Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2236188 - 05/05/20 05:47 PM Joint Intent on PPP requests
Christy C Offline
A little late in the game but, how are you all handling joint intent documentation on PPP applications? I don’t see anything on form 2484 or 2483 that mentions intent at all. Is this still a requirement?
Last edited by Christy Campbell; 05/05/20 06:16 PM.
Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2236191 - 05/05/20 06:17 PM Re: Joint Intent on PPP requests Christy C
Christy C Offline
It seems the common understanding is that because loans are made to an entity and there are no guarantors that the joint intent portion of Reg B would not apply. Would love thoughts/clarification.

Return to Top
#2236198 - 05/05/20 08:12 PM Re: Joint Intent on PPP requests Christy C
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Guarantors are not applicants.

Return to Top
#2236200 - 05/05/20 08:23 PM Re: Joint Intent on PPP requests Christy C
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
1002.2:

(e) Applicant means any person who requests or who has received an extension of credit from a creditor, and includes any person who is or may become contractually liable regarding an extension of credit. For purposes of §1002.7(d), the term includes guarantors, sureties, endorsers, and similar parties

Christy to the best of my knowledge the joint intent requirement in Reg. B was not waived and the the joint intent applies to all credit requests regardless if business or consumer..
Last edited by Dan Persfull; 05/05/20 08:26 PM.

Return to Top
#2236205 - 05/05/20 08:48 PM Re: Joint Intent on PPP requests Christy C
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How can you have joint applicants on a PPP loan?

Return to Top
#2236219 - 05/06/20 11:53 AM Re: Joint Intent on PPP requests Christy C
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
True. Let me clarify:

If a guarantor applies with the applicant for shared or joint credit, joint intent would be required for the guarantor.

If a guarantor does not apply with the applicant, and the requirement of a guarantor is a condition of the loan, evidence of joint intent would not be required for the guarantor.

In my experience, I don't see guarantors applying jointly very often. smile

Return to Top
#2236222 - 05/06/20 01:30 PM Re: Joint Intent on PPP requests Christy C
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Correct - a guarantor required by lender policy does not trigger a joint intent.

Paragraph 7(d)(6).

1. Guarantees. A guarantee on an extension of credit is part of a credit transaction and therefore subject to the regulation. A creditor may require the personal guarantee of the partners, directors, or officers of a business, and the shareholders of a closely held corporation, even if the business or corporation is creditworthy. The requirement must be based on the guarantor's relationship with the business or corporation, however, and not on a prohibited basis. For example, a creditor may not require guarantees only for women-owned or minority-owned businesses. Similarly, a creditor may not require guarantees only of the married officers of a business or the married shareholders of a closely held corporation.

Return to Top
#2236262 - 05/06/20 06:45 PM Re: Joint Intent on PPP requests Christy C
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Summing up -- The joint intent requirement applies to PPP loans just as it does to any other loan. As noted, many if not most of the PPP loans don't have joint applicants, but if a PPP loan does have a joint applicant or a guarantor not required by lender policy, the joint intent must be documented during the application process.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z