Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1767395 - 12/13/12 10:24 PM Credit Dispute with Form Letter
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
I have a credit dispute letter that looks like a form letter from a company or something. It does have our customers account number, but the signature doesn't appear to be a true signature (and it doesn't match what we have record of). The loan was made six years ago and paid off four years ago. The wording in just says that they want more than only a non-detailed overview. They want a thorough validation. This is one of those notices than can go on and on and on. Do I have any options like considering it incomplete and responding that way?

Return to Top
#1767441 - 12/14/12 01:38 PM Re: Credit Dispute with Form Letter Compliance Lover
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What are they disputing or are they just asking for an account history? You didn't mention whether or not this is even a dispute.

Return to Top
#1767470 - 12/14/12 03:07 PM Re: Credit Dispute with Form Letter rlcarey
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
Well, the word dispute isn't in there. It says to kindly provide validation regarding account data that has been provided to the credit bureaus. It says they believe "damaging institutional error may be in the file".

Return to Top
#1767473 - 12/14/12 03:10 PM Re: Credit Dispute with Form Letter Compliance Lover
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Send them a loan history and move on.

Return to Top
#1767474 - 12/14/12 03:15 PM Re: Credit Dispute with Form Letter Compliance Lover
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It does not qualify as a dispute unless they identify specific information being disputed. They are not allowed to go on a fishing trip and be covered under the FCRA.

(D) Submitting a notice of dispute. A consumer who seeks to dispute the accuracy of information shall provide a dispute notice directly to such person at the address specified by the person for such notices that –

(i) identifies the specific information that is being disputed;

(ii) explains the basis for the dispute; and

(iii) includes all supporting documentation required by the furnisher to substantiate the basis of the dispute.

Return to Top