Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#174205 - 03/27/04 08:00 PM Life's Tests
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Seems we are going through some of life's tests right now. I'd like to ask my Christian brothers and sisters for their support in prayer. Here's what's going on.

Last month my wife had knee replacement surgery. She spent a week in the hospital and has been on a walker with partial weight bearing on her leg since. A couple of weeks ago she had her first follow-up with her surgeon. Seems she is in the minority of patients that develop scar tissue internally much heavier and faster than normal. The scar tissue is developing in her knee faster than the physical therapy can keep the knee loose like it needs to be. So she is not getting the relief and range of motion she should be. She is still having to use the walker and is quite discouraged at this point. The doctor has told her that he is trying a different therapy route (water therapy) and also has her on some different medication to try to reduce swelling. He wants to try this for about 4 or 5 weeks. He gives it about 50/50 odds of helping improve the situation. If it does not work, at the end of that 5 weeks, he is going to bring her back in, numb her leg, and manually manipulate the joint to break up all the internal scar tissue. This will also set her recovery back some in and of itself, although in the long run, she'll have better mobility than she would if she doesn't do it. So we are dealing with this challenge. Up till now, I've been her legs. I've been getting her everything she needs, taking her where she needs to go, and just generally helping her with everything.

Well now we've had a major setback. This past Thursday morning I was in an automobile accident. I got banged and bruised up all over so I'm pretty sore still. Also, I fractured my right foot in two places and did some ligament damage in the joint in the middle of the foot. The orthopaedic doctor says at this point he doesn't think he'll need to do surgery, but is concerned because he says this is a complex injury. His treatment option really adds to our test. I've now got a cast on my right foot and leg. I cannot put any weight on the right foot for the next 6 weeks. After that, I'll need the cast for another 2 weeks, but will be able to put weight on the foot. Then I'll need an orthopaedic device insert in my shoe for another 6 months. Also, since it is my right foot, I cannot drive for the next 8 weeks.

So now, neither my wife nor I can walk much. My wife can drive again, but it is difficult for her to get in and out of the van. Neither of us can carry much because we both have our hands full with walker and crutches. Fortunately our children are old enough that they don't need the kind of care that young children do. And they can help around the house a lot. And our church and sunday school class are amazing with the prayers and support they provide. But I'd just like to have you guys praying for us during these trials also. I sure appreciate all the believers I've found through BOL and know you would want to know about this going on in my life. Thank you.

Your brother in Christ,
Jim

Return to Top
#174206 - 03/27/04 08:04 PM Re: Life's Tests
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You got it.

And years from now, you'll look back on this and laugh.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#174207 - 03/27/04 09:09 PM Re: Life's Tests
SanibelGal Offline
SanibelGal
Fla
Magic,

You and your wife are in my prayers for speedy and complete recoveries!

Your accident couldn't have come at a worse time. It must be difficult knowing that you cannot help like you want to. Shortly after my mom's surgery for a double knee replacement, my dad had 2 heart attacks and was unable to help me with my mom's care. I ended up helping both of them for several months.

I also can sympathize with your foot, as I was in a boot cast and no walking on my left foot for almost 12 weeks during Oct,Nov, and Dec of last year due to a fall and then surgery to repair the ligaments.

I wish for all of you the best and speediest of recoveries to good health, and that with God's help you both will be well soon!

Take care and God Bless!

Return to Top
#174208 - 03/28/04 03:09 AM Re: Life's Tests
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
MB,
The way I was taught to pray is quite different from the norm, so-to-speak, but if it helps, I will pray that it be revealed to you and your wife that you have always been, and will always be, perfect reflections of G-d since He created us in His image. It is our own belief in sickness, injury, and sin that prevents us from seeing our true selves in Him.

G-d created the Universe and everything in it, and when he finished "G-d saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good." Therefore, in In G-d's true creation, there is no room for anything that is not perfect.

I pray that the perfection in you and your wife be revealed to you both by His Grace and Love.

Amen.

Return to Top
#174209 - 03/29/04 01:15 AM Re: Life's Tests
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Jim, I'm not one for a lot of words (except when it comes to compliance ), but my thoughts and prayers or with you, your wife and your children.

Return to Top
#174210 - 03/29/04 01:01 PM Re: Life's Tests
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Thoughts and prayers from Mass coming your way Jim!

Return to Top
#174211 - 03/29/04 01:12 PM Re: Life's Tests
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Jim, you and your wife will be added to our prayer list. Take of yourself and her.

Return to Top
#174212 - 03/29/04 01:25 PM Re: Life's Tests
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Best wishes and a speedy recovery to you both. Remember, we are never given more than what we can endure.

Return to Top
#174213 - 03/29/04 02:49 PM Re: Life's Tests
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Jim,

I will be lifting you and your wife up before the throne of grace, brother. Just remember: the will of God will never take you to something that the grace of God will not bring you through.

Return to Top
#174214 - 03/29/04 02:56 PM Re: Life's Tests
Tiger Fan Offline
100 Club
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you and your wife a speedy recovery!!!

Return to Top
#174215 - 03/29/04 03:07 PM Re: Life's Tests
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Jim, A big Texas howdy to you. You'll be on some prayer lists for healing and your situation in general. I will also be praying for you to have patience, or more of it, because I didn't have that much when I was in a walking boot with a broken bone in my foot for several weeks a couple of years ago. Please keep us informed of you and your wife's progress.
Last edited by wacokid; 03/29/04 03:10 PM.
Return to Top
#174216 - 03/29/04 03:23 PM Re: Life's Tests
Jay Bruce Offline
Platinum Poster
Jay Bruce
The New Loft Chamber
Jim,

We lift up you and your wife to God in prayer. May He minister to your needs. May the local church rise up and help bear your burdens. And, above all, may our Lord display his power and glory in the midst of your circumstances, even as the Apostle Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 12,

But the Lord said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

"A man in a kilt is a man and a half!"

Return to Top
#174217 - 03/29/04 04:19 PM Re: Life's Tests
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Jim,

A rosary will be said for you and your wife's speedy and successful recovery. God Bless.

Marilyn

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#174218 - 03/29/04 08:34 PM Re: Life's Tests
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
You and your wife are now on my prayer list. May God send His grace and blessings to you and your family in this your time of special need.

Return to Top
#174219 - 03/30/04 06:26 AM Re: Life's Tests
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
You and your wife will be in our prayers. Be safe.

Return to Top
#174220 - 03/30/04 02:47 PM Re: Life's Tests
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
I pray that you and your wife will be filled with God's peace, and that you will be touched with His healing according to His will. He is able to do far above what we can ask or think. Take care.

Return to Top
#174221 - 03/31/04 08:24 PM Re: Life's Tests
rexinaudit Offline
Gold Star
rexinaudit
New England
Hello Jim,

The following excellent book may be helpful and comforting, if and when you have time for reading:

Description form the publisher:

[b]Walking Through Shadows[/b]
Ken Ham and Carl Wieland; foreword by Dr. John MacArthur

Pages: 144
Format: Hardcover book
Published by: Master Books (2002)

"Many thanks for your book on ‘the world of pain’, Walking through Shadows. It is so thoughtfully written. I am a Christian nurse and often am bewildered by all the adversity that many live with. Your honest testimony to God’s ability to heal, but sovereignty in the giving of healing, was the best that I have read. I have shared your position [and] I feel that your book is one that I could pass along. The presentation of both stories [by Carl Wieland and Ken Ham] in the same volume gave balance to a thorny subject."
— L.H., Everett, WA.

Since the terror attacks on the United States, more then ever people are asking basic, though deep, questions. Why would God allow this suffering? What does life on this planet mean? What about when bad things happen to Christians?

Author Ken Ham describes his family's recent years of horror and heartbreak, as his beloved brother Robert, a dynamic young preacher of the Gospel, died a long, awful death from a rare degenerative brain disease.

Author Carl Wieland, former physician and editor of Creation magazine, recalls his own personal tragedy in a horrific Australian outback car accident twenty years ago, which left him horribly mangled and a breath away from death, followed by some stunning interventions.

By drawing on their own experiences, and those of others, then using the Bible to answer the hard questions and show why reality has been skewed by anti-God philosophies, they present remarkable answers for hurting people.

The book can be ordered here,among other places. There are also excerpts available online. [url=http://shop2.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/AIGUS.storefront/406af78d00d6a5552719ccfd844c070a/Product/View/10&2D2&2D142]Walking Through Shadows[/url]

Return to Top
#174222 - 03/31/04 09:40 PM Re: Life's Tests
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Jim,

It's tough to let go of that control we all want over our day to day lives, but now that you have less of a choice in the matter for a few weeks, be sure and let your friends and brothers and sisters help you. Someone told me recently that by not allowing others to help you and minister to you when you need it, you're keeping them from using the gifts God gave them!

I know you'll be blessed through this, and you're in my prayers for quick healing and peace and comfort!

Return to Top
#174223 - 04/02/04 01:51 PM Re: Life's Tests
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Jim,

My prayers are with you both for a speedy recovery, and for patience and serenity in your hearts while you face the rough time ahead. May the comforting hand of God be upon you both.

Return to Top
#174224 - 04/02/04 02:42 PM Re: Life's Tests
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
God be with you and your wife. I'm sorry you have the added issues with your own health now, and I'm also praying for a speedy recovery for you both.

Return to Top
#174225 - 04/08/04 09:02 PM Re: Life's Tests
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
See my latest update in this post. Thanks to all for your kind thoughts and sincere prayers. They mean the world to both Lynne and me.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett