Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#15818 - 04/19/02 02:45 PM FDIC Rule? Deposit maximum
Strout Offline
100 Club
A beach in the USA
Is there some type of FDIC rule for a percentage limit on deposits from one person/entity? A state examiner mentioned something to senior management about this being a new rule. Supposedly, we cannot have more than 2% in deposits from any one entity. 2% of what, I have no idea.

I have searched high and low in the FDIC site and the state code (Virginia). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#15819 - 04/19/02 02:50 PM Re: FDIC Rule? Deposit maximum
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I don't know anything about that.

I recall Reigle-Neal in 1996 required interstate banks to report deposit sources and they couldn't have over X% of the deposits in a state... or something to that effect. John or some other person who is really up on deposit laws may remember if this could apply. As a small community bank, this isn't something I studied.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#15820 - 04/19/02 03:00 PM Re: FDIC Rule? Deposit maximum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another one of those cases of "examiner rules" maybe? I have never heard of anything like this.

BWest

Return to Top
#15821 - 04/19/02 10:08 PM Re: FDIC Rule? Deposit maximum
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
Shelley,

Why not ask your regulator for the section of the regs that covers this? I wouldn't hesitate to do this.

Return to Top
#15822 - 04/24/02 07:34 PM Re: FDIC Rule? Deposit maximum
Mom of Boys Offline
Mom of Boys
Maryland
As Andy noted Section 109 of the Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking and Branching Efficiency Act of 1994 addresses "Host State" loan-to-deposit ratios.

Return to Top