Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#2072294 - 04/04/16 06:18 PM Reg E access device given to soon-to-be ex-spouse
Rancher Offline
Our customer had previously given his online banking login & password (access device) to his spouse, but they are now parting ways. Today he told us that his spouse used online banking to transfer $6,500.00 from his account to her account last week. Both accounts affected are owned individually, and both accounts are with our institution. Our disclosure says that online banking transfers are authorized if conducted by "you or someone you have authorized by giving them your log-in information even if that person exceeds your authority". My understanding is that this language is consistent with Reg. E Staff Interpretations 2(m)2.

-Do you agree that this would not be an unauthorized transaction because the login info had been given to the spouse, and the transaction happened before our customer gave us notification that the spouse was no longer authorized?

-I’m thinking the transfer would not be SAR reportable because our customer had given his login info to the spouse. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2072297 - 04/04/16 06:32 PM Re: Reg E access device given to soon-to-be ex-spouse Rancher
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This has become an issue between them and does not impact the bank.

Return to Top
#2072378 - 04/05/16 10:14 AM Re: Reg E access device given to soon-to-be ex-spouse Rancher
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
He needs to discuss it with the lawyer who is representing him in the divorce, but I don't think he will be able to do anything about it either. From experience, sometimes there just isn't any way to get someone else to pick up the tab for a mistake that you made.

Return to Top
#2072397 - 04/05/16 01:10 PM Re: Reg E access device given to soon-to-be ex-spouse Rancher
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I also don't see this as a SAR issue, he provided her the information to enact the transfer, he admits he did it. The "S" is SAR stands for "suspicious", not "stupid".

Return to Top
#2072621 - 04/06/16 01:41 PM Re: Reg E access device given to soon-to-be ex-spouse Rancher
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The "S" is SAR stands for "suspicious", not "stupid".
That's awesome! smile

Return to Top
#2074219 - 04/14/16 11:50 PM Re: Reg E access device given to soon-to-be ex-spouse Rancher
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
From an operational stand point, I'm curious if they both were single accounts, how the transfer was able o be done.

Our online banking platform only allows transfers between accounts with a common ownership role.

For example, I could transfer money between my joint account and my single account, but I could not transfer money to an account that is in my son's name only.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett