Skip to content
BOL Conferences

New Reply Thread Options
#2080247 - 05/25/16 01:08 PM Referral Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hypothetically, If the bank would pay a construction company for referrals for consumer home construction credit; Is this a Section 8 RESPA violation? If not can anyone give me advise on the ins and outs of creating a referral program?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2080290 - 05/25/16 02:49 PM Re: Referral Program Anonymous
Inspector Online
Gold Star
Based on what you described, this sounds like a RESPA Section 8 violation. I am assuming that what you are describing as consumer home construction credit doesn't fall into any of the exceptions from coverage under RESPA. Paying for referrals for loans that are exempt from RESPA Section 8 coverage is the only way to run a referral program involving any form of compensation or exchange of a "thing of value".

#2080305 - 05/25/16 03:36 PM Re: Referral Program Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anon2: If you are not very familiar with Section 8, you should consult a qualified attorney to help you set up your program.

#2080812 - 05/27/16 01:34 PM Re: Referral Program Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If the bank would pay a construction company for referrals for consumer home construction credit; Is this a Section 8 RESPA violation?

Construction only loans are not subject to RESPA......BUT if you do the end financing how can you reasonably defend that was not part of the referral? Especially if a majority of the "construction" loans are converted to the end financing either by a new loan or modification.

As suggested....seek out and hire a competent RESPA attorney if you proceed with this program.

#2080840 - 05/27/16 02:24 PM Re: Referral Program Anonymous
Banker57 Offline
Gold Star
Minnesota
Very good point Dan. Thank you for your input!

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale