Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2111834 - 12/22/16 02:22 PM SAR/CTR Occupation for Multtaskers
Wildcat Rampage Offline
Kentucky - Home of the 8 time ...
I've researched, but could have missed this topic, of so my apologies.

John Doe is an entrepreneur. He is a farmer. He also runs a trucking company. He also runs a firearm business.

Intuitively, I feel that if he deposits cash or has suspicious activity into his farm account, he's a farmer, if it's his trucking account, he's a trucker, etc.

However, what if he deposits cash or conducts strange activity relative to his personal account? Part of me thinks that I should just pick one occupation, but the other part of me feels that I should consider the inherent risk from each occupation and consider that. Finally, yet another part of me understands that occupation is not a critical field on the SAR and CTR and that I'm only dwelling on this because I'm compulsive and pay a lot of attention to small details.

So - which occupation do I select? Can I go wrong?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2111837 - 12/22/16 02:26 PM Re: SAR/CTR Occupation for Multtaskers Wildcat Rampage
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
If it was me, for a CTR I would list "Entrepreneur" and on the SAR I would do the same thing and then list the specific lines of business that he is related to in the narrative.

Return to Top
#2111843 - 12/22/16 02:33 PM Re: SAR/CTR Occupation for Multtaskers Wildcat Rampage
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Do you happen to have his tax return? If you have that, I'd use whatever he puts as his own occupation.

Return to Top
#2111847 - 12/22/16 02:40 PM Re: SAR/CTR Occupation for Multtaskers Wildcat Rampage
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I try to discern the 'main' occupation. And describe the other sidelines in my narrative.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z