Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#209452 - 07/10/04 01:38 AM e-mail blast
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
Is there a risk for our marketing dept to send an e-mail blast and point the picture to an external site that is attached to the e-mail verbage.

Return to Top
Marketing
#209453 - 07/10/04 04:36 PM Re: e-mail blast
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I'm not sure I understand your question, but CAN SPAM flags were raised regardless.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#209454 - 07/10/04 07:44 PM Re: e-mail blast
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's what they are doing. Making the text on our bank's system, then loading all pictures on an external site, then pointing to that external site to get the picture and send the e-mail blast, looking like the e-mail comes from the bank. To me, if the last thing is getting the picture from the external site before sending, then, is the e-mail actually coming from the external site or our internal site?

I did ask the question to marketing, they believe it's ok to use the external site, even though the e-mail looks like its coming from the bank. I'm uncomfortable with the CAN-SPAM act provisions of the e-mail blast coming from an external site looking like it's coming from the bank.

Return to Top
#209455 - 07/10/04 07:44 PM Re: e-mail blast
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's what they are doing. Making the text on our bank's system, then loading all pictures on an external site, then pointing to that external site to get the picture and send the e-mail blast, looking like the e-mail comes from the bank. To me, if the last thing is getting the picture from the external site before sending, then, is the e-mail actually coming from the external site or our internal site?

I did ask the question to marketing, they believe it's ok to use the external site, even though the e-mail looks like its coming from the bank. I'm uncomfortable with the CAN-SPAM act provisions of the e-mail blast coming from an external site looking like it's coming from the bank.

i forgot to login - wavewatcher

Return to Top
#209456 - 07/12/04 02:21 PM Re: e-mail blast
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
To me this sounds like a blatant violation of CANSPAM.

Return to Top
#209457 - 07/12/04 03:50 PM Re: e-mail blast
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It sounds like you're saying the graphics are on an external site and will be shown on an HTML formatted message. So long as copyrights are not violated this is fine. but I would still be concerned with CAN SPAM rules. Remember there are technical requirements including
* Header cannot be false or misleading
* Subject cannot be false or misleading
* Cml email must contain an opt-out
* Identify it as an advertisement
* Incl. your physical address

But the requirements don't stop there. Unless you are familiar with the CAN SPAM rules and are either clearly not involved with them or compliant, I'd ask that a hold be placed here until a better understanding is obtained.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#209458 - 07/12/04 09:03 PM Re: e-mail blast
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
Thanks, I'll have to find out more information. Now they believe I'm holding up the process.

Return to Top
#209459 - 07/12/04 11:30 PM Re: e-mail blast
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
No, you are protecting their assets.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker