Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1726473 - 08/02/12 03:32 PM Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title?
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
New one for me. Customer asked for a new GFE without Owner's Title quoted, this is a purchase transaction.

Are we allowed to prepare a GFE on a purchase w/o Owner's title?

Does this qualify as a changed circumstance?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1726480 - 08/02/12 03:40 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Well, rule says for a purchase that it has to be quoted.

What is the borrowers motivation for it being removed?

I say it is a risked based decision on your end if you wish to or not... IMO, if it means losing a deal, I would not fight it and document the file accordingly.

Return to Top
#1726487 - 08/02/12 03:46 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
They say they are not going to get it, so they don't want it on the GFE. Course they are not shopping the loan anyway so I do not understand it either.

Thanks.

Anyone else ever run into this? What would you do?

Return to Top
#1726488 - 08/02/12 03:46 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I would agree. Get the customer to sign something demanding it be removed.

Then, ask them to file a complaint with the Bureau for making you put it on there to begin with. whistle

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1726497 - 08/02/12 03:51 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
The knowledge is they know they're not going to get it.
The other little bit of knowledge they obviously don't have is that this is a government regulation they're asking you to break.
I'd probably put it on and give them a cover letter saying 'RESPA requires it but here's what the numbers will look like without it. Hope this satisfies your request.' (of course, you'll write it in a much nicer Southern way. wink )

Return to Top
#1726501 - 08/02/12 03:56 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I would prefer to put it in a much more formal matter of fact northern way, but I probably would not be allowed to post that veribage here. blush

Return to Top
#1726504 - 08/02/12 03:57 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? Truffle Royale
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
(of course, you'll write it in a much nicer Southern way. wink )

Not me, I don't do this ---- wait for it................
It's not in my job description!!!!!

However, I think everything else is.

Thanks,

Return to Top
#1726507 - 08/02/12 03:58 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
KPOC Offline
Gold Star
KPOC
Greater Boston Area
Owner's title is the best premium you will ever pay. Why would anyone not get it?

I would keep it on the GFE and just remove it at settlement if they choose not to get it. If the customer wants a total of fees without owner's title included you can create a quick Excel sheet to show the total.

Return to Top
#1726512 - 08/02/12 04:01 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
fwiw, I agree with KPOC in wondering why anyone would not get owners.

Besides, don't sellers pay for it in the South? They do up here!

Return to Top
#1726519 - 08/02/12 04:05 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
KPOC Offline
Gold Star
KPOC
Greater Boston Area
Are you sure the buyers understand it? Do they know it's a one-time premium that protects them as long as they own the home?

I agree with Truffle, the borrower needs to negotiate the seller to pay closing costs. That's how we do it too.

Return to Top
#1726553 - 08/02/12 04:35 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The disclosure of the OTI on the GFE for purchase transactions is mandatory by regulation, it is not an option, regardless who is paying for it.

Would you violate the flood rules because the borrower asked you to? Of course not so why would you consider violating the RESPA rules?

Willful violations can carry severe penalties.

Return to Top
#1726585 - 08/02/12 04:56 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Okay, that was my thoughts too. The LO already did one like this. Going forward, no more. It is required to be there, we can give a separate sheet listing the charges as they stand today, but not on a GFE form. (Heck, they might want to sue us for RESPA violations and get a free loan.)

Thanks all.

Return to Top
#1726598 - 08/02/12 05:09 PM Re: Changed Circumstance - Remove Owner's Title? SMQ, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Good point, SMQ! I don't think I've had a borrower scrutinze a GFE enough to care...

I did have one call, however, recently about intangible taxes. wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL