Learn More - Click Here!

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Thread Options
#1961932 - 09/15/14 02:38 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Glad I didn't defend him when the story first broke on Friday. I believe in a parent's right to discipline their children as they see fit to include spankings or swats. I for one have spanked my children a few times most recently Friday night when my 8-yr old stuck my 6-yr old's toothbrush in the toilet. However the pictures I've seen were far beyond discipline. That is abuse. There is never an excuse for a child to receive a whipping like that. If the team/league is going to fire Rice, then I think the same punishment should come down on Peterson.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1961945 - 09/15/14 02:55 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I heard that Drew Brees uttered the word "dagnabit" during the loss yesterday...i fully expect that the NFL will come down on him for trademark infringement against Merrie Melodies cartoons, as well as such reprehensible language.

Return to Top
#1961950 - 09/15/14 03:03 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft CompliantOkie
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie
Glad I didn't defend him when the story first broke on Friday. I believe in a parent's right to discipline their children as they see fit to include spankings or swats. I for one have spanked my children a few times most recently Friday night when my 8-yr old stuck my 6-yr old's toothbrush in the toilet. However the pictures I've seen were far beyond discipline. That is abuse. There is never an excuse for a child to receive a whipping like that. If the team/league is going to fire Rice, then I think the same punishment should come down on Peterson.

Do we know what the kid did to get the spanking? not claiming wright or wrong.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1961956 - 09/15/14 03:13 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
the story so far is that the kid pushed another kid off one of those motorcycle video games.

Return to Top
#1961969 - 09/15/14 03:39 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Well, that justifies getting whipped. Kid should know better.

crazy

Return to Top
#1961973 - 09/15/14 03:55 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft TB 12
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Sox in '13
Well, that justifies getting whipped. Kid should know better.
crazy

well, if he learned his lesson, he does now

Return to Top
#1961980 - 09/15/14 04:09 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
While that conduct deserves a spanking (IMO only) it does not justify the whipping this kid got. To draw blood with multiple lashings is just not acceptable especially across the thighs and groin.

Return to Top
#1961996 - 09/15/14 05:18 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
and the owners of the Vikings just announced that Mr. Peterson has been cleared by the team to return to full activities and expect him to suit up and play Sunday. The moral of the story - you can beat anyone and as long as they are not knocked unconscious you just miss 1 or 2 games.

Return to Top
#1962000 - 09/15/14 05:29 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
and the owners of the Vikings just announced that Mr. Peterson has been cleared by the team to return to full activities and expect him to suit up and play Sunday. The moral of the story - you can beat anyone and as long as they are not knocked unconscious you just miss 1 or 2 games the team stunk it up the prior weekend.

Fixed

CAMS

Return to Top
#1962007 - 09/15/14 05:43 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
Zygi Wilf has made it abundantly clear in MN that as long as he is making money nothing else matters. He will make more money if Peterson plays, so the team will let him.

Don't even get me going on this rediculous stadium ....

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1962047 - 09/15/14 07:24 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I too am a proponent of properly delivered and age/offense appropriate corporal punishment. However, from all I've read and seen, this was neither. This was abusive, and as a victim myself of child abuse (I've got a capped incisor from where my father's fist broke my tooth - one of many phsical punishment incidents), I'm glad this has come to light. I hope the team takes the appropriate actions as this moves through the legal system.

Return to Top
#1962125 - 09/16/14 02:51 AM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Rant warning.
A 4 yr old cursing out a sibling while in a car seat provokes corporal punishment in a sane adult?
Where'd he learn the language you're whoppin' him for?!

And how many 4 year old sons that he's whopped does this guy have?

Lastly, football isn't a job like banking or working in retail. These men are held up as idols to young boys. This is not someone that deserves looking up to. Yet our society lets this guy play just so his team can win.

Return to Top
#1962131 - 09/16/14 12:40 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Truffle Royale
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
These men are held up as idols to young boys.

they shouldn't be, and shame on any parent that doesn't impress this on their kids. Charles Barkley does a great discussion on why sports figures, specifically himself, should not be role models.

Role models should be from your community and someone known personally.

