Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#191642 - 05/18/04 09:50 PM PMI cancellation - 80%
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Borrower requested cancellation at 80%. Can investor require the PMI to be carried for a certain minimum period of time, such as two years from loan date? Or are they required to cancel immediately, once borrower requests at 80% or w/o request once loan paid down to 78%, even if this is shortly after loan origination (less than a year)?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#191643 - 05/18/04 09:57 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This will depend on your invenstor. I think, I haven't looked at it in a while, that Freddie requires certain requirments within the first 2 years and less restrict requirement in years 3 - 5.

You are under no regualtory obligation to cancel PMI at 80%. That is your decision.

Also, if the loan balance is prepaid to 78% before the "scheduled amortiaztion" would reach 78%, you are under no regulatory obligation to cancel PMI.

(18) Termination date

The term "termination date" means --

(A) with respect to a fixed-rate mortgage, the date on which the principal balance of the mortgage, based solely on the initial amortization schedule for that mortgage, and irrespective of the outstanding balance for that mortgage on that date, is first scheduled to reach 78 percent of the original value of the property securing the loan; and

Return to Top
#191644 - 05/18/04 10:14 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Isn't there a difference in "termination" and "cancellation" (which is requested by the borrower) under the act?

Return to Top
#191645 - 05/18/04 10:18 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Yes. "Cancellation" may be requested by the borrower when the loan balance reaches 80% of the original property value. "Termination" is automatic when the loan balance reaches 78% of the original property value, EXCEPT for "high-risk" loans and loans that are delinquent.

Return to Top
#191646 - 05/18/04 10:26 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Ok, the loan has not been delinquent (and was not high risk), but it is less than a year old. It is at 80%. Is the investor required to cancel on the customer's request?

Return to Top
#191647 - 05/18/04 10:54 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
If the mortgagor has requested the cancellation in writing in advance of the cancellation date [Section 39a)(1) of the law], and if the loan balance has reached 80% of the original value based on the amortization schedule [Section 2(A)(i)and (B)(i)], or has reached 80% of the original value based on actual payments [Section 2(A)(ii) and (B)(ii)], and if there has been no 60-day late payment during the first 12 of the past 24 months or no 30-day late payment during the last 12 months [Section 2(4)(A)-(B) and Section 3(a)(2)], and if the mortgagor provides evidence that the value of the property is not less than the original property value [Section 2(10) and 3(a)(3)(A)], and if the mortgagor certifies that the subject property is unencumbered by any subordinate lien [Section 3(a)(3)(B)], then, yes, the mortgage insurance must be cancelled.

Return to Top
#191648 - 05/19/04 01:36 AM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Steve, I'm not sure if you and I agree or not, but unless the LTV has reached 80% or 78% based on the original amortization schedule there is no regulatory requirement to cancel PMI. You have to look at the definition of cancellation date and termination date.

Return to Top
#191649 - 05/19/04 01:01 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Dan, I think I agree with Steve. You are correct with regard to "termination". I think Steve is correct with regard to "cancellation". From Kirchman's suggested disclosure:

Quote:

Attached is an amortization schedule for your loan. You may request cancellation of the private mortgage insurance on your loan on _________, which is the date your loan balance is first scheduled to be 80% of the present value of your property (the “scheduled amount”). If you make payments on the principal of your loan in addition to the scheduled payments and your loan balance reaches the scheduled amount before the scheduled date, you may request cancellation of the private mortgage insurance on that earlier date. Private mortgage insurance will be canceled if at the time of your request you have a good payment history, the value of your property has not declined from its present value, and there are no mortgages on the property junior to this mortgage.

Return to Top
#191650 - 05/19/04 01:14 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Steve, I'm not sure if you and I agree or not, but unless the LTV has reached 80% or 78% based on the original amortization schedule there is no regulatory requirement to cancel PMI. You have to look at the definition of cancellation date and termination date.

Dan, that's what I initially thought, too. But after rereading the regulation, and the 2000 amendments thereto, I had to change my thinking. Here's what did it:

SEC.4901(2)(2): CANCELLATION DATE--The term "cancellation date" means (A)with respect to a fixed rate mortgage, at the option of the mortgagor, the date on which the principal balance of the mortgage--
(i) based solely on the initial amortization schedule for that mortgage, and irrespective of the outstanding balance for that mortgage on that date, is first scheduled to reach 80 percent of the original value of the property securing the loan; or
(ii) based solely on actual payments, [emphasis mine] reaches 80 percent of the original value of the property securing the loan.

The next paragraph states the same conditions for cancellation date of an adjustable rate mortgage.

Return to Top
#191651 - 05/19/04 01:50 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Sorry, but I still have to disagree:

SEC.4901(2)(2): CANCELLATION DATE--The term "cancellation date" means (A)with respect to a fixed rate mortgage, at the option of the mortgagor , the date on which the principal balance of the mortgage--
(i) based solely on the initial amortization schedule for that mortgage, and irrespective of the outstanding balance for that mortgage on that date , is first scheduled to reach 80 percent of the original value of the property securing the loan; or
(ii) based solely on actual payments, [emphasis mine] reaches 80 percent of the original value of the property securing the loan.

It is still my opinion that you are under no regulatory obligation to release the PMI until the appropriate LTVs are reached based on the original amortization schedule in relation to the original value of the property.

Return to Top
#191652 - 05/19/04 02:14 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

at the option of the mortgagor

But isn't the borrower the mortgagor, and so isn't it at the borrower's option?

Return to Top
#191653 - 05/19/04 02:28 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I'm not following you on this but isn't the specific reference to "actual payments" referring to the possibility that additional principal reductions may have been made (i.e. additional payments or payments greater than scheduled)? If that is the case, and the borrower has accelerated the principal reduction so that the balance is down to 80%, then cancellation, if requested, must be granted.

Return to Top
#191654 - 05/19/04 02:39 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Jill, the mortgagor would be the bank, the borrower would be the mortgagee.

Anon,

Quote:

If that is the case, and the borrower has accelerated the principal reduction so that the balance is down to 80%, then cancellation, if requested, must be granted.

I disagree. If the balance is accelerated then it is the bank's option whether to cancel PMI based on the acceleration or wait until the "cancellation date" based on the original amortization schedule.

As a side note: I see no reason why a bank would not agree to cancel the PMI in an accelerated payment scenario if the borrower met all conditions (except maybe for investor requirements). The point I'm trying to make is the bank is under no regulatory obligation (IMO) to do so until the cancellation date based on the amortization schedule.

Return to Top
#191655 - 05/19/04 02:46 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Jill, the mortgagor would be the bank, the borrower would be the mortgagee.

I don't think that's right.

mortgagee
n : the person who accepts a mortgage; "the bank became our mortgagee when it accepted our mortage on our new home"

mortgagor
n : the person who gives a mortgage in return for money to be repaid; "we became mortgagors when the bank accepted our mortgage and loaned us the money to buy our new home"

Source of both definitions: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Return to Top
#191656 - 05/19/04 02:54 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Forget my above post, here are the definitions from the act itself:

(10) Mortgagee
The term "mortgagee" means the holder of a residential mortgage at the time at which that mortgage transaction is consummated.

(11) Mortgagor
The term "mortgagor" means the original borrower under a residential mortgage or his or her successors or assignees.

Return to Top
#191657 - 05/19/04 02:55 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mortgagor has to be the borrower otherwise the regulation itself doesn't make sense. Here is Section 4902 from HOEPA.

(a) Borrower cancellation

A requirement for private mortgage insurance in connection with a residential mortgage transaction shall be canceled on the cancellation date or any later date that the mortgagor fulfills all of the requirements under paragraphs (1) through (4), if the mortgagor --

(1) submits a request in writing to the servicer that cancellation be initiated;

(2) has a good payment history with respect to the residential mortgage; and

(3) is current on the payments required by the terms of the residential mortgage transaction; and

(4) has satisfied any requirement of the holder of the mortgage (as of the date of a request under paragraph (1)) for --

(A) evidence (of a type established in advance and made known to the mortgagor by the servicer promptly upon receipt of a request under paragraph (1)) that the value of the property securing the mortgage has not declined below the original value of the property; and

(B) certification that the equity of the mortgagor in the residence securing the mortgage is unencumbered by a subordinate lien.

Now, if the mortgagor is the lender, how does this section make sense?

Return to Top
#191658 - 05/19/04 03:03 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Then based on my misunderstanding of mortgagor, I have to stand corrected. (I should have read a little further in the definitions. ) I apologize for the confusion.

Return to Top
#191659 - 08/13/04 04:02 PM Re: PMI cancellation - 80%
CRL Offline
Platinum Poster
CRL
Ok, I have to vent. A loan officer asked me if their borrower could cancel MI after a couple months if they paydown their principal balance to below 80% after receiving the proceeds from the home they're trying to sell (they are able to qualify for the new house, depsite not having sold their original home yet.) I found this thread, and told my loan officer yes, if borrowers paydown the prinicpal balance to 80% and meet the requirements, they can have MI cancelled.

But our two LARGE correspondents (to whom we sell most of our loans), are interpreting the "good payment history" differently. They both say they will "consider" requests for cancelling MI, but if they don't have a one or two year payment history, they may not approve it.

Doesn't this seem to conflict with the Act? Do you think I should try to continue this argument with both "Goliath" servicers?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z