Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#208728 - 07/08/04 03:46 PM need a wage increase
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been working at this bank for 4 months. I just got married. My wife doesn't start her job for like 2 months. We can't live on the wage I'm making. Do you think it is ok to go and ask for a raise if I explain the situation. Health insurance for her and me is what is killing my pay. I am losing an entire paycheck for health insurance. I need some advice. Thanks

Return to Top
Human Resources
#208729 - 07/08/04 04:03 PM Re: need a wage increase
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I've been working at this bank for 4 months. I just got married. My wife doesn't start her job for like 2 months. We can't live on the wage I'm making. Do you think it is ok to go and ask for a raise if I explain the situation. Health insurance for her and me is what is killing my pay. I am losing an entire paycheck for health insurance. I need some advice. Thanks

I wouldn't hold anything against you for asking, but I would also make decisions about your pay based on the value of your contributions to the bank, not on your personal situation.

Return to Top
#208730 - 07/08/04 04:41 PM Re: need a wage increase
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
Perhaps your wife could find some temp work. I think it would take a lot of nerve to ask for a raise after 4 months. I would be prepared to justify it with some miracle you have performed.

The regular raises we receive and await for each year are pitiful....and no where in line with the increase in the cost of living. To ask for one after 4 months just because you got married is insane.

Sorry...just my opinion.....

Return to Top
#208731 - 07/08/04 04:46 PM Re: need a wage increase
Anonymous
Unregistered

Asking your boss for a raise is not the same as asking your dad for an increase in your allowance. Allowance increases may well be justified by your financial circumstances. Salary increases are not. Go get a night job bartending or find a way to cut your living expenses. While your boss may sympathize with your problems, they are just that: your problems.

Return to Top
#208732 - 07/08/04 06:15 PM Re: need a wage increase
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are a full-time employee having completed at least a 4-month employment period, why are you having to pay all of your health insurance premium? Does your institution offer health insurance of any type?

I would also agree with the other posters who've drawn the distinction for you between someone who is seeking increased or improved compensation based on having been successful in meeting or exceeding a performance goal, and someone who unilaterally decides that they want more compensation based on their personal expenses and lifestyle. I think you'd fall within the latter.

Return to Top
#208733 - 07/08/04 07:25 PM Re: need a wage increase
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As noted, you can ask, but compensation isn't normally tied to or increased based on your dependants, whether you got married or had a child.

You may be able to ask for overtime if there are things needing to be done. You can also look at your tax withholdings and adjust that accordingly.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#208734 - 07/08/04 08:52 PM Re: need a wage increase
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

If you are a full-time employee having completed at least a 4-month employment period, why are you having to pay all of your health insurance premium? Does your institution offer health insurance of any type?

There are many institutions that do not pay for employees insurance. I am lucky that I now work for one that does. But for the 12 years prior, it was not. That bank was acquired by a bank that offered a cafeteria plan where you chose what your benefit amounts would purchase but that's the only way you could get any part of your insurance paid by them.

Return to Top
#208735 - 07/08/04 09:58 PM Re: need a wage increase
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Didn't you think about this before you got married? Weren't you planning this wedding when you took the job?

In my opinion, you should not ask for a raise. Your situation is your own doing and it is your responsibilty, not your employer's.

Return to Top
#208736 - 07/09/04 03:03 PM Re: need a wage increase
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
I agree. This is your problem, not your employers. If you ask and explain these reasons, you may weaken your image in your employers eyes. Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on theirs....2nd jobs are great, they helped me until I could be self-sufficient on one income. Its a sacrifice, but anything that is worth anything is.

Return to Top
#208737 - 07/09/04 04:23 PM Re: need a wage increase
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Quote:

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on theirs....2nd jobs are great, they helped me until I could be self-sufficient on one income. Its a sacrifice, but anything that is worth anything is.

Red: I agree with you. Why do people turn their nose up at getting a second job? For many of us, it was a way of life years ago.

Return to Top
#208738 - 07/09/04 05:00 PM Re: need a wage increase
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
Tell me about it. I used to carry three and would work 7 days straight for many months. I could have probably gotten away with two but I wanted to occasionally have a good time without skimping on groceries. I wish I had the energy now that I did back then. I still carry a little 2nd job teaching financial education. This gives me free vacation money without tapping the household budget. Having to skimp back then made me realize how important education and self development is, and I went to school as much as I could, and thankfully, it has paid off.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry