Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2241557 - 08/25/20 04:07 PM Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments
Community Banker Offline
100 Club
I have a customer that would like to waive all interest payments due to religious reasons. Customer would like to open 2 savings accounts for their children. I don't offer a savings account that doesn't pay interest, however my core system allows for me to "turn off" interest payments at the account level. Here are my questions:

1) Can anyone see any compliance reasons to not do this? Considering I will now have 2 accounts in my system that will not earn interest.
2) I had anticipated asking the customer to write and sign a simple request asking for this to be done. Anyone know of a better way to handle this?

As always, I appreciate any feedback. .

Thank you!!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2241566 - 08/25/20 05:56 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Rather than changing up your entire system, what is preventing the customer from putting the funds in a non-interest bearing checking account and not ordering checks?

Return to Top
#2241568 - 08/25/20 06:05 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
We would not do this. If we don't offer the product we don't rework our system to accommodate one person.

Return to Top
#2241569 - 08/25/20 06:08 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
Community Banker Offline
100 Club
For us, a minor can't have a checking account. These would be custodial savings accounts. But that would be a perfect solution if I could use it!

Return to Top
#2241570 - 08/25/20 06:09 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
There is nothing stopping you for setting up a checking account using the UTMA with the parent as the only signer.

Return to Top
#2241582 - 08/25/20 08:50 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
Community Banker Offline
100 Club
Thank you for your suggestions!!

Return to Top
#2241584 - 08/25/20 08:59 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
would it be too flippant of me to suggest just giving the customer 2 piggy banks...they can load it up with as much cash as they'd like and it pays no interest

Return to Top
#2241588 - 08/25/20 09:14 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The customer wants the safety of keeping funds in the bank, probably also provide the education to their child about keeping a bank book, responsible use of money, etc. but happens to have a belief regarding the payment of interest. There are more benefits to a bank account than earning interest.

For those of us who do not share those beliefs it's generally assumed that the custodian would invest the funds on the minor's behalf to maximize its value when the child reaches the age of majority, but I don't see anything n the UTMA that requires this. It's just a way to transfer property to a minor. It's unusual to have a UTMA account in a checking account, but nothing in the UTMA that prohibits it.

I hope this approach can help accommodate the customer while at the same time keeping the bank from jumping through unnecessary hoops (which as chenin posted) I would not do.

Return to Top
#2241589 - 08/25/20 09:25 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Definitely not my area of expertise, but if all else fails, i wonder if the customer might be made aware (i'm just suggesting this....i'm not super-familiar with his ethical or moral objections, so he might be unmoved) of the possibility of making a monthly donation to charity in the amount of the interest earned.

Return to Top
#2241644 - 08/27/20 12:37 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
article in ABA journal today about a bank that does just this

https://americasbanks.aba.com/stori...p;utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

Return to Top
#2241646 - 08/27/20 12:53 PM Re: Customer Would Like to Waive All Interest Payments Community Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yeah, you need to be careful and think about this seriously. While there are no fair deposit laws, giving them an account that does not pay interest does not seem like such a big deal in my mind. You might want to consider a reasonable accommodation rather than be a test case in a Civil Rights action. This seems like an easy request over structuring a loan that includes a "lender profit" rather than paying the lender interest.

https://www.minneapolisfed.org/arti...r-lenders-and-interestaverse-populations

Return to Top