Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2009198 - 04/21/15 02:38 PM Proxy for Transaction Term
JLM Offline
New Poster
For portfolio loans vs. loans sold to secondary market it appears we meet the first condition because terms of loans held in portfolio are consistently different than terms of loans sold. Not sure on second condition. If the LO offers the portfolio loan only if the consumer does not meet secondary guidelines does the second condition apply?

If meet both conditions do we have to compensate portfolio loans the same as secondary loans to comply?

Return to Top
Loan Originator Compensation Rule
#2009335 - 04/21/15 08:31 PM Re: Proxy for Transaction Term JLM
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
See the end of this thread...

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1993310#Post1993310

Short answer: Yes, you need to compensate the same for in-house portfolio as for secondary.

Return to Top
#2009941 - 04/23/15 08:51 PM Re: Proxy for Transaction Term JLM
JLM Offline
New Poster
Given the commentary...Are we okay if we compensate more for secondary loans than for portfolio loans?

Return to Top
#2010015 - 04/24/15 12:52 PM Re: Proxy for Transaction Term JLM
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Not based on my conversation with the FDIC.

Return to Top
#2014834 - 05/18/15 10:02 PM Re: Proxy for Transaction Term Dani York, CRCM
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
Our mortgage department personnel are compensated seperately from our salaried bank loan officers. Our bank loan officers do not make FNMA, USDA-RD or FHA loans. Has this changed?

Return to Top
#2078332 - 05/12/16 03:03 PM Re: Proxy for Transaction Term ccman
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
Bump! I'd like for Dani to revisit this tread if possible. We are looking at revamping our Comp. Policy.
thank you.

Return to Top
#2078410 - 05/12/16 06:38 PM Re: Proxy for Transaction Term JLM
Inspector Online
Gold Star
CCMAN, what are you looking to have clarified or looking for feedback on?

Return to Top
#2079591 - 05/20/16 02:59 PM Re: Proxy for Transaction Term ccman
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By ccman
Our mortgage department personnel are compensated seperately from our salaried bank loan officers. Our bank loan officers do not make FNMA, USDA-RD or FHA loans. Has this changed?

To my knowledge, the bank can structure compensation differently among classes of employees (ie salary for in-house portfolio lenders, commission for 2nd originators) provided that the employee's respective compensation does not differ because they refer an loan over the other channel. For example, if the inhouse portfolio lender is salaried and receives only salary for portfolio loans, but a flat referral fee for sending one over to the secondary market department, that is prohibited. So if you pay an incentive on one channel of loans, the same incentive would have to apply to the other channel of covered loans for that employee.

The employee has to receive the same compensation for each type of loan they touch (originate or refer). So you could have salaried inhouse portfolio lenders that receive a flat-fee incentive for all loans they originate or refer to the secondary market channel, provided the flat fee is the same regardless of which channel originates the loan. And you could have commissioned secondary market originators that receive incentive on all loans they originate or refer to the inhouse channel, though the crux with this is how do you apply the same incentive to loans they originate and loans they refer since they are on commission.

Hope that makes sense.

Return to Top