Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#149183 - 01/13/04 04:27 PM Upcoming S&S Exam - Hot Topics
Last Mango Offline
Gold Star
Too Far From the Beach
May I have a few opinions on the hot topics in examinations? I've been to the Directors Corner in the FDIC website and have a few ideas of my own but would love to get your opinions.

Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#149184 - 01/13/04 04:38 PM Re: Upcoming S&S Exam - Hot Topics
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
We haven't received the written report yet for our FDIC exam that ended on 12/5, but assuming you have a separate IT exam, credit quality was the overriding concern. Specific areas were loan concentrations, geographic diversification, monitoring of loan covenants (especially waiving of covenants), relationship management for large out of local community lending, and interest rate risk. The usual suspects. With the improving asset quality and signs of improved economies, this was a non-event.

Return to Top
#149185 - 01/13/04 04:45 PM Re: Upcoming S&S Exam - Hot Topics
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We are just finishing a state Safety and Soundness exam and their hot topics were IT/Customer Information Security and BSA (suspicious activity monitoring and reporting). I would imagine the federal examiners are interested in the same things.

Return to Top
#149186 - 01/13/04 08:01 PM Re: Upcoming S&S Exam - Hot Topics
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
We had OTS in, and loans and asset quality, fair lending and BSA were really hot.

Return to Top
#149187 - 01/13/04 08:01 PM Re: Upcoming S&S Exam - Hot Topics
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Past dues - # of days, documented efforts to collect, charge off?
ODs - # of days (charged off after 30-45 days)
credit quality
significant credit relationships

Good luck

Return to Top
#149188 - 01/13/04 08:53 PM Re: Upcoming S&S Exam - Hot Topics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fine tune that Information Management-Safeguarding Customer Information program!

Return to Top
#149189 - 01/14/04 02:00 PM Re: Upcoming S&S Exam - Hot Topics
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Following up on the responses, you can see that hot topics really depend on which federal agency is your primary regulator because some have combined safety and soundness with compliance, some have separate IT exams (depending on the bank's size), and some have aggessive state regulators with their own hot bottons.

Return to Top