Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2185428 - 07/16/18 01:46 PM Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I have a 1969 12 x 56 MH with several room additions. The home looks absolutely nothing like a manufactured home. Even the roofline has been substantially modified. Is there any point where a MH is no longer a MH? The most recent picture is very dated, 2004, but it looks like a site built stucco-type home with a house-style metal roof.

Hard for me to say this is not a dwelling crazy

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2185432 - 07/16/18 01:58 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
If it was built before 1976, it isn't going to meet the HUD definition of a MH. Does that help, or is your question aimed a different way?

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/rmra/mhs/faqs

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2185435 - 07/16/18 02:04 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think the question is: When is a mobile home no longer a mobile home if it has been substantially altered over a period of time and now takes on the look of any other single family dwelling.

Return to Top
#2185437 - 07/16/18 02:14 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Yes, that's it precisely, Randy.

Return to Top
#2185438 - 07/16/18 02:15 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Honestly, if I had to stake my life on it...I would never guess it could have ever been one. I've seen more MH-looking ranch-style homes.

ETA: If this tells you anything, it's insured for $105k
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/16/18 02:16 PM.

Return to Top
#2185441 - 07/16/18 02:18 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Well, I don't know the answer to that as I have never found any citations that would say a MH is no longer a manufactured home. In the past, I have occasionally see a huge house that we reported as a MH because the owner had started with a MH (in the center of the structure) and just kept adding on. The plates were still there and the appraisal called it a MH, so we would report these as MHs.

In this question, my thought was that this (I believe) would never be reported as a MH in the first place as it didn't comply with HUD standards - according to the FAQ I provided, since it was built before 1976, it wouldn't comply to the standards.

From the FAQ:
"My home was built before June 15, 1976. I've made some modifications to my home and believe it meets the HUD Standards. Can someone come inspect my home to make sure it's in compliance with the Standards?

HUD does not inspect homes. Homes built prior to June 15, 1976, even with modifications, do not meet the HUD standards and cannot be accepted as compliant with the HUD Code. As the homeowner, you may find a licensed engineer willing to inspect your home for compliance with your state's housing code. FHA does not insure mortgages on manufactured homes built prior to June 15, 1976. Most other mortgage insurance firms follow FHA's policy."

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2185450 - 07/16/18 02:26 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I understand all of that. This is not a question as to HUD 'upgrading'...it's a question of I don't really have an old MH. I have a very nice home that apparently has some skeletal remains of an old MH in there somewhere. wink

These are typically way more cut and dried. My typical philosophy is 'once a MH always a MH', but that typically ties in more to title or retired title circumstances or some small addition of some sort.

This just isn't the case with this one. I think my best option is maybe base it on whether the title is still in existence or whether it was retired. If it's retired, I may just consider this one site-built. I have a feeling I could defend that better based on the physical evidence. laugh!

Return to Top
#2185451 - 07/16/18 02:26 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I think Joker's point is......if a MH, it's not gonna be a "dwelling" because it's pre-1976....but if it has ceased to be a MH, then it will be reportable. I honestly think you're gonna just have to go with your gut Joker......i don't see a lot of guidance. I think you could probably defend it either way.

Return to Top
#2185455 - 07/16/18 02:43 PM Re: Tax Card says Mobile home, BUT RR Joker
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Ah, that clarifies it raitchjay and Joker. I was just thinking from the perspective of MH and not whether it was a dwelling. I agree with raitchjay that you will have to flip a coin and then document why you did what you did. smile

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM