Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#2194703 - 10/04/18 04:53 PM MMDAs-Subject to Funds Availability?
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Since a MMDA is a savings account - it is not subject to Reg CC Funds Availability disclosure and hold rules correct?

Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2194730 - 10/04/18 06:55 PM Re: MMDAs-Subject to Funds Availability? Likes to Comply
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Correct. MMDAs are governed by Reg D.

(2) The term “savings deposit” also means: A deposit or account, such as an account commonly known as a passbook savings account, a statement savings account, or as a money market deposit account (MMDA),

Return to Top
#2194731 - 10/04/18 06:57 PM Re: MMDAs-Subject to Funds Availability? Likes to Comply
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
Check your state laws, however. In California, savings accounts are subject to state funds availability laws.

Return to Top
#2194754 - 10/04/18 08:14 PM Re: MMDAs-Subject to Funds Availability? Likes to Comply
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Interesting. Out of curiosity, how do deposit-secured loans work? I assume there are exceptions to account for it?

Return to Top
#2194757 - 10/04/18 08:19 PM Re: MMDAs-Subject to Funds Availability? Likes to Comply
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Collateral holds are not subject to Reg CC.

Return to Top
#2194769 - 10/04/18 08:32 PM Re: MMDAs-Subject to Funds Availability? Likes to Comply
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I am referring to the reference of savings accounts in California, and am genuinely curious. (Of course, if that's what you're meaning, then thank you.....and then I feel like a dummy. Hehe.)

Return to Top
#2194948 - 10/09/18 03:40 PM Re: MMDAs-Subject to Funds Availability? Likes to Comply
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Not a dummy at all!

Massachusetts, like California, pulls savings account under the Reg CC tentflaps, and bankers here have to make funds in regulator savings and MMDA accounts available just as they would if the funds were in a transaction account. CD accounts aren't affected.

But, a collateral hold on all or a portion of an account balance isn't affected by Reg CC. It takes precedence, as would a hold on funds in response to an IRS levy or other legal attachment of the funds.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett