Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1785325 - 02/12/13 08:46 PM Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport?
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1785338 - 02/12/13 09:05 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Does it say how long they wrestled with the tought before it was down for the count?

Return to Top
#1785341 - 02/12/13 09:06 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Wrestling is being removed, yet synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics continue on. Stupid.

Return to Top
#1785347 - 02/12/13 09:12 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? DD Regs
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Does it say how long they wrestled with the tought before it was down for the count?

I think it can be pinned down to 3 seconds, but nobody was assigned to takedown notes.

Return to Top
#1785350 - 02/12/13 09:16 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Wrestling has got to be one of the oldest game in the Olympics, why get rid of now?

Return to Top
#1785354 - 02/12/13 09:21 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Wrestling has got to be one of the oldest game in the Olympics, why get rid of now?

"The only sports in which the Americans have won more medals than wrestling is swimming and track and field — and those two have far more medal opportunities."

CAMS

Return to Top
#1785375 - 02/12/13 09:54 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
So it's politics at the IOC?

Ooh, can I say that?

Return to Top
#1785377 - 02/12/13 10:03 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? MB Guy
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: MB Guy

Good point. As an original Olympian Pale should have some pull with the IOC. laugh

Return to Top
#1785398 - 02/12/13 10:34 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? GuitarDude
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Does this mean George The Animal Steele won't be representing the USA anymore?

Return to Top
#1785404 - 02/12/13 10:42 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Cauliflower ear will soon be going the way of myspace.

Return to Top
#1785408 - 02/12/13 10:44 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? raitchjay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
they could have taken a stepped approach and outlawed jumping from the top rope, using foreign objects and even outlaw chewing on the turnbuckles

this seems awfully extreme

Return to Top
#1785415 - 02/12/13 10:53 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
This is unfortunate. I can't say that I knew much about wrestling before I moved to iowa but once I started watching and understood it, I really enjoyed the sport. My boys all wrestled up there. When we moved to texas, I could not find anywhere in the SA area for them to continue with it. I will admit I did not read the article, so I don't know if they are doing away with freestyle or greco-roman or both.

Return to Top
#1785433 - 02/13/13 01:54 AM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Nothing like big men in spandex grappling on the floor to turn off viewers...

Return to Top
#1785492 - 02/13/13 02:32 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Yeah, but men dancing around with shiny plastic on the end of a stick, now that is entertaining!

Return to Top
#1785494 - 02/13/13 02:37 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Hopefully, Sanderson and others who are revered in the sport can lead a charge to get wrestling reinstated.

I was a wrestler from 3rd grade through my sophomore year in college. It was a major part of my life. I was never an Olympic hopeful, but there are tons of kids who have that kind of skill and drive. Taking that away will leave a void.

Also, as a wrestler, I've always thought that the skills and abilities needed for wrestling were about as complete as any sport could boast. Strength, stamina, strategy, balance, vision, etc. It is a true test in a one on one format and its history in the Olympics goes waaaaaaaaay back.

Return to Top
#1785497 - 02/13/13 02:44 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
This is unthinkable and proof that the IOC has become nothing but a puppet dancing on the end of a string controlled by European elitist. Wresting is the original, and quintesential Olympic sport. The Olympics were begun in 776 BC, to bring peace to the region and test the young warriors of the time without having actual war. Wrestling was the most elite of these competions. No contest is more basic than one man against another with nothing but their minds and bodies as their tools of competition. All they have to do now is eliminate track and field and there will be no Olympics left.

Return to Top
#1785522 - 02/13/13 03:15 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
LP, and BB, from another fellow wrestler in school, totally agree and well stated, both of you. Stupid IOC.

Return to Top
#1785529 - 02/13/13 03:22 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? Bankbb1, PITA
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
This is unthinkable and proof that the IOC has become nothing but a puppet dancing on the end of a string controlled by European elitist. Wresting is the original, and quintesential Olympic sport. The Olympics were begun in 776 BC, to bring peace to the region and test the young warriors of the time without having actual war. Wrestling was the most elite of these competions. No contest is more basic than one man against another with nothing but their minds and bodies as their tools of competition. All they have to do now is eliminate track and field and there will be no Olympics left.

So you are stating that replacing wrestling with NASCAR would be wrong? laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1785537 - 02/13/13 03:40 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
I think they are trying to find something where everyone can get a trophy and ice cream no matter how bad they sucke (French Spelling).

Return to Top
#1785539 - 02/13/13 03:44 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? Bankbb1, PITA
Peepers Offline
10K Club
What does Mean Gene Ockerlund feel about all of this?

Return to Top
#1785541 - 02/13/13 03:49 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Pétanque anyone?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1785548 - 02/13/13 04:09 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Pétanque anyone?

French version of horseshoes....
Sacre pooh!

Return to Top
#1785553 - 02/13/13 04:12 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? edAudit
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Dan Gable had some comments on it yesterday, made the news last night. Even admitted that he teared up over it!

(Midewestern types like Pup will know who Dan is, others may have to google him)

Return to Top
#1785554 - 02/13/13 04:17 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? Matt_B
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
He is the guy that lost to Larry Owings in college. smirk

PS not a midewestern but knew about him

CAMS

Return to Top
#1785556 - 02/13/13 04:20 PM Re: Wrestling is no longer an Olympic Sport? Matt_B
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
(Midewestern types like Pup will know who Dan is, others may have to google him)

and herein is why it is being eliminated...few if any care about it, few countries participate that actually have a chance (sort of like the girl in judo last year from Afganhistan who had been taking judo less than a year and carrying a blue belt going up against a 900th degree black belt...oh, but it was a groundbreaking moment)

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2