Return to Top
#1962132 - 09/16/14 12:53 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Truffle Royale
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Where'd he learn the language you're whoppin' him for?!

Standing in line at the grocery store...from passing teenagers on the street...television...from adults in supervisory roles...other children...video games..........Where doesn't he learn the language?

No matter the circumstances, the "whoppin'" was so far past the line, you can't even see the line anymore. Maybe AP swears like a second language, maybe he doesn't...but the kid and all kids (yes, even 4 year olds) hear language that isn't age appropriate in many many situations.

Return to Top
#1962140 - 09/16/14 01:18 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Sad, but it all comes down to money. Shame on them all.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1962272 - 09/16/14 06:07 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i wonder why the NFL has yet to weigh in on Peterson...awfully quiet from Goodell's office on this...my uneducated guess is they are currently running some polling data to determine which response will generate the least amount of flack among women and mothers when they finally say something

Return to Top
#1962473 - 09/17/14 01:44 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Peterson suspended by team.

Also, looks like Welker and Scandrick will get reinstated and Josh Gordon suspension reduced thanks to a new recreational drug policy.

Return to Top
#1962486 - 09/17/14 02:16 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Stupendous Man
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Peterson is done

Vikings won't be able to trade him (if they were considering it) to rebuild at some point

Return to Top
#1962501 - 09/17/14 02:30 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
and mother of boy has come out condemning press and public for intruding on their private life.
If she didn't file the charges, then I would be forced to agree with her.
Much as I hate domestic violence, it's a very fine line that I don't think government should cross over, whether the guy's a pro football player or the local gas station owner.
But that leads to a whole 'nother discussion on the court system and how hard and costly it is to get restraining orders, etc.

Return to Top
#1962525 - 09/17/14 03:23 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
The child was injured enough for the mother to take him to the doctor. The doctor reported the abuse-the authorities investigated and Peterson was indicted. Of course his status as a football player elevated it to where it is now-that's the way it is for good or bad.

Return to Top
#1962530 - 09/17/14 03:33 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thanks for the explanation, Sox. I hadn't come across the involvement of a dr in any of my research.

So it looks like the system worked and, as you pointed out, his status elevated it to national focus. Points to ponder when forming an opinion on this topic.

The court of public opinion (and Anheuser Busch) have given their verdict and Mr Pederson and family are now paying the price of his actions.

Return to Top
#1962533 - 09/17/14 03:42 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I saw the pictures of the child's injuries, and I know there's a fine line between stern discipline and abuse, but unless the kid suffers from some bruising disease or something similar then this was abuse in my opinion.

And, since he apologized to the mother ahead of her seeing the boy, then apparently he knew that he had possibly done something beyond what he should have done. Also, whacking the boy and hurting his private parts? Gimme a break, that's abuse. I don't care how good you are at sports, you need your azz kicked if you do that to a child.

Return to Top
#1962540 - 09/17/14 04:03 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
and mother of boy has come out condemning press and public for intruding on their private life.
If she didn't file the charges, then I would be forced to agree with her.
Much as I hate domestic violence, it's a very fine line that I don't think government should cross over, whether the guy's a pro football player or the local gas station owner.
But that leads to a whole 'nother discussion on the court system and how hard and costly it is to get restraining orders, etc.

It is now a non-issue for her because the child support will be reduced as his salary has gone down

CAMS

Return to Top
#1962559 - 09/17/14 04:42 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
MB, you and Sox both state parts of this that I haven't come across even though I think I've done a fair amount of reading on the topic. Which leads me to believe that media spin, hype and flat out lying is entwined in this story to no small degree. How do we KNOW the things that are being claimed as fact? We all know that pictures can be altered too. I personally know of two instances where doctors reported parents for what turned out to be true accidents.

I think it's time for me to take my OPINION and sit back and wait for the court system to do their job. Do I think that even then we'll know the TRUTH of this matter? no.

Return to Top
#1962561 - 09/17/14 04:45 PM Re: 2014 NFL Draft Sound Tactic
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
A Google search will provide a bunch of information and reports.

Return to Top
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13