Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#2032834 - 08/11/15 01:21 PM Humans of New York - find something uplifting
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
"Humans of New York" - a simple thing, take pictures of people on the street, started by a man named Brandon. Summary from wiki, HONY is a photoblog and bestselling book featuring street portraits and interviews collected in New York City. Started in November 2010 by photographer Brandon Stanton, over 6,000 portraits have been gathered thus far.

Humans of New York - Official Site http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

I follow his facebook page and typically he posts pictures of New Yorkers along with funny and sometimes sad, but always lovely, stories. A few weeks ago his interviewed a man about this man recently becoming a widower. Sometimes he talks to kids, teens, sometimes the homeless.

But this week Brandon is in Pakistan. The country, the stories and the outpouring of love on the Facebook pages is incredible. Sometimes the stories are sad, sometimes they are uplifting. This morning, Brandon posted about a woman in Karachi who has been left to beg for food and money after her husband's death. And within the HONY facebook community, not only have people started to raise funds, but one poster is going to try and find her and help her out. It's just refreshing. In our cynical world, HONY shows how really really good we as humans can be to one another.

If you've never read the stories on facebook or his website, or his book, I would suggest it. And if you are looking for a daily smile, a reminder of the good that is out there, follow his facebook page.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2032837 - 08/11/15 01:32 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2032843 - 08/11/15 02:01 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2032850 - 08/11/15 02:24 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting edAudit
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL

Wow. That Flicker feed hurts my heart Ed.

Return to Top
#2032851 - 08/11/15 02:24 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
QCL, I've had a few of those pop up on facebook, but never really paid attention. It's a very interesting site.

There was a picture of a guy in a suit, tie pulled loose, and his quote was: "“I’m a banker.”
“What was your greatest moment of banking glory?”
“I discovered a former dictator was laundering money through our bank. So I got him kicked him out.”

They found one of us!

Return to Top
#2032852 - 08/11/15 02:26 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Everyone has a story. Photographs just make the story real.

Return to Top
#2032854 - 08/11/15 02:32 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By QCL

Wow. That Flicker feed hurts my heart Ed.

FWIW If you walk to work early enough you can see some of the handicapped homeless pushing their wheelchairs and the signs claiming that today is their birthday is about a month old. There has even been a charge of women with children panhandling the streets, if the kids look familiar it is because they are rented to the women and belong to another.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2032856 - 08/11/15 02:33 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I've followed the HoNY story for quite some time, since I love the city...have a couple of his books, which go into much greater detail than his facebook pages. He is in Pakistan as a U.N. representative based on his humanitarian work with HoNY.

Return to Top
#2032857 - 08/11/15 02:33 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
Mary Beth Guard Offline
Platinum Poster
Mary Beth Guard
Oklahoma City, OK
If you want a fascinating story, watch the documentary "Finding Vivian Maier" and go look at her photos. She was the most incredible street photographer, capturing life so exquisitely.

http://www.findingvivianmaier.com/

Return to Top
#2032859 - 08/11/15 02:37 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Thanks Mary Beth. I was just reading about the discovery of the negatives (or undeveloped film) just the other day. I did not know there was a documentary. smile

And Happy, thanks for providing the background on the Pakistan trip.

Return to Top
#2032861 - 08/11/15 02:39 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2032864 - 08/11/15 02:43 PM Re: Humans of New York - find something uplifting QCL
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
After viewing the picture from theses talented artist I happened to view the local paper online. What a difference talent make to a photo.

CAMS

Return to Top