Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1902582 - 03/05/14 08:39 PM Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit
Bama Blondie Offline
100 Club
Has anyone received a request for your HMDA data from FITECHS? I am not familiar with them. Thanks!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1902587 - 03/05/14 08:43 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
There is no "non legit" request.

(c) Public disclosure of modified loan/application register. A financial institution shall make its loan/application register available to the public after removing the following information regarding each entry: The application or loan number, the date that the application was received, and the date action was taken. An institution shall make its modified register available following the calendar year for which the data are compiled, by March 31 for a request received on or before March 1, and within thirty calendar days for a request received after March 1. The modified register need only contain data relating to the MSA or Metropolitan Division for which the request is made.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1902592 - 03/05/14 08:47 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Bama Blondie Offline
100 Club
They are asking for 2013 data that was just submitted. They want the file emailed to them. This is not a normal request like we have received from the CRA public file, so that is why I am asking if anyone else received. Thanks for your assistance.

Return to Top
#1902598 - 03/05/14 08:53 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You have to provide within 30 calendar days but mail, email, hard copy etc is up to you.

Return to Top
#1902599 - 03/05/14 08:54 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Bama Blondie Offline
100 Club
Thanks!

Return to Top
#1902712 - 03/06/14 12:47 AM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You're not the only one who got this letter, Bama Blondie.

My gut reaction is who is Fitechs? I can find nothing online. Did you call the number and ask for info? I'm out of pocket till Monday when I'll be doing that as step one. Then I'll be taking my letter to the top for direction on how to respond.

Read this for more information.

Return to Top
#1903223 - 03/07/14 03:04 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Bama Blondie Offline
100 Club
Hi TR. I called and it is just voicemail that states leave a message - no company name, or person. Reverse look up shows a mobile phone in Utah. the P.O. Box on the request is in Lima Pennsylvania. That was my main concern that they gave an email at fitechs.com, but nothing comes up on google and there is no website. Definitely will not provide electronically. Thanks for your assistance!

Return to Top
#1903260 - 03/07/14 03:53 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thanks for the info, Blondie. I'll be taking this to management on Monday.

Return to Top
#1903267 - 03/07/14 04:01 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Kathleen O. Blanchard
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
You have to provide within 30 calendar days but mail, email, hard copy etc is up to you.

Could you clarify this Kathleen? Does the clock start as of the date of receipt or the date of the letter?

I took this to our Audit Committee yesterday. We will not be providing it electronically. Our standard procedure is to direct those inquiring to one of our offices to view the report. We will offer to mail the printed report for this request. We are also forwarding the request to our primary regulator.

Return to Top
#1903273 - 03/07/14 04:05 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The regulations mentions 30 days from date received. See post above with the cite from HMDA.

Return to Top
#1904516 - 03/12/14 03:45 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Definitely providing a hard copy. I remember getting a similar request a couple of years ago, I wonder if this is the same "company".

Return to Top
#1906570 - 03/19/14 01:18 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
CM-Compliance Offline
Missouri
I was wondering the same thing about the request letter from FITECHS. I sent them a hard copy yesterday and today have a letter from Bank of America requesting an electronic copy. Do you always send hard copies to these requests?

Return to Top
#1906605 - 03/19/14 02:13 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
The part of the request you have to comply with is providing the information. HOW you provide it is your choice. Decided here that the locked down electronic version discussed in the thread I linked above is cheaper and faster than a paper copy. That's how we'll respond to these requests.

Return to Top
#1906774 - 03/19/14 05:50 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If someone is looking for bullets to shoot you with, I would be handing them the slug, gunpowder, casing and primer separately and let them put it together.

Return to Top
#1906954 - 03/20/14 10:50 AM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Hmmm, electronic copy - easy to order, get and analyze. Paper copy, more costly for them, longer to get the information, and they have to scan and convert the data before they use it.

At banks I've been at: determine your costs for copying, packaging and postage and request reimbursement before mailing out the HMDA data. It may cut down on the requests once you tell them how the bank provides it.

Return to Top
#1906968 - 03/20/14 12:59 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
But remember, it will be public in the fall anyway. In an easy to use format.

Return to Top
#1909510 - 03/27/14 10:27 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
I wonder the motivation for asking for this now. I've been around for 20+ years and this is the first time, another bank has asked for it.

Return to Top
#1909513 - 03/27/14 10:36 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
There are all sorts of reasons:

>industry analysis for publication, not necessarily by consumer groups
>consumer groups monitoring the directions of the market, potential discrimination, etc.
>large banks or other lenders looking to see who might be a new source of loans to purchase

Return to Top
#1914132 - 04/14/14 02:51 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
KTW327 Offline
100 Club
KTW327
In the trees
I have read a few threads on this. A few years ago there was another company that was sending around similar requests to all the FIs. It was suggested that the institutions require a "reasonable" fee before providing the reports.

My question is- what if the fee is never paid? If they don't send us the money up front, does this remove our obligation to send them the report?

Return to Top
#1914147 - 04/14/14 03:18 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
If you send the company a letter that reads 'we will forward the report to you upon receipt of your check for $___' and they never respond then I think it's safe to say you can consider the request withdrawn.

Return to Top
#1925236 - 05/21/14 05:24 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
UPDATE:
I just received a copy of Mortgage TrueView's 2013 HMDA Survey and Case Study, Volume 1: Survey Summary. It appears Mortgage TrueView apparently used our responses as a marketing tool to source data.

Anyone else gotten their 'free' Volume 1?
Comments???

Return to Top
#1925244 - 05/21/14 05:31 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Additional point from the report:
Mortgage TrueView's "...research identified "chat room" content as far back as 2007 in which HMDA preparers expressed concern that their data was being requested for purposes they deemed unacceptable." It then goes on to explain FITECHS role in this survey. This whole thing is making for very interesting reading...as I'm sure my posts are making more fodder for Mortgage TrueView's next report.

Return to Top
#1926174 - 05/23/14 03:18 PM Re: Request for HMDA data fromFITECHS - is this legit Bama Blondie
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I read that TR, and thought to myself "were they trolling BOL for purposes of their study?"

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM