BOL Conferences

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#146642 - 01/08/04 04:45 AM Meeting yourself
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
OK so we've all posted percentages and rankings, but how many people with your name have you met or know of?

I have worked for six companies since I graduated, and there has been somebody else with my name at half of them. It becomes quite a nuisance. Thankfully my doppelganger at my current employer recently left, so I am alone again. In fact on all three occasions the other guy has left before me.

There are also a number of other people around with my name - a US senator, a writer of inspirational/ religious books, a British journalist, a head of a teacher training college (in the UK), a banking consultant (in my field as well! ) and another guy who lives in the city where my parents still live - and my mother taught him at high school , to list the ones that I can remember off hand.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#146643 - 01/08/04 01:28 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
There are a couple of other Maria's in the branches, but I don't see them often, I only know them from the phone listing. Other than that, nope. And they said it was a popular name???

Return to Top
#146644 - 01/08/04 01:39 PM Re: Meeting yourself
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Even though my first name is fairly uncommon, there was another employee here with the same first and last name. It caused some confusion, especially since the name is uncommon enough that noone expects there to be two. At my previous employer, there were two other employees with first names close to mine. Precisely because my name is alittle off a more common name, people would assume they just heard wrong and direct calls to one of the others. Then one of those women left the bank, and alot of callers for me just got told "she left the bank!"

Return to Top
#146645 - 01/08/04 01:57 PM Re: Meeting yourself
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I checked and my first name is like the 10th most popular male name in the US but oddly enough, I have worked here 18 years and was the only Thomas here until last year.

Return to Top
#146646 - 01/08/04 02:01 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
With the name Autumn it doesn't happen very often. Every once in awhile I will meet someone with the same name, but they are always younger than I am.

Return to Top
#146647 - 01/08/04 04:05 PM Re: Meeting yourself
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Only once in 40 years, and she spelled it differently! Wonder what ever happened to Miss. Stefanelli?!?! She was pretty cool for Junior High!

Return to Top
#146648 - 01/08/04 04:22 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
There are not any other Angela's here, but there are a few at the branches.

My daughter's name is Skyler and there is actually another Sky in her class at school. Surprising since this is such a small town.

Return to Top
#146649 - 01/08/04 04:26 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
At one time I worked in a branch of about 15-20 and we had 3 Karens and 4 Judys! Now if that wasn't confusing!!!

Return to Top
#146650 - 01/08/04 04:30 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I saw myself on the news one time. I had killed someone! The odd thing is that, while I have a very common first name, according to the website referenced earlier, about 2,500 Americans share my last name.

Return to Top
#146651 - 01/08/04 05:00 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in a small town and there are two other people in town with the same same as me (same first, same middle initial, same last name). Also, our dates of birth are within a couple years of each other. I've never met either one. Funny thing is, we get our prescriptions filled at the same place and we all bank at the same place. It causes a lot of confusion.

Return to Top
#146652 - 01/08/04 05:16 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I've only met one other Lestie in my life. She was a friend of a friend in college. The one time we met - both of us were very uncomfortable. We weren't used to hearing our name and wondering if someone was talking to us!

Return to Top
#146653 - 01/08/04 05:24 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
Quote:

I saw myself on the news one time. I had killed someone!

Funny you should mention that, not too long ago we had the same problem with my brother-in-law, who at the time was posted in Saudi (since returned, now heading to Iraq...). He has a very common name, and when we saw that a Serviceman with his name in the Mid-East had killed a coworker we were naturally a little disturbed. Took us a couple of (stressful) days to get in touch and find out it wasn't him!

Return to Top
#146654 - 01/08/04 05:34 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

My maiden name was Felt, not very common. I always look in the phone book to see if I can find one. The first Felt in America came in 1628 at the age of 27. When I see historical markers for 1776, I think, wow, my family was already here 150 years!

Return to Top
#146655 - 01/08/04 05:50 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I met a photographer at stockholder's meeting I was shooting. We shared the same name. He GAVE me a Minolta Rokar 135MM lens that is my all-time favorite.

I also share a name with a govenor and another famous fine art photographer. I have never met either of them but the former regularly has the oportunity to tarnish my (our) good name! You can not live in fear and really live.

Return to Top
#146656 - 01/08/04 06:17 PM Re: Meeting yourself
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I had an identical twin so I suppose I met myself when I was born...though mom did give us different names.

Oddly enough Dawn isn't too common. I'm the only one here...well female that is. We have a few Don's, one who works on the same floor. His last name is somewhat similar to mine so when his clients come in to ask for him and pronounce it wrong, the loan secretaries send them to me. Normally they sit in my office a few mins, wondering why the heck they're here...and I sit here wondering why they're here...til one of us figures it out and I send them to the opposite corner of the building

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#146657 - 01/08/04 06:39 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I got a collection letter from a cell phone company in Germany in my name.....different address, but I got it just the same. For the record, it wasn't me. It was a different deadbeat Jeremy Peterson.

Return to Top
#146658 - 01/08/04 06:46 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
I've never worked with another Marilyn or even been in school with one. Then we moved here and my kid's PA is Marilyn.

We also never knew any other Pettit's until one moved into a house down the street from us and now I found out that it's more common than my maiden name.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#146659 - 01/08/04 07:19 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Happy Birthday LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
The only other Lois Lane I know of is the one who is a "special-friend" of the Super Man!

Return to Top
#146660 - 01/08/04 07:38 PM Re: Meeting yourself
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
My sister-in-law has my exact same name AND she works in banking in the same city! When she goes to local seminars they often get confused because they know me well enough and she doesn't look a thing like me! I guess they are thinking along the lines of Identity Theft to try in get into a banking seminar!!! Now there is a laugh for the day!

Return to Top
#146661 - 01/08/04 09:29 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
The bank had a customer with a first name of Peaches she married a guy named Cream and her full name was then "Peaches Ann Cream"

I kid you not

Return to Top
#146662 - 01/08/04 09:56 PM Re: Meeting yourself
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

The bank had a customer with a first name of Peaches she married a guy named Cream and her full name was then "Peaches Ann Cream"

I kid you not

at least his last name wasn't Herb!

Return to Top
#146663 - 01/08/04 10:13 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had a Merry Christmas- and that was her married name! What were the chances?

Return to Top
#146664 - 01/08/04 10:20 PM Re: Meeting yourself
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
We had a Barb Watson marry Jerry Wire and she became Barb Wire. It's the HTGT.

Return to Top
#146665 - 01/08/04 10:22 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

Funniest name I ever encountered in banking was a customer named "Mary" Street who married James Walker. Believe it or not she really did hyphenate and became "Mary" Street-Walker. I could hardly control my laughter every time she would walk into the branch.

Return to Top
#146666 - 01/08/04 10:32 PM Re: Meeting yourself
Bucko Offline
100 Club
Heartland
My husband used to have a hard time renting movies because there was another guy in our college town who had the same name and many overdue fines. It didn't matter which store we went to!

Also, I have a cousin who shares the name with one of the Columbine shooters. That was eerie to hear in the news.

I'm glad my first name is unique. Only 1275!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3