Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1936126 - 06/27/14 03:29 PM Reporting a purchased loan
Relax Offline
Platinum Poster
Can someone please direct me on how to report a purchased loan. We have bought a loan back from Freddie Mac. What would the purpose be? The same purpose as whent he loan was made originally?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1936134 - 06/27/14 03:39 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Yes, the purpose is the same. The action code is 6, purchased. For amount, follow the instructions in Appendix A to Reg C:

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/12-1003/12-1003-000.html#appa

Go through Appendix A for proper completion of each field.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1936207 - 06/27/14 04:53 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
Relax Offline
Platinum Poster
What about income? Use what was previously used or NA? And GMI..what was originally on the application..or 4 and 7...? And, type of purchaser? Since we had to buy it back (portfolio loan), would we still use 0?

Return to Top
#1936215 - 06/27/14 04:59 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Follow the rules, paying attention to special instructions for purchased loans. Type of purchaser is 0. You are not selling, you are buying.

Return to Top
#1936517 - 06/27/14 11:27 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Agree with Kaybee. Treat the loan as if you had not originated it and it is strictly a purchase.

Regarding GMI:

(b) Collection of data on ethnicity, race, sex, and income. (1) A financial institution shall collect data about the ethnicity, race, and sex of the applicant or borrower as prescribed in appendix B of this part.
(2) Ethnicity, race, sex, and income data may but need not be collected for loans purchased by the financial institution.

This is also supported in Appendix B:

1. Applicability. Report this information for loans that you originate as well as for applications that do not result in an origination.
a. You need not collect or report this information for loans purchased. If you choose not to report this information, use the Codes for “not applicable.”

We always take the stance, if you don't have to report it... don't report it.

Return to Top
#1936527 - 06/28/14 03:14 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Also, if the loan was repurchased in the same year that it originated, it will not be reported a second time. If that is the case, simply remove the type of purchaser on the original loan.

Return to Top
#1936528 - 06/28/14 03:39 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Thanks, hmdagal. That is a very important point to remember. If the purchase/buyback is in a subsequent year, the purchase rules become applicable, in the same year the loan is simply not reported as purchased.

Return to Top
#1936873 - 07/01/14 01:43 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
Relax Offline
Platinum Poster
"Also, if the loan was repurchased in the same year that it originated, it will not be reported a second time. If that is the case, simply remove the type of purchaser on the original loan."....so CHANGE the purchaser type to "6" - loan purchased?

Return to Top
#1936922 - 07/01/14 03:24 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
The type of purchaser will be '0' - loan not originated or sold in the current year. The action type will be '1' - loan originated.

Return to Top
#2003314 - 03/23/15 04:07 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
Dana Paull Offline
New Poster
I would like to add to this existing topic. I am under FRB exam, and we have been purchasing mortgage loans. I am just finding out that I was to report the loan amount at the time of the purchase and not the note amount.

This makes sense, but I don;t see any instruction to so so within Getting it Right. Can someone direct me to this in the reg or related materials? Thank you!

Return to Top
#2003315 - 03/23/15 04:10 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
Dana Paull Offline
New Poster
Oops - found it already under Appendix A Comment 7 b - darn it! Hope someone else can learn from my error. Thanks

Return to Top
#2052052 - 12/02/15 05:42 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Dana Paull
ComplyGuy Offline
Gold Star
Comment 7b says "b. For a home purchase loan that you purchased, enter the unpaid principal balance of the loan at the time of purchase."

What if you purchased a refinance back? Would you report the original loan amount, or the unpaid principal at the time of purchase?

Return to Top
#2060651 - 01/26/16 09:51 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan hmdagal
Frank Ernest Offline
100 Club
Somewhere on a beach
A loan was closed as a VA loan but the investor does not purchase it due to some problem with the documentation. Since we kept it as a portfolio loan, the VA fee was refunded to the customer after the loan closed. I know that we report it as having no purchaser, but do we continue to report it as a VA loan, which it closed as, or report it as a Conventional loan since we refunded the fee and have it in portfolio?

Return to Top
#2060695 - 01/27/16 05:08 AM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
It is staying in your portfolio and you do not do VA loans, change the loan type to conventional.

Return to Top
#2060697 - 01/27/16 12:19 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Frank Ernest

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If the loan is not guaranteed by the VA, it is not reported as a VA loan. It would have to be conventional.

Return to Top
#2060943 - 01/28/16 03:38 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Kathleen O. Blanchard
Frank Ernest Offline
100 Club
Somewhere on a beach
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if it was reported based on what the customer thought it was or how it ended up.

Return to Top
#2104145 - 10/21/16 07:24 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
As stated above, for a purchased loan, " You need not collect or report this information for loans purchased. If you choose not to report this information, use the Codes for NOT APPLICABLE." If our purchased loan has an applicant but NO co-applicant, would we use the codes for "No co-applicant" rather than "Not Applicable"? Or would we use "Not Applicable" for both?

Return to Top
#2104156 - 10/21/16 07:54 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If you have no co applicant, you report the codes for no co applicant, not the codes for Not Applicable.

For example, for GMI, you would report 5 8 5 and not 4 7 4 if you have no co applicant.

Return to Top
#2104161 - 10/21/16 08:07 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2135628 - 06/23/17 05:59 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Kathleen O. Blanchard
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By Kathleen B
Thanks, hmdagal. That is a very important point to remember. If the purchase/buyback is in a subsequent year, the purchase rules become applicable, in the same year the loan is simply not reported as purchased.
Is this statement still accurate under the new HMDA rules for 2018 and beyond? Is there a citation for this?

Return to Top
#2135697 - 06/23/17 08:26 PM Re: Reporting a purchased loan Relax
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
It looks like it goes away. From the final rule (pg 173):

The Bureau has determined that repurchases of covered loans should be reported as loan
purchases, with only a narrow exception discussed below. The Bureau believes that the one-calendar-
year reporting exception, which was based on guidance originally published by the
FFIEC, will no longer be needed in light of other elements of the final rule.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM