Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1785505 - 02/13/13 02:58 PM Single vs. Joint Credit Reports
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
Does it matter for joint borrowers if we pull single or joint reports? Shouldn't we make it policy one way or the other so that everyone is treated the same?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1785509 - 02/13/13 03:02 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
I just sat in on a compliance update and the auditor said that this is a hot topic and you should do it one way or the other to avoid issues with fair lending and UDAAP. We had an exam 2 years ago by FDIC and this was an issue with them.

Return to Top
#1785544 - 02/13/13 03:57 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
JobSecurity Offline
Platinum Poster
We changed our credit report pricing to a level pricing so it is $15 for a single and $30 for a joint. This made the examiners happy when they were here in August, FDIC. They did not comment on if they were single or joint. Their focus was the pricing.

Return to Top
#1785567 - 02/13/13 04:35 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Pricing is the issue (like JS mentioned). Because pricing was slightly higher for single reports, joint unmarried applicants were "disadvantaged". It was a Catch 22, because most CRA's cannot pull joints especially if the addresses are different.

Many banks are charging the same for 2 joint unmarried as for married joint reports and making up the difference.

Return to Top
#1785581 - 02/13/13 04:46 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports Rocky P
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
We currently do not charge the customer for the report but thought we should be consistent going forward in the event we begin charging.

Return to Top
#1785939 - 02/14/13 02:54 AM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
We changed our credit report pricing to a level pricing so it is $15 for a single and $30 for a joint.

Under RESPA, you can only do this if you meet the average charge calculation requirements.

Under TIL, if these fees exceed the actual costs, the additional amount would be a finance charge.

Return to Top
#1786235 - 02/14/13 06:39 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Yes, it is the fee disparity that concerns the examiners. If I recall what started the issue was the fact that some lenders were found to be charging a discounted credit report fee to married, joint applicants, but not giving a similar discount for unmarried joint applicants, charging each for the higher cost of an individual report.

Return to Top
#1786351 - 02/14/13 08:33 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports Indy Banker
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Originally Posted By: bike4life
Yes, it is the fee disparity that concerns the examiners. If I recall what started the issue was the fact that some lenders were found to be charging a discounted credit report fee to married, joint applicants, but not giving a similar discount for unmarried joint applicants, charging each for the higher cost of an individual report.

Possibly incorrect - Lenders were charging what credit bureaus were charging them. Since many unmarried joint applicants lived a different addresses, a joint report could not be pulled, so banks had to pull two individual reports. Two individual reports cost more than a joint report (but not much). Despite the fact that the banks were charging only their costs, the regulators were making a case that the unmarried joint borrowers were disadvantaged because they had to pay more. [A common example was a joint report at $18 and individual credit reports at $10 each.]

IMHO, I do not believe that the cites were the intent of the law, however in the current environment, it became the norm.

Return to Top
#1786377 - 02/14/13 08:59 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
KPOC Offline
Gold Star
KPOC
Greater Boston Area
Since CRs are pulled based on property address, and it is the credit bureau that is really charging the fees, it sounds like a legitimate business practice. Also, when you're talking about a couple dollars, materiality should come into play. I don't understand why regulators don't see this. That being said, I wouldn't risk a fair lending referral over this. As I've heard many times before, "it's not about what makes sense, it's about making regulators happy".

Return to Top
#1787602 - 02/20/13 04:42 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports KPOC
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
Since we do not charge the customer we hadn't been putting fees on the GFE & HUD until our examiner told us we had to do so. Now we're not sure what amount to put. There is the base price but depending on the report there are various added on charges. We wouldn't know until after the report is pulled what the exact charge will be. So should we only disclose the base price even though the cost will probably be more? I'm concerned if we just use a ballpark amount then what if we are listing an amount that would be an overcharge if we were to pass that to the customer?

Return to Top
#1787653 - 02/20/13 05:53 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports Rocky P
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Southern Banker
Originally Posted By: bike4life

Possibly incorrect - Lenders were charging what credit bureaus were charging them. Since many unmarried joint applicants lived a different addresses, a joint report could not be pulled, so banks had to pull two individual reports. Two individual reports cost more than a joint report (but not much). Despite the fact that the banks were charging only their costs, the regulators were making a case that the unmarried joint borrowers were disadvantaged because they had to pay more. [A common example was a joint report at $18 and individual credit reports at $10 each.]

IMHO, I do not believe that the cites were the intent of the law, however in the current environment, it became the norm.

That's what I meant, I suppose I responded too quickly and worded it poorly.

Return to Top
#1821605 - 06/07/13 05:01 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
Those of you who are charging the joint credit report fee for pulling 2 individual reports for joint borrowers, how are you disclosing this on the GFE and HUD-1?

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#1821610 - 06/07/13 05:08 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
With actual estimated and actual costs??? I don't understand your question.

Return to Top
#1821625 - 06/07/13 05:24 PM Re: Single vs. Joint Credit Reports HR Banker
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
We don't charge a joint report fee - we pull individual credit reports for everything. We charge what we are charged based on the number of individuals applying for a loan.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z