Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1864143 - 10/23/13 03:16 PM Incentive for Electronic Statements
AngelMae CRCM Offline
Indiana
Is anyone else considering offering an incentive for consumers to agree to electronic statements? We are looking for ways to off set the considerable increase in cost and electronic statements seem to be the best option.

Return to Top
Mortgage Servicing Rules
#1864154 - 10/23/13 03:26 PM Re: Incentive for Electronic Statements AngelMae CRCM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What type of incentive?

Return to Top
#1864178 - 10/23/13 03:52 PM Re: Incentive for Electronic Statements AngelMae CRCM
AngelMae CRCM Offline
Indiana
Initial ideas all involve a gift card if you receive your statements electronically. I am just thrilled they thought to ask compliance.

Return to Top
#1864187 - 10/23/13 04:04 PM Re: Incentive for Electronic Statements AngelMae CRCM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What do they plan to do when the customer later says - no, I want paper? The statements, of course, will also have to be delivered within a E-Sign compliant manner.

Return to Top
#1864345 - 10/23/13 07:52 PM Re: Incentive for Electronic Statements AngelMae CRCM
AngelMae CRCM Offline
Indiana
Good point. I am sure there would be some of those as well as some who try to double dip by going on E-statements then back to paper then back to E-statements...etc.

Return to Top
#1864576 - 10/24/13 03:28 PM Re: Incentive for Electronic Statements AngelMae CRCM
StevenD Offline
Gold Star
StevenD
KY
From the commentary for section 41(c)

3. Electronic distribution. The periodic statement may be provided electronically if the consumer agrees. The consumer must give affirmative consent to receive statements electronically. If statements are provided electronically, the creditor, assignee, or servicer may send a notification that a consumer's statement is available, with a link to where the statement can be accessed, in place of the statement itself.

4. Presumed consent. Any consumer who is currently receiving disclosures for any account (for example, a mortgage or checking account) electronically from their servicer shall be deemed to have consented to receiving e-statements in place of paper statements.

Return to Top
#1864580 - 10/24/13 03:32 PM Re: Incentive for Electronic Statements AngelMae CRCM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Good catch. I didn't realize that carved out a E-Sign exemption for these.

Return to Top