Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#207636 - 07/04/04 05:14 AM Drunk Drivers
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Last week my teenage son had a close friend killed by a drunk driver. She was on her way home from work on a Sunday night. He ran 2 red lights and hit her right at the drivers door. Yesterday...we got the news that my wife's 80 year old aunt had been killed in a wreck with a drunk driver. Her funeral will be on the 4th of July...
LISTEN people...If you drink don't drive! I have nothing against drinking responsibly. Drinking and driving even as much as a few beers is too much! Please watch out for friends and family and don't let them drive drunk. The live you save maybe someone you love!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#207637 - 07/05/04 03:57 AM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

It makes no sense to me why people drink and drive. Every year so many people die because of other peoples bad decisions. Only tougher DUI and DWI laws and judges with the guts to enforce them will lower this
unnecessary lost of human lives.

Return to Top
#207638 - 07/05/04 07:22 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Only tougher DUI and DWI laws and judges with the guts to enforce them will lower this unnecessary lost of human lives."

Unfortunately I don't think this is true. As long as we have drinkers and automobiles, we will have drunk drivers. Most of us have felt the sting that TrueBlue is now feeling and part of the anger and frustration is that there isn't anything we can really do to put a complete stop to it. Sometimes I think living a long life involves more luck than we know.

Return to Top
#207639 - 07/06/04 02:24 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
my brother and sister both lost best friends to DD's... it is heart breaking and preventable. My sister's best friend was killed when her boyfriend was driving drunk and hit a brick mail box on her side of the car. so it also goes to say, don't get in cars with people who have been drinking!!

Return to Top
#207640 - 07/06/04 02:29 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I was so ticked off when Coach Bob "DRUNKEN MORON" Huggins got off with a slap on the wrist after he was arrested for drunken driving in Cincinnati. Huggins was fined $1,000, but the judge suspended $650 of that amount, reducing the coach's penalty to $350. Also, a 180-day jail term was suspended by 177 days. Huggins has the option to serve either three days in jail or in a court-appointed alcohol treatment facility.

Isn't this amazing? Why do we need tougher laws when our judges are suspending the sentences anyway? (Ohio requires a minimum of 10 days in jail). Current sentencing is a joke. We need judges to have loved ones killed by drunken drivers if we want true justice and a change. There is no deterrant to drunken driving the way it is now.

Return to Top
#207641 - 07/06/04 03:59 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my home town in SC this past weekend the local police set up a checkpoint to catch drunks drivers. A young man only 21 years of age ran the checkpoint. The police gave chase and by the time they caught him he had crashed into an innocent victim and killed her and himself. Such a terrible waste of life. The car was loaded with beer bottles....If you drink don't drink....will people ever learn?

Return to Top
#207642 - 07/06/04 04:59 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
And of course folks will blame the police for chasing him and accuse them of causing the accident. But someone who cannot see a police 'checkpoint' is not going to see anything else on the road. - WOW -

Return to Top
#207643 - 07/06/04 05:18 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
VioletRose Offline
100 Club
VioletRose
Land Of The Lost
I am so sorry for your loss. When I was in Junior High four of my friends were run down by a drunk driver who jumped the curb and ran them down on the side walk. Two died and one is still wired together with screws.
If I go out somewhere where I may be tempted by a few martinis (and I often am), I leave the car at home!
My thoughts are with your family.

Return to Top
#207644 - 07/07/04 01:21 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sometimes I think living a long life is more luck than anything!

This has a certain ring of truth to it! There are ways to avoid some drunk drivers. You can stay off the roads on ceratin holidays...New Years...4th of July. Don't drive on rural 2 lane roads after 10:00PM and especially on the weekends. Take the keys aways from friends and realtives that have been drinking. Always have a designated driver!
Report any erratic driving while you are on the road.

Return to Top
#207645 - 07/08/04 10:25 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know much about MADD? Is there a group for Fathers Against Drunk Drivers? I would like to do something to help make a difference!

Return to Top
#207646 - 07/08/04 10:35 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Does anyone know much about MADD? Is there a group for Fathers Against Drunk Drivers? I would like to do something to help make a difference!

Go to http://www.madd.org/home/
I don’t know if there is a fathers against drunk driver’s organization, but I’m sure MADD welcomes fathers as well.

Return to Top
#207647 - 07/08/04 10:37 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
VioletRose Offline
100 Club
VioletRose
Land Of The Lost
This was me. Sorry forgot to log on.

I don’t know if there is a fathers against drunk driver’s organization, but I’m sure MADD welcomes fathers as well.

Return to Top
#207648 - 07/09/04 02:11 AM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

This was me. Sorry forgot to log on.

GREAT WEBSITE!! Thanks..... VioletRose

Return to Top
#207649 - 07/10/04 02:28 AM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also visited the website and was amazed at how many people have been killed by drunk drivers over the years.
One lady lost her husband,oldest daughter and youngest son to a drunk driving accident. The only reason she and her 2 youngest daughters survived is because they were sick and did not make the skiing trip. I don't know what can be done to stop drunk drivers...I do know that I can be a designated driver and not let my friends or family drive drunk. I can educate my children and their friends about the horrors of drunk driving. Who knows I make even save a fews lives!!

Return to Top
#207650 - 07/12/04 04:50 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Some states / counties have requirements that breathalyzer things be installed in the cars of convicted drunk drivers. The car won't start if it measures a certain level. That means they had to be caught once already, though.

Return to Top
#207651 - 07/12/04 04:57 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Personally, I would like to see those installed in all cars and trucks.

Return to Top
#207652 - 07/12/04 05:01 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Personally, I would like to see those installed in all cars and trucks.

You know, if all the states are going to pass seat belt laws, this isn't a far fetched or bad idea.

Return to Top
#207653 - 07/12/04 05:17 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
problem is, and i have seen this first hand, if the driver knows they've had enough to fail the test they'll get some one to breathe for them... scared the heck out of me...

Return to Top
#207654 - 07/12/04 05:53 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Actually, the problem with this is that it punishes the people who act responsibly.

The biggest problem with DUI is the fact that judges let them get away with it. They dole out lesser sentences instead of throwing the book at them. They NEED to make the sentences being handed down from the bench a deterent to driving drunk, and they need to take repeat offenders off the streets.

Return to Top
#207655 - 07/12/04 05:55 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Actually, the problem with this is that it punishes the people who act responsibly.

I don't get it, how can you be punished if you are acting responsibly? My guess is that your car would start if you act responsible.

Return to Top
#207656 - 07/12/04 05:57 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I don't get it, how can you be punished if you are acting responsibly? My guess is that your car would start if you act responsible.

Because you have to blow for a breathalyzer ever time you want to drive, and you don't drink and drive, if there is a problem with that part on your car, you are stranded until it can be fixed and have to pay for it, even if you have never consumed a drop of alcohol in your life, etc. etc.

Return to Top
#207657 - 07/12/04 05:58 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

The biggest problem with DUI is the fact that judges let them get away with it. They dole out lesser sentences instead of throwing the book at them. They NEED to make the sentences being handed down from the bench a deterent to driving drunk, and they need to take repeat offenders off the streets.

The prisons are overcrowded. The jails are overcrowded. All sorts of criminals are getting lesser sentences including murderers, rapists, sex offenders, etc. Do we continue to build expensive prisons and treat prisoners first class? Or should there be more capital punishment?

Yeah throw the book at them...but where do we continue to put them?

Return to Top
#207658 - 07/12/04 05:59 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

The prisons are overcrowded. The jails are overcrowded. All sorts of criminals are getting lesser sentences including murderers, rapists, sex offenders, etc. Do we continue to build expensive prisons and treat prisoners first class? Or should there be more capital punishment?

Iraq?

Return to Top
#207659 - 07/12/04 06:03 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Iraq?

A good start...or Afghanistan.

Return to Top
#207660 - 07/12/04 10:11 PM Re: Drunk Drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I would rather you come at me with a knife or gun than a 2 ton automobile/truck or SUV driven by a drunk driver. At least with knife or gun I may have a chance to run. Most DUI/DWI fatalities the innocent victims don't know what hit them. Such a waste of totally innocent lifes....it's makes me sick!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5