Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1785088 - 02/12/13 03:24 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down MyBrainHurts
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Since the Pope is deemed to be infallible when speaking on Church Doctrine, this is a huge admission on his part.

Just a point of clarification, very little of what popes say on church doctrine is considered infallible. In fact, no teaching since 1950 has been considered infallible. That statement was regarding the Assumption of Mary. The previous statement was in the 19th century, in regard to the Immaculate Conception.

Not an expert on Canon Law, so i've found this tidbit...when speaking "ex cathedra" he is deemed to be infallible

Quote:
Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church".[2]

This doctrine was defined dogmatically in the First Vatican Council of 1869–1870, but had been defended before that.

According to Catholic theology, there are several concepts important to the understanding of infallible, divine revelation: Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and the Sacred Magisterium. The infallible teachings of the Pope are part of the Sacred Magisterium, which also consists of ecumenical councils and the "ordinary and universal magisterium". In Catholic theology, papal infallibility is one of the channels of the infallibility of the Church. The infallible teachings of the Pope must be based on, or at least not contradict, Sacred Tradition or Sacred Scripture.

The doctrine of infallibility relies on one of the cornerstones of Catholic dogma: that of petrine supremacy of the pope, and his authority to be the ruling agent in deciding what will be accepted as formal beliefs in the Roman Catholic Church.[3] The clearest example (though not the only one)[4] of the use of this power, referred to as speaking ex cathedra[5] expressed since the solemn declaration of papal infallibility by Vatican I on July 18, 1870, took place in 1950 when Pope Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as being an article of faith for Roman Catholics.[6] This authority is considered by Catholics to be apostolic and of divine origin. Prior to the solemn definition of 1870, Pope Boniface VIII in the Bull Unam Sanctam of 1302,[7][8][9] Pope Eugene IV in the Bull Cantate Domino of 1441,[10][11][12] and Pope Pius IX in the Papal constitution Ineffabilis Deus of 1854[13][14] have all spoken "ex cathedra".

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1785101 - 02/12/13 03:38 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
As I recall from twelve years of Catholic school, "ex cathedra" or " from the chair" is indeed deemed infallible. But as pointed out, a pope has spoken "ex cathedra" only once in the last hundred or so years. Ths current Pope, a known scholar, has not used "ex cathedra".

Return to Top
#1785104 - 02/12/13 03:40 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
::wonders if I can use ex momedra at home while sitting in my chair:: Hmmmmmm

Return to Top
#1785110 - 02/12/13 03:48 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down cheekEE
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
It's clear that they are opening the throne for the 'Chosen One', who just happens to be available now.....Ray Lewis.

Return to Top
#1785111 - 02/12/13 03:49 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down raitchjay
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
I'm curious if the Church will appoint a pope more in line with where the Church is strongest (ETA: or making the largest gains) in today's world, i.e., from Latin America, Africa, etc.

This is definitely a topic of hot debate. I think of the 3 considered 'most likely to succeed' 2 are from Africa. The other is a Canookian.

Return to Top
#1785112 - 02/12/13 03:49 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down Bankster
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: GoBucs
It's clear that they are opening the throne for the 'Chosen One', who just happens to be available now.....Ray Lewis.

I heard LeBron was going.

Return to Top
#1785115 - 02/12/13 03:50 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down E.E.G.B
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I'm curious what South Park will do with this

Return to Top
#1785116 - 02/12/13 03:50 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down raitchjay
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
I'm curious if the Church will appoint a pope more in line with where the Church is strongest (ETA: or making the largest gains) in today's world, i.e., from Latin America, Africa, etc.

Possibly, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they elevate a charismatic European in an effort to stem the decline of the church's influence across Europe.

Return to Top
#1785117 - 02/12/13 03:51 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Personal attack.
Last edited by QCL; 02/12/13 06:23 PM.

Return to Top
#1785118 - 02/12/13 03:54 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down grmasterb
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: grmasterb

Possibly, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they elevate a charismatic European in an effort to stem the decline of the church's influence across Europe.

Other than possibly the 'charismatic' part, isn't that what they always do?

Return to Top
#1785120 - 02/12/13 03:56 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
There is talk about the Italians pushing to bring a local to the throne of the Papacy. Cardinals from the Americas have a sizeable amount of votes and are already being courted.

Return to Top
#1785129 - 02/12/13 04:02 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down Peepers
arye23 Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Peepers
I'm curious what South Park will do with this

Star Wars themed episode, since Benedict does resemble Palpatine?

Return to Top
#1785130 - 02/12/13 04:02 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
There was a conspiracy theory floating about when Pope Benedict XVI was selected as the next Pope. Had to do with him being either the next to last or 3rd to last Pope. Was pretty interesting at the time. I would expect it to come up again now.

Return to Top
#1785169 - 02/12/13 05:23 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Really? I never saw that. Interesting.

Return to Top
#1785174 - 02/12/13 05:28 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Did anyone else see this awesome lightening photo of the Vatican?

Return to Top
#1785179 - 02/12/13 05:35 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
I have read some interesting books on the subject, some historical, some fiction. One is called "The Entity" and speaks more to the clandestine operatives within the Church and what they have done since the middle ages to "assist" with Church Doctrine, very eye opening if only 1/2 is true. Another is called "The Accidental Pope" and it is about a former priest who left the Church to get married and have a family, and 20+ years later is somehow elected Pope. Very good novel. Both cover in great detail the secret workins of the College of Cardinals and the Conclave to elect the Pope.

A very long time ago I read a fictional book called "The Final Conclave". It too provided a fascinating look at the process.

Return to Top
#1785187 - 02/12/13 05:42 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Off I go to see if I can download any of these. Thanks fot the titles.

Return to Top
#1785191 - 02/12/13 05:45 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down Truffle Royale
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

Did a little research. It is known as the "Prophecy of the Popes" and came from Saint Malachy in the 12th Century. Supposedly the successor to Benedict will be the last Pope and will be known as Petrus Romanus or "Peter the Roman." This could result in much intrigue depending on who is chosen to be the next Pope. I believe the prophecy even indicated that the Pope before Petrus Romanus would step down from the Papacy.

Return to Top
#1785192 - 02/12/13 05:47 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down Bacon Boy
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: Bacon BooBoo
Did anyone else see this awesome lightening photo of the Vatican?

Great picture. Coincidence, or not?

Return to Top
#1785197 - 02/12/13 05:52 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1785198 - 02/12/13 05:53 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down Purple Pride
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Purple Pride
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

Did a little research. It is known as the "Prophecy of the Popes" and came from Saint Malachy in the 12th Century. Supposedly the successor to Benedict will be the last Pope and will be known as Petrus Romanus or "Peter the Roman." This could result in much intrigue depending on who is chosen to be the next Pope. I believe the prophecy even indicated that the Pope before Petrus Romanus would step down from the Papacy.

This and Nostradamus' prediction for the leader supposedly recently born give me shivers.

Return to Top
#1785203 - 02/12/13 06:00 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down Purple Pride
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
He said there would only be 112 more Popes.

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/St-Mal...-190715001.html

There have been 98 since he St. Malachy died and 101 since he made his prediction. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm I think we're OK smile unless the next one picks Peter as a name, in which case, I need to restock my bunker smile

Return to Top
#1785214 - 02/12/13 06:11 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
so, many of his predictions were "spot on", but I wonder how many were "spot off?"

Return to Top
#1785216 - 02/12/13 06:14 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down A_G
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Personal attack.
Last edited by QCL; 02/12/13 06:22 PM.

Return to Top
#1785217 - 02/12/13 06:14 PM Re: Pope Benedict to step down HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
looking back a few of Nostradamus' predictions came true because they were very general. It would have been difficut to see the prediction and then watch as it happened.

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6