Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New Reply Thread Options
#1902986 - 03/06/14 08:05 PM Concealed Carry in FIs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in a state where concealed firearm carry is brand new. What words of advice can anyone offer on prohibiting versus allowing CC in the bank? Thank you.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1902989 - 03/06/14 08:08 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I know some banks that post a very conspicuous sign stating that CC is not permitted in any branch location or on bank property.

#1902990 - 03/06/14 08:09 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
If you are in Illinois the IBA put out some excellent information on the Concealed Carry Law. Here is a link: http://www.ilbanker.com/News/NewsDetail.aspx?id=336

Innerpartysystem

#1902991 - 03/06/14 08:09 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I know I read quite a few discussions on this in the last couple of years from other states that have gone through this change recently.

We took the stance that nobody looking to rob the place is going to listen to the sign, and in all likelihood we would just end up fielding complaints from gun owners about us restricting their rights, so there was no real point in doing anything about it for the customer base. For staff, we did specify that we don't allow them to carry into the buildings.

#1902992 - 03/06/14 08:10 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Did the law allow certain gun-free zones? Like banks, schools - those sort of places.

We have a few banks in Texas where conspicuously wearing your protection is encouraged.

#1902993 - 03/06/14 08:13 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
What always strikes me when I see this question is...how are you going to know? grin

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1902994 - 03/06/14 08:14 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
The Illinois law does not prohibit licensed individuals from carrying firearms on bank premises (other types of buildings and open areas DO have a prohibition against CCs)... but banks are private businesses and can post signs prohibiting CC on their premises.

Innerpartysystem

#1902997 - 03/06/14 08:17 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Matt_B
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By: Matt_B

We took the stance that nobody looking to rob the place is going to listen to the sign, and in all likelihood we would just end up fielding complaints from gun owners about us restricting their rights, so there was no real point in doing anything about it for the customer base. For staff, we did specify that we don't allow them to carry into the buildings.

Agree!! Besides, if the weapon is concealed how are you to know if they have one or not.
I have heard that in some states if you require them to not bring a weapon into the branch you have to provide a secure storage place for them.

#1903000 - 03/06/14 08:21 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Pretty simple really. As others have said, the bad guys aren't going to listen.

You have the right as a private employer to restrict weapons on your property. You can post a no weapons sign and ask those who openly carry to leave. If the person is truly carrying concealed, you will never know about it (hence the term). Add that your employees may not bring concealed weapons into the building.

CRCM

#1903001 - 03/06/14 08:23 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
When I asked a county sheriff about concealed guns in banks, he said as soon as someone sees it, it is no longer concealed.
Happened once in a branch, I asked the customer to leave and come back without it. And he did.

#1903011 - 03/06/14 08:39 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
My worst fear is someone trying to rob the bank and a CC weapon being pulled by a customer or bystander to try and "remedy" the situation. The risks are just way too high for someone to get hurt, and I don't want a shootout in my lobby with my employees and my customers in the crossfire.

Get the robber his or her money and get them OUT. Money is insured. People's lives are irreplacable.

Innerpartysystem

#1903016 - 03/06/14 08:41 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
::checks to make sure my dagger is completely concealed:: eek

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1903024 - 03/06/14 08:49 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs manimal
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Most people with CC permits would not even think of pulling out a gun during a robbery. Their personal liability would be too great. It is to protect themselves - protecting others belongs to the cops.

#1903025 - 03/06/14 08:49 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs manimal
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: manimal
My worst fear is someone trying to rob the bank and a CC weapon being pulled by a customer or bystander to try and "remedy" the situation. The risks are just way too high for someone to get hurt, and I don't want a shootout in my lobby with my employees and my customers in the crossfire.

Get the robber his or her money and get them OUT. Money is insured. People's lives are irreplacable.

That would be my concern as well. The majority of people I know who own a firearm think they are John Wayne.

#1903027 - 03/06/14 08:50 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Rocky P
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: Rocky P
Most people with CC permits would not even think of pulling out a gun during a robbery. Their personal liability would be too great. It is to protect themselves - protecting others belongs to the cops.

To protect themselves from... things like a robbery? Sorry I really don't see the difference. Just my opinion though.

Innerpartysystem

#1903030 - 03/06/14 08:57 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I totally get what Rocky P is saying.

#1903040 - 03/06/14 09:13 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I can see what manimal is saying. I'd say it's 50/50. Some carriers wouldn't pull out their weapon, but others certainly would.

In the end, you still wouldn't know and can't control whether or not they bring a concealed weapon into your bank.

Duck and cover.

If it becomes a real big deal, hire an armed guard or buy an old squad car to deter robbers from entering the building in the first place. Magnetic door locks are good too.

CRCM

#1903047 - 03/06/14 09:19 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs manimal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: manimal

That was my though process when I worked in a branch with a lot of retired cops "from the day". I actually had one when asked for Id pulled his gun. He was tossed as a customer after a discussion with the local PD.

CAMS

#1903057 - 03/06/14 09:41 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I'm sure the overwhelming majority of CC owners would never pull their weapon in a public place or a bank... but it only takes one. Which is why we are posting the sign.

Anyways, we kind of got off on a tangent, sorry about that. To the OP, did we answer your original question?

Innerpartysystem

#1903088 - 03/06/14 10:28 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
If we see it, we will ask them to leave and come back in without it. If they refuse to leave, we call the cops on them for trespassing, but they can't do anything about them having the gun.

#1903091 - 03/06/14 10:29 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Isn't there one of these threads in the security forum that has about a million posts to it. Do we really have to flog this dead horse with anonymous posters????

#1903093 - 03/06/14 10:31 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Of course we do Randy............. smirk

#1903098 - 03/06/14 10:35 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs rlcarey
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Isn't there one of these threads in the security forum that has about a million posts to it. Do we really have to flog this dead horse with anonymous posters????

Translation: Register.

CRCM

#1903128 - 03/06/14 11:23 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Besides what else would you do all day? wink

#1903606 - 03/07/14 11:28 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs RR Joker
Anonymous
Unregistered

I visited a security company's booth at a security show once. They had an active system that watch people as they came in your front doors. If a gun was detected, whether on your body or purse, it locked the second set of doors. I twould then ask you to leave the premises and come back without the weapon. It worked like a man trap system but scanned for guns. I thought it was neat until they quoted a price.

OP. The way it is here we would not know if anyone is carrying. Also I carry daily in case there is a need for armed courier services. I have never had anyone complain all the way up to the directors, except for the bank's attorney. She did not like the fact that I carry. In 20+ years of carying the only day I left mine at home was the day they tried to rob our bank. I have never forgotten it since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale