or registered.

"Review all contracts with third-party providers with which the Bank has arrangements related to mortgage loan origination and ensure that they include a provision attesting that the third party complies with the S.A.F.E. Act, including but not limited to appropriate licensing and/or registration of individuals acting as MLOs."

Return to Top
#1442151 - 09/13/10 07:28 PM Re: SAFE Act Many Hats

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
1. An example I can think of off the top of my head is a bank that wanted a third party (a builder) to be able to refer loans for a home improvement - the loans would be secured by the home. The bank wanted to be able to pay a fee to the contractor. The contractor would of course, under RESPA, have to earn the fee which was to include taking the application, etc. That would have required the contractor staff to have been licensed and registered under the state law where they operate. The plan was dropped.

2. Any third parties taking applications for a bank (contract staff perhaps?) could need to be licensed or registered.

3. How about requiring certification from correspondents that handle all or part of the process for the bank? I know some small banks that outsource parts of their process to larger banks, including telephone applications. You would want to make sure that institution was in compliance.

4. Some banks use outsourced call centers - and some of those take phone aps. As non-banks they would need licensing and registration.

Return to Top
#1508873 - 02/11/11 04:33 PM Re: SAFE Act Kathleen O. Blanchard
Comply101 Offline
100 Club
Does anyone see a problem with just designating a couple of lenders at each branch to be the go-to for mortgage related transactions?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z