Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#2168382 - 03/15/18 03:55 PM Divorce subpoenas
Oh My!!! Offline
100 Club
Oh My!!!
Illinois
I provided information in August 2017 in response to a divorce subpoena. This morning I have an email from the attorney requesting additional information be provided to them by Monday. This is Thursday. Am I correct in telling them that a new subpoena is necessary for the information? Also, is there a set amount of time I have to be provided? They are requesting an additional 2 years of activity which takes a significant amount of time to provide. :-) Dealing with Subpoenas isn't my only job. Thanks so much for any input.

Return to Top
#2168622 - 03/16/18 03:41 PM Re: Divorce subpoenas Oh My!!!
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Unfortunately, the only person who is in a position to answer this question is legal counsel who is qualified to opine on state law.

Return to Top
#2169229 - 03/20/18 07:08 PM Re: Divorce subpoenas BrianC
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
...and who has actually had a chance to read the document.

Never take advice from the other guy's lawyer. Call your own.

Return to Top
#2171756 - 04/04/18 02:42 PM Re: Divorce subpoenas Oh My!!!
Oh My!!! Offline
100 Club
Oh My!!!
Illinois
Just an update. The problem with the 1 or 2 day notice was getting an answer back from legal counsel in time. What I found out is that Illinois requires 7 days notice by mail (not fax or email) for documents, or for a witness to be in court. If the subpoena is for a witness, the subpoena must be accompanied with payment for miles. This one is particularly funny because we just received a subpoena for documents to be delivered to Orlando Florida a week from yesterday. :-) As I look at the snow on the ground this morning, I'm sure we could find a few employees willing to sacrifice their time and deliver documents to Orlando. Sadly for those employees, the subpoena does allow mailing the documents.

I guess I should ask counsel ahead of time, what laws prevail when the subpoena is from out of state.

Return to Top
#2172036 - 04/05/18 01:59 PM Re: Divorce subpoenas Oh My!!!
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Generally, if your bank has no bricks and mortar in another state, that state's courts have no jurisdiction over your bank; i.e. they cannot compel you to do anything. An Illinois attorney may say "Generally" doesn't answer the question.

Return to Top