Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#165489 - 03/02/04 07:15 AM IT'S OVER!!!!!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Well - okay - technically, the West Coasters still have 54 minutes, and Alaska and Hawaii have 2 hours and 54 minutes left to file. Not sure about Guam - are there HMDA and CRA filers in Guam?

BUT IT'S OVER FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!! All the gnashing of teeth, the broken pencils, the spoken and upspoken obscenities at programs that aren't loading properly, or data that doesn't make sense until you find out that the loan officer forgot to add a couple of "zero's" in the Annual Revenue field, the TREASURE HUNT for Community Development Loans, the wondering of HOW we're supposed to fit some of our square peg loans into the CRA and HMDA round holes for data, trying to figure out WHEN a file was received, or when we took action, or if the darn thing is HMDABLE in the first place.......

***WHEW!!!!! Everyone gets to pile into Cleabatsu's for a well deserved drink.

Return to Top
CRA
#165490 - 03/02/04 01:51 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Bonnie...you're so right!! Now I have to try and figure out the 2004 version!!!!

Return to Top
#165491 - 03/02/04 02:30 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
Bonnie's got the right idea. A little bit of R&R, then back to the grindstone of HMDA and CRA, 2004 style.

Return to Top
#165492 - 03/02/04 04:18 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Filed HMDA Sunday evening (9:00 pm) and CRA on Monday (6:00 pm). (BTW, was the deadline midnight? Sorry, just can't do the math today.) Then drove an hour to my son's game and still missed getting to see him play.

Now it's time to repair fences at work, there are some people that just couldn't understand that I couldn't drop everything and research their questions these last 2 weeks. There are also a couple of lenders that felt that their coding errors -- typos -- were no big deal and resented that I asked them to fix it and give it back to me for correction. Grrrrrrrrrrr

But, to those software techs that were so patient and kind, thank you, thank you. To my fellow BOLers who were so patient, kind, informative, and sympathetic THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Anyone want to join me in the cooler later today, I'll be the one sitting in front of the margaritas, first one is on me.

Return to Top
#165493 - 03/02/04 04:59 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Don't you think Congress should declare March 2nd as a Compliance Officer's Holiday?!

Return to Top
#165494 - 03/02/04 07:27 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
What a GREAT idea!!!

Return to Top
#165495 - 03/02/04 11:57 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I declared the 1st as a holiday...well at 10 am after we hit the "go" button on HMDA and CRA. I'd just had ENOUGH! and I felt like I'd been run over by a dog sled

I say it every year...NEVER NEVER NEVER again...(til next year)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#165496 - 03/03/04 03:40 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am so curious. What is the earliest you have ever filed your data? Stated another way -- by how many hours or days have you beaten the deadline, either this year, or in the past?

From the bankers I've talked to, there are lots of folks who have to struggle with this until the eleventh hour, racing like crazy to get it done.

Return to Top
#165497 - 03/03/04 04:12 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Two business days early is the most we have ever beaten the deadline. There is so much cleanup (especially for CRA)and treasurer hunting for CD loans that goes on. Different and poorly written procedures, different loan systems, turnover, and inconsistent training/followup through the year contribute to nightmares in February of every year.

Return to Top
#165498 - 03/03/04 05:10 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I filed by the 26th this year. I agree with Don's assessment as to the factors that contribute to the mess.

Return to Top
#165499 - 03/03/04 05:28 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
This year I sent my first HMDA file out of here on the 25th. It was a small one. The last, and largest, was sent on the 27th. In the past, I've managed to have them done by the 2nd week in February, but it's been several years since that's happened.

Return to Top
#165500 - 03/03/04 06:19 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I don't even have the data by the second week of February! I wanna work at your bank

I feel like a Friday filing on a Monday deadline is pretty much the earliest I'll ever manage to file. As with everyone else I'm always doing the last second clean up as well as a review of CD potential (even though the eventual number I file never is accurate to what I have in my exam)

This year I decided to freak myself out and did a spot test of HMDA declines. What the heck was I thinking!!! Sometimes I just want to hit my anal self in the head and let it go, messy or not, but no...I have to be picky

Return to Top
#165501 - 03/03/04 08:20 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal

"I wanna work at your bank"

Maybe not - we still manually enter over 70% of our HMDA entries. For 2003, we reported over 35,000 LAR entries (and virtually all of the non-originated files get a second review).

Return to Top
#165502 - 03/03/04 08:23 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Last year I was done about 3 weeks early. Then I mentioned to a mortgage lender how bad their business was that year. "It was one of our best" she said. Then I discovered they were not exporting files properly and I didn't know I wasn't getting all the files. We had to identify the problem, find the files that had been excluded and put a check and balance procedure in place to prevent recurrences.

Then I was reading, on BOL I might add, about purchased loans reporting. That made me think that we had for the first time purchased loans and they were not reported.

My LAR virtually doubled with these additions.

Finished early, not since the rules changed some years ago.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#165503 - 03/03/04 10:19 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I filed the HMDA report on January 14, and the CRA report on January 15.

Return to Top
#165504 - 03/03/04 10:22 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Uh, Steve, I think you should be glad that this is cyberspace. You might get run over in the parking lot otherwise.

Return to Top
#165505 - 03/03/04 11:15 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
OK Steve, are we talking small bank with 50 entries or are we talking big bank and thousands and thousands and you are just so well organized we'll be buying your book soon? You should be able to write a book if this is the case.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#165506 - 03/04/04 12:40 AM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LOL YA! what Andy and Dawg said! (I wanted to hit ya as soon as I read "January") But since I'm a nice girl..I'll just send you a computer virus

Return to Top
#165507 - 03/04/04 01:16 AM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Shows how 20th Century I still am.... I was contemplating various voodoo dolls.......

Return to Top
#165508 - 03/04/04 01:51 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Hey, Mary Beth asked, so I answered.

The CRA report is always simple, since we really do very little other than 1-4 family residential. The HMDA report is another matter. Last year's report had almost 650 loans.

My practice is to import all dispositions from the previous month into the HMDA software, and scrub them. Doing that every month is a bit tedious at times, but it is well worth it come January. And, my staff is very good at putting complete and accurate data in the loan origination software right from the get go.

There are no hard and fast rules to this. Just hard ones.

Return to Top
#165509 - 03/04/04 02:08 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
I had 10,000+ loans and filed on Friday the 13th (of February)! I also import loans to my HMDA software monthly and perform the scrub. I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't!!!

Return to Top
#165510 - 03/04/04 03:16 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Alright, dang it, filed HMDA on 2/29 (1,299 loans) and CRA on 3/1 (594 loans). Loan admin enters the data to a database which I import to CRA Wiz and review, correct, and submit.

On top of submission, I have a high school senior who was being recruited to play soccer (had to make those college visits) and we finished up the soccer season and started the baseball season.

Just happy to have made the deadline, got my CRA summary and edit report yesterday, HMDA this morning. Next year will be better, I just know it will.

Return to Top
#165511 - 03/04/04 05:50 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
SanibelGal Offline
SanibelGal
Fla
renniks and Hmdagal,

Just out of curiosity - how large is your bank? You both mentioned such large figures, my biggest HMDA LAR ever was just over 1700. How do you do it?

Return to Top
#165512 - 03/04/04 06:09 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I file about 10,000 records between the two submissions (3,000 to 4,000 HMDA, balance CRA) annually. We too scrub monthly after upload into the Wiz, but I also preform testing on the data quarterly as well as annually (two different types of scrubs) and I do a spot check because I'm a paranoid freak and I don't want to see error ratios over 1%.

With all the time I spend, every year some stupid thing goes haywire. Last year the lenders discovered ABC loans (my term for Abundance of Caution BS) This year IT thought it would clean the hard drives and threw away the working file because it looked "duplicate". Lenders discovered the lovely code 3 revenue code and forgot the difference between a not for profit and a for profit. Honestly, I think they get together in March and decide on some new twist to throw at me! This year I expect consumer loans booked as commercial or some other silly stuff

Oh and for the person who asked I'm a $2.2 Billion dollar bank. We are not a mortgage lender primarily (we're the number one small business bank in our state). Mortgage lending is just a side line. I think we fall something like 10 in the state in mortage lending typically.

Return to Top
#165513 - 03/04/04 06:16 PM Re: IT'S OVER!!!!!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Quote:

ABC loans (my term for Abundance of Caution BS)

This made me laugh

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2