Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2122206 - 03/16/17 01:53 PM Employer Helping Employee Cash Check
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
We have non-customers attempting to cash on-us payroll checks. Many of the individuals cannot present proper ID to be able to cash these checks. They are endorsing the check back to the employer and the employer is coming in to cash the check for them. Would this make the employer a "check casher" for MSB purposes even though it's the bank actually cashing the check?
Thank you!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2122214 - 03/16/17 02:07 PM Re: Employer Helping Employee Cash Check ComplianceGurl, CRCM
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
No, I recently called FinCEN about that and no they are not required to register as an MSB if they are cashing their own payroll checks even if they are over $1.000.00.

Return to Top
#2122228 - 03/16/17 02:39 PM Re: Employer Helping Employee Cash Check ComplianceGurl, CRCM
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
FIN 2006 - G005

While a one off transaction might not be a concern, employers who say they are "cashing" their employees' checks may be padding their payrolls, engaging in human trafficking, etc. Concern over MSB status may be minor in comparison.

Return to Top
#2122270 - 03/16/17 05:18 PM Re: Employer Helping Employee Cash Check ComplianceGurl, CRCM
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you both for your feedback!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z