Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1610813 - 09/29/11 07:56 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Indy Banker
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Our bank was also recently trapped by the Reward Checking verbiage in our most recent FDIC Compliance Exam. Apparently, since this is becoming such a hot topic, our FDIC office took it upon themselves to make an "example" out of our little community bank. Among other things, we are required to make restitution on a specific group of accounts from 2006 (when Reward Checking was implemented at our bank) to present and we are also under a Board Resolution giving the FDIC quarterly compliance updates until they return to do their next exam. We too are seeking assistance from our vendor. I think I'll be saying "Post and Clear" in my sleep for quite a while! Anyone else experiencing this as well?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1610901 - 09/29/11 09:30 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Sci_Comply
SUSANE1 Offline
Platinum Poster
Was there anything else the FDIC caught you on regarding these Reward Checking account?

Return to Top
#1611016 - 09/30/11 01:32 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC SUSANE1
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Yes, we also have a Smart Saver savings account that is tied to the Reward Checking account. The interest that is paid on the Reward was being automatically swept into the Saver account to promote "savings". This is how the two products were promoted to us by the vendor. FDIC says that the interest is not compounding correctly so that was another UDAAP.

Return to Top
#1637529 - 12/09/11 06:08 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Sci_Comply
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Anyone had any issues on this with the OCC?

Return to Top
#1641617 - 12/21/11 03:20 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
Brandy Brennan Offline
New Poster
I have recently heard of a bank in my area being cited for this issue by the FDIC.

Return to Top
#1661365 - 02/06/12 10:59 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Tesla
ackcompliance Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: Slave
Anyone had any issues on this with the OCC?

I am wondering this as well......I haven't heard anything about these UDAAP violations until now but most of them seem to be coming from the FDIC.

Return to Top
#1676186 - 03/12/12 03:02 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
rebpeb Offline
Where in the Regs does it state that a bank can not specify transactions be of a certain dollar amount?

Return to Top
#1677292 - 03/14/12 01:57 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
ImGoinNuts Offline
100 Club
I'm not sure if my Marketing Department just wants me to be completely crazy or what - but we have Rewards Checking - went through FDIC scrutiny this summer - we did great (we have disclosed clearly) - but now Marketing wants to offer a special rate on this product for accounts who refer-a-freind. Somethings smells UDAP to me - also the special rate is only in effect for 6 months, then it goes back to our normal rates (which are about half what they are offering on the special rate). Im I just being paranoid? Or isn't there a concern with increasing rates for just these people for just this period of time?
Last edited by Alwayscompliant; 03/14/12 03:09 PM.

Views expressed are my own and not those of my employer.

Return to Top
#1684545 - 03/31/12 03:12 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I don't even think that the Rewards Checking vendor will sign off on that - I would talk to them (the vendor).

If you use the same vendor that I do, I believe their preferred option is $xx paid to the referee after the referall's account has been opened for 90 days......

Return to Top
#1726819 - 08/02/12 08:25 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC RBanker
CrookedVulture Offline
100 Club
I've been through this thread and a few others regarding CHIRO-05-2007 and I'm still slightly confused.

In the bulleted list of "important points to remember", it's very clear from the first bullet point that completely eliminating the payment of interest based on anything other than minimum balance requirements is forbidden. My question is in regards to the second bullet point. The bullet point reads, "Banks may not require that transactions be of a certain dollar value (individually or in aggregate)." Does that mean that banks are forbidden from requiring a certain dollar value of transactions in order to trigger a higher interest rate for the customer (even though the customer would still be earning interest if they didn't meet the trigger)?

As an example - a bank has an account that pays 1% APY (minimum balance to earn interest is $1). The account will pay 2% if the customer makes at least 10 debit card transactions that total at least $100 in a statement cycle. If the customer doesn't meet that threshold, they'll still earn the 1% interest (assuming they have a $1 minimum balance), they just miss out on the "rewards rate". Is that type of account structure prohibited under the second bullet point in CHIRO-05-2007?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Return to Top
#1726907 - 08/03/12 12:33 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Yes, CV, that is prohibited. Just like you said: "Banks may not require that transactions be of a certain dollar value (individually or in aggregate)."

Return to Top
#1734504 - 08/23/12 08:17 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
It's interesting to read the above on the minimum transaction. We have a local bank competitor that has been hammering their reward checking heavily in the past months. Their radio ads specify that it's "so easy" and doesn't require a "bunch of work like the others do, with minimum balances and all that", then goes on to list their 4-5 requirements (which I find hilarious after their opening). One of the stated requirements is that the 15 transactions must be at least $10. Of course, management here is now wondering why we don't have that implemented on our product. We have several people using the checking as an investment tool and make a dozen $.50 or less transactions near month end and that's it, so it would benefit us to have this restriction...but it seems pretty clear that it's not allowed.

I'm assuming that they would still pay the regular checking account rate if the account didn't qualify for the higher rate on a given month, but who knows. Part of me wants to send them a nice little note about it smile

Return to Top
#1734581 - 08/24/12 12:01 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Matt_B, let the competition fry -- when they get examined and get hammered for UDAP and Reg DD, they will spend alot of time, money, and man-hours righting the ship -- which will be good for your Bank smile

Return to Top
#1734694 - 08/24/12 02:24 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I can hope for that, sure. They're similar in size to us and one of our more relevant competitors.

Doesn't solve the "Why aren't we doing that? Obviously they're getting away with it!" discussion laugh

Return to Top
#1734738 - 08/24/12 03:21 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bob The Banker
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker
Yes, CV, that is prohibited. Just like you said: "Banks may not require that transactions be of a certain dollar value (individually or in aggregate)."

Where are the relevant sections of Reg DD from which bullets 1 and 2 refer to in the 2007 CHIRO bulletin?

Return to Top
#1762400 - 11/29/12 06:50 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Anyone ever pin-point what part of Reg DD (or any other regulation) that the transaction minimum violates??

Return to Top
#2000187 - 03/06/15 02:48 PM Re: Reward Checking Bulletin from FDIC Bank Card
Snowmann Offline
Is there any information that someone can point me to regarding the verbiage of "monthly qualifcation cycle" for a rewards program? I believe this is something that a specific vendor (that we are not using) pushes with their Rewards products and template TIS disclosures, but i am wondering if this is simply just the verbiage that their compliance department uses, or if this is regulatory in nature.

I was originally looking at using "monthly statement cycle", and being extrememely clear on the transaction posting timelines that is mentioned throughout this thread.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  John Burnett