Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1478949 - 12/10/10 02:54 PM Exempt vs. Non-Exempt
jirving Offline
New Poster
Los Angeles, California
I hope that there is an HR Manager out there who can help. I am looking for current information regarding the percentage of exempt employees vs. non-exempt employees at the typical well run Bank. I realize there are many factors that will impact these numbers. However, my best guess is that at a well run bank exempt employees should not exceed 20% of the total staff. What do the professionals think?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1479435 - 12/11/10 02:15 AM Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt jirving
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Exempt vs non-exempt totally depends on the positions and job functions. A percentage factor would have no bearing.

Return to Top
#1479621 - 12/13/10 04:01 PM Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt jirving
complylady Offline
Platinum Poster
complylady
Michigan
Size of the bank and total number of employees would make a huge difference. We are a small bank with about 21 employees and about 33% exempt. President, COO, CFO, Senior Lender, Commercial Lender, Branch Manager, Compliance/BSA Officer.

Return to Top
#1479773 - 12/13/10 06:30 PM Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt complylady
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We have a total of 24 employees (22 Full-Time Equivalents); 33% of the total employees are exempt (President/CEO, SVP, CFO, SLO, 2 VP's, and 2 AVP's). I think this may vary widely amongst different banks, depending upon the number of branches, varying management philosophies, etc. and the percentage of exempt employees may not indicate how "well run" a given bank is, IMHO.

Return to Top
#1483556 - 12/21/10 06:47 PM Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt BurntSienna
Mom of Boys Offline
Mom of Boys
Maryland
You also have to look at the definitions under FLSA for job classifications.

Return to Top
#1494041 - 01/12/11 05:56 PM Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt Mom of Boys
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
Oh my...

RLCarey and Mulberry are very right here. If you are measuring well run in terms of exempt vs. non-exempt you are sort of missing the plot. Exempt and non-exempt are merely classifications of job type for reporting and other HR tediums, they are not meant to be indicators of anything beyond that. At all... or ever...

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry