Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32
Thread Options
#1836674 - 07/26/13 04:13 AM 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Can you believe it???

College Football now is only 35 days away!!! The countdown to kickoff is even closer!

And, that means it's time again for the Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge.

I tell you and I tell you and I know y'all don't want to hear it, but here it is anyway: THREE-PEAT, baby! Just in case you didn't quite "hear" me, I said…

3-peat!

One more time?

Oh, alright, since you asked nicely: THR33-PEAT!!!

'Bama has a chance to do what no other team has done since the Associated Press poll began (in 1936), when the Minnesota Golden Gophers – yeah, that's right, the mighty Golden Gophers – won back-to-back-to-back National Championships (1934, 1935 & 1936).

Okay, okay, I’ll stop talking 3-PEAT; instead, let’s play a game.

Who knows who won the BCS National Championship in 2006?

That'd be Florida. And, who won it in 2007? LSU

How 'bout 2008? The Gators repeated (although, not back-to-back).

What about 2009 Championship? Answer: The University of Alabama.

2010? Never mind.

Next question.

2011? Yet again, it was Alabama. And, last year??? The Crimson Tide, once again.

So, that brings the following word to mind: DYNASTY!!!

Should you have any doubt, it'll all be removed at the end of the season, when the Boys from 'Bama sit atop the final poll and reign supreme one more time.

Alright, enough history (for now).

This season will conclude on Monday, January 6, 2014, with the 2014 VIZIO BCS National Championship game at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

This will bring the BCS to its finale and we'll, at long last, have a college football playoff.

In the interim though, I've established two (2) College Football Pick'em challenges.

NDB I (Group ID# is 301 without the spread) is so easy a little girl could pick'em. As a matter of fact, a female (I would say "lady," if it weren't for the fact that she's an OU fan) won it all last year. (Frankly, "Queen Mum" kicked our tails…leading for the vast majority of the season.)

Anyway, moving on…

NDB II (Group ID#304 with the spread) is for the big dogs.

You got it within you to run with us??? Huh? Well, do ya? If you think you can, sign up at: Yahoo! Fantasy Sports. Use the Group ID numbers listed and the password: pasadena (in all lower case letters).

NOTE: This year, in addition to the AP top 25 games, there may also be other games selected by Yahoo! as “interesting.” Basically, it's still the same format; however, if you need a refresher, shoot me an e-mail (dallastide@att.net OR dallastide@gmail.com).

I'd wish you good luck, but you and your team just better be prepared to lose…both online and on the field.

-Mike

PS – Roll Tide, Repeat (again)!!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1836750 - 07/26/13 02:02 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
3-PEAT!!! I like that!! Roll Tide!!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1837381 - 07/29/13 07:14 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
In response to the original post.

# of undefeated seasons for Bama during their latest run...... 0.

Most mediocre NC team ever.

In all truth they do look poised to make another run this year. Any Nick Saban team is going to have a solid D.

Return to Top
#1837414 - 07/29/13 07:51 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Got to get past Johnny Football first!

Return to Top
#1837421 - 07/29/13 08:01 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Sound Tactic
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Red Herring

So, what you're saying is, in their latest run of two championships, they don't have one undefeated season.

Yes, that is true, but in the latest run of three (in the last four seasons), they do. (2009)

Yeah, that's why they're the ONLY team to repeat back-to-back in the BCS era; the first team to win three of four championships since Nebraska; and, the first team to even have a chance to three-peat in the modern day.

Just curious: How many National Championships has your team won in the last two years? Four? Ten? 25? And of those, if any, how many were undefeated?
whistle

Return to Top
#1837426 - 07/29/13 08:12 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Thanks for the props, Mike! I will see if I can "re"peat my victory again! And....if we are talking history.....which team holds the record for longest streak of wins? Give you one guess......BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!

Return to Top
#1837445 - 07/29/13 08:59 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Payton Mannings legs unbroken.
http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/...on-torn-acl.htm

I think people get nored to easily...

Return to Top
#1837496 - 07/30/13 03:15 AM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Pale Rider
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

Looking forward to it!

Return to Top
#1837529 - 07/30/13 12:58 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Yo, Pale, can we all crash at your house for that game? Tickets will get all our money!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1837534 - 07/30/13 01:06 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Johnny Socialite needs to prioritize football a little more than he currently does.

As much as Saban has focused on the aTm game, I think someone else could step up and beat them this year. Too much focus on one game IMHO. But then again, looking at their schedule, it is tough to find a loss, if they are able to get past aTm. LSU is the only team with a chance.

Return to Top
#1837571 - 07/30/13 01:55 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: Dallas Tide
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

Looking forward to it!

Johnny Football has to wake up in time for the game first. 50/50 proposition. smile

Return to Top
#1837572 - 07/30/13 01:53 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge waldensouth
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Yo, Pale, can we all crash at your house for that game? Tickets will get all our money!

Mi casa su casa to any BOLer, if y'all can get a ticket to the big game. I have some friends that are renting out their homes for thousands of dollars that weekend.

Return to Top
#1837573 - 07/30/13 01:56 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Katy Auditor
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: Jays
Johnny Socialite needs to prioritize football a little more than he currently does.

As much as Saban has focused on the aTm game, I think someone else could step up and beat them this year. Too much focus on one game IMHO. But then again, looking at their schedule, it is tough to find a loss, if they are able to get past aTm. LSU is the only team with a chance.

I wouldn't sleep on Ole Miss either.

Return to Top
#1837664 - 07/30/13 03:55 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Dallas Tide

So, what you're saying is, in their latest run of two championships, they don't have one undefeated season.

Yes, that is true, but in the latest run of three (in the last four seasons), they do. (2009)

Yeah, that's why they're the ONLY team to repeat back-to-back in the BCS era; the first team to win three of four championships since Nebraska; and, the first team to even have a chance to three-peat in the modern day.

Just curious: How many National Championships has your team won in the last two years? Four? Ten? 25? And of those, if any, how many were undefeated?
whistle

In the last 25 years my team has played for the NC 7 times and won it 3. Every single one of those seasons was undefeated. But, btw I was giving you a hard time.
Last edited by Red Herring; 07/30/13 03:55 PM.

Return to Top
#1837671 - 07/30/13 04:06 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Go Pokes!

just throwin that in....again. smile

Return to Top
#1837858 - 07/30/13 09:01 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Sound Tactic
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
In the last 25 years my team has played for the NC 7 times and won it 3. Every single one of those seasons was undefeated. But, btw I was giving you a hard time.

Fair enough. So, when's the last time they won it all? (not being sarcastic, just curious) To get there seven times is pretty impressive.

BTW, Alabama has played for all the marbles four times in the last 25 years (1992, 2009, 2011, 2012), won it all four times, and twice was undefeated (1992, 2009).

And, since I dish it out, I'm willing to take it. A little jab here and there...it's all in fun.

Source: NCAA.com

Return to Top
#1837894 - 07/30/13 10:58 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
1997. We played for it in 2001 but (like so many BCS controversies) did not belong in the NC game.

Our teams greatest coach was undefeated against Saban and 2-1 against Bear Bryant. Actually I think you are forgetting that you played in a NC game back in 1971 (or 1970). But I guess if you limit it to 25 years that goes beyond that date. I believe you also played for it against Penn State too in the 80s.

Return to Top
#1837920 - 07/31/13 11:55 AM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
all signed up, and sure to be at the bottom of the pack yet again. LOL

Return to Top
#1838047 - 07/31/13 03:35 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Bankbb1, PITA
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
Go Pokes!

just throwin that in....again. smile

......and again.
Last edited by Okie Banker; 07/31/13 03:35 PM. Reason: my speller is broek

Return to Top
#1838293 - 07/31/13 09:02 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Sound Tactic
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Our teams greatest coach was undefeated against Saban and 2-1 against Bear Bryant.

Not sure where you're obtaining your data, but according to www.collegefootball.bz, 'Bama and Nebraska have only met five times (with 'Bama leading the series 3-2). According to sports-reference.com, of those five times, only two fell within the overlapping coaching spans of Tom Osborne (1973-1997) & Bear Bryrant (at Alabama 1958-1982). Each coach won one game a piece. Osborne in 1977 (Nebraska 1977 schedule) and Bear in 1978 Alabama 1978 schedule).

Actually I think you are forgetting that you played in a NC game back in 1971 (or 1970). But I guess if you limit it to 25 years that goes beyond that date. I believe you also played for it against Penn State too in the 80s.

I only went back 25 years (to 1987), but Alabama did win back-to-back NC's (beating Penn St & Arkansas, respectively) in '78 (11-1) & '79 (12-0). We also won the '73 UPI NC. We were undefeated during the regular season and the championship was awarded prior to us losing to ND by ONE STINKIN' POINT...and, no, I'm not bitter about that at all.

Return to Top
#1838332 - 08/01/13 12:57 AM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Dallas, that is because you are forgetting the game where Alabama played Nebraska and Osborne was the offensive coordinator. It was Devay's last game as head coach, and his new OC was being given the team. I did not mean they both played each other as head coaches I meant just played. In that game Nebraska wholloped Alabama.

You have to look at what I actually typed and not look at it as Alabama. I said Osborne beat Bryant and Saban. Nebraska played Saban twice while he was at Michigan State.

Return to Top
#1838377 - 08/01/13 01:03 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Sound Tactic
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Dallas, that is because you are forgetting the game where Alabama played Nebraska and Osborne was the offensive coordinator. It was Devay's last game as head coach, and his new OC was being given the team. I did not mean they both played each other as head coaches I meant just played. In that game Nebraska wholloped Alabama.

Okay. I understand what you're saying about Osborne winning as the OC (I was not aware of that part of Nebraska's history), but it appears Devaney's last game was against ND in the '72 season (Nebraska '72 schedule), unless Osborne took over for Devaney during the season. I'm thinking you mean the last game of the '71 season (Nebraska '71 season), where Nebraska did indeed put a beat-down on 'Bama in the Orange Bowl (38-6) and went on to win the NC.

Either way, there are very few coaches I regard in the same high-standing as I do Bear Bryant...among them would be Joe Paterno (prior to the Sandusky scandal), Bobby Bowden and Tom Osborne. And, if I were to answer absolutely honestly, as far as class, I would have rate Osborne #1.

Return to Top
#1838442 - 08/01/13 02:35 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
No Osborne was the coach in 72. Devany retired after winning the 71 NC.

Joe Paterno was good but not great. Bobby Bowden was good but not great. I think Bryan was far better than these guys.

Return to Top
#1838448 - 08/01/13 02:46 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Especially when he coached a small school in Texas!

Return to Top
#1838450 - 08/01/13 02:51 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Pale Rider
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Well, I have to admit, I've always had a slight affinity to pull for TAMU because of Bear's tenure there. And, I've always been impressed that, at the time of his death, the one "trophy" item he was wearing was his "Junction Boys" ring.

Roll Tide & Gig'em (except for Sept. 14th, this year)!
Last edited by Dallas Tide; 08/01/13 02:51 PM. Reason: oops

Return to Top
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32