Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#663634 - 01/09/07 09:26 PM Required signs for banks
BJ Offline
New Poster
Where can I find what signs are required to be posted in the bank - such as FDIC (how many signs and placed where) and Equal Housing poster? Also, did the Equal Housing poster change as well as the FDIC signs?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#663652 - 01/09/07 09:34 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You'll find a good checklist in the Signage section of Banker Tools. You'll need to "fill in" with any state requirements.

There has been no change to the EH poster of which I am aware.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#663710 - 01/09/07 10:49 PM Re: Required signs for banks John Burnett
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The FDIC requires that one of their official signs be at each station or other place where insured deposits are accepted. That means you need one at every teller station (except remote deposit units like ATMs) and at any desk where deposits are accepted.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1820796 - 06/05/13 09:19 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Can we use the small sign we all got from the FDIC, that is placed on nameplates or do we need large signs for each teller window?

Return to Top
#1820814 - 06/05/13 09:38 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sec. 328.1 Official sign.

(a) The official sign referred to in this part shall be 7" by 3" in size, with black lettering and gold background, and of the following design:

Return to Top
#2197566 - 11/07/18 03:52 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
k8e Offline
100 Club
Another revival post. My FI is going to a "future banking" concept. We don't have teller "stations" but instead we have employees with tablets that can literally accept deposits anywhere within the branch. Aside from the employee wearing the sign, or putting the notice on the actual tablet, does anyone have suggestions on how to comply?
Last edited by k8e; 11/07/18 04:18 PM.
Return to Top
#2197613 - 11/07/18 05:45 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Interesting. I like it (the idea of tellers walking around with tablets and helping customers), but it creates a problem. My solution would be there has to be a table to stand by or area to sit down with the customers. Those places would need to have “Member FDIC” signs. IOW, high top tables or a table and chairs where you gather around with the customers. Have the FDIC signs on those tables and I think you would be fine.

Return to Top
#2197615 - 11/07/18 05:49 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
burke116 Offline
Platinum Poster
Petersburg, VA
Glue the "Member FDIC" sign onto the back of the tablet. (I'm only half kidding.)

Return to Top
#2197616 - 11/07/18 05:52 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I like David's suggestion and would add that having a sign on your entry door might help to appease an examiner or auditor who might try to criticize you for middle of the room transactions. I too like the concept - sounds like an Apple Store concept.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2197617 - 11/07/18 05:53 PM Re: Required signs for banks burke116
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By burke116
Glue the "Member FDIC" sign onto the back of the tablet. (I'm only half kidding.)

No glue is necessary when you get the self-adhesive decals... wink

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2197643 - 11/07/18 07:00 PM Re: Required signs for banks k8e
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By k8e
Another revival post. My FI is going to a "future banking" concept. We don't have teller "stations" but instead we have employees with tablets that can literally accept deposits anywhere within the branch. Aside from the employee wearing the sign, or putting the notice on the actual tablet, does anyone have suggestions on how to comply?

where will cash be placed once the customer has given to your employee? that is where i would place the sign, at that location

Return to Top
#2197649 - 11/07/18 07:08 PM Re: Required signs for banks k8e
k8e Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By k8e
The customer would give the deposit to the teller, and the teller would put the funds into the recycler. The recycler is in the back room in most branches, although it may be in the lobby area in traditional branches in an inconspicuous area – similar to a transaction for a coin machine.

The customer would give the deposit to the teller, and the teller would put the funds into the recycler. The recycler is in the back room in most branches, although it may be in the lobby area in traditional branches in an inconspicuous area – similar to a transaction for a coin machine.

Return to Top
#2197655 - 11/07/18 07:28 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
if the recycler in back room says that the customer is short then what?

I can not imagine a "teller' balancing a tablet, assorted documents for signature, pens, marketing stuff and counting cash.

I must be old; in my day we only had 2 hands.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2197677 - 11/07/18 08:19 PM Re: Required signs for banks edAudit
k8e Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By edAudit
if the recycler in back room says that the customer is short then what?

I can not imagine a "teller' balancing a tablet, assorted documents for signature, pens, marketing stuff and counting cash.

I must be old; in my day we only had 2 hands.

I guess technology counts as a third hand? Assorted documents for signature are all in the tablet. Pens are not needed because it is all in the tablet. Cash is verified with the customer prior to completing the transaction on the tablet and the customer receives a receipt.
It is definitely out of my comfort zone, and has some risk, but that's the direction we're going - - just trying to figure out how to comply with some of the outdated regulations while technology moves forward.

Return to Top
#2197681 - 11/07/18 08:32 PM Re: Required signs for banks k8e
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By k8e
[

Cash is verified with the customer prior to completing the transaction on the tablet and the customer receives a receipt.
It is definitely out of my comfort zone, and has some risk, but that's the direction we're going - - just trying to figure out how to comply with some of the outdated regulations while technology moves forward.

so customer brings in $37,825.48 in cash, this is counted in the lobby? customer and employee just standing there with a chunk of cash while someone manually counts it? maybe sitting on a sofa for comfort? while another customer maybe sits next to them on the same sofa?

Return to Top
#2197758 - 11/08/18 03:53 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
That was my point. Thanks happy.

Do we still teach tellers to count cash down to the counter like we did in the old days?

I have been out of a 'cash' bank for a while.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2197810 - 11/08/18 06:52 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
k8e Offline
100 Club
I confirmed that generally most transactions are negotiated in the lobby ITMs. If there is an internal transfer or a check that it won't accept, that is done through the tablet. If there is too much cash for the ITM to handle or for the employee to quickly verify in the lobby, the transaction is taken and is counted out of sight in dual control, similar to how drive thru transactions that come in from a tube into a room that the customer can't see in to. Or, if the customer prefers, they can go to an office typically reserved for opening new accounts or loan apps and conduct the transaction there.

It sounds like the concept has received mostly positive feedback between customers and employees, but we're looking for a way to comply with the insurance signage requirements. So far, it sounds like a tablet decal and training tablet holders to stand next to signage when accepting deposits is our best bet.

Thank you all!

Return to Top
#2197866 - 11/08/18 09:06 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
of course, you could always reach out to the FDIC and pose this very question and follow their guidance

Return to Top
#2197903 - 11/09/18 02:35 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
What about having a "Must Read" screen on the tablet that the customer has to read through then click OK to proceed before they can sign anything?

Return to Top
#2197915 - 11/09/18 03:13 PM Re: Required signs for banks BJ
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Have you considered elevating substance over form...and dealing with the regulators later?

Just thinking out loud here, but what if these wandering CSRs offered a paper copy of "Your Insured Deposit" (or the electronic equivalent for customers properly equipped) to each person making a deposit? That's consistent with the spirit of the FDI regs and a much better level of service than the official sign. (You would still want to place the sign at all branch entrances and traditional paying/receiving locations.)

Later, if some regulator has the nerve to declare a "finding," challenge him/her to suggest ANY way to deliver 21st century customer service and still comply with this Depression-era regulation.

Return to Top