Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2273538 - 07/28/22 06:52 PM Crypto question on business CDD questionnaire
J_G Offline
Gold Star
If your bank has any questions regarding cryptocurrency on your business account opening questionnaire, what do you ask?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2273543 - 07/28/22 08:37 PM Re: Crypto question on business CDD questionnaire J_G
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
ours asks, "does the business invest in, or conduct transactions with Cryptocurrency (i.e. Bitcoin)?
Please list virtual currency used or accepted
Please list virtual exchanges used

Return to Top
#2273555 - 07/29/22 03:58 AM Re: Crypto question on business CDD questionnaire J_G
Mike S Offline
New Poster
The question is a simple yes/no, like the post above: "Does your organization conduct transactions, and/or do business with any other companies or clients that transact with cryptocurrency (i.e., Bitcoin)?"

But really, the the next question should be: "Is the main purpose of this account to be used for regular transactions with cryptocurrency and/or virtual currency exchanges?"

If any of those answers are yes, and you don't already have dozens of pages of policies regarding cryptocurrency, you probably shouldn't open the account.

On a side note: You should go to your Board and decide if you are going to allow crypto companies to bank at your institution, keeping in mind this is where it's all headed in the next two decades.

There are approx. 4,920 banks and commercial financial institutions in the United States.

When I got into this [cryptocurrency] business in 2013, there were exactly three (3) banks that would take on a crypto companies as a customer.

As of last month, I know of at least 120 that are now all competing for our business. .

I recall meetings two decades ago where online banking was considered a fad and something to avoid. Too risky and too much liability. You're either on the train, or you're getting run over. Something to think about. smile

Return to Top
#2273572 - 07/29/22 05:29 PM Re: Crypto question on business CDD questionnaire J_G
J_G Offline
Gold Star
What sort of due diligence should we obtain on a bitcoin mining company?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z