Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2289822 - 10/17/23 07:37 PM Bitcoin customer - Now What?
JennKK2 Offline
Gold Star
-
looking for those who bank customers who deal in bitcoin to offer some information about what they ask at account opening, then based on those answers, how to assign risk, and what monitoring looks like going forward. what i know is they buy and sell. yes there are wires.
customer's previous bank closed account, knocked on our door, management said sure.
thank you for any advice

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2289842 - 10/18/23 07:58 AM Re: Bitcoin customer - Now What? JennKK2
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You first have to define what you mean by "deal in bitcoin". Buy and sell for whom? Where does the cash come from for these transactions. IF another bank closed their account, there is a reason for it. Crypto currencies are a favorite for money laundering, terrorist financing, etc. Turning a blind eye and not knowing exactly what the customer is doing is not a great idea.

Return to Top
#2289844 - 10/18/23 10:49 AM Re: Bitcoin customer - Now What? JennKK2
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Do you mean an individual customer who buys and sell bitcoin on their own behalf? Or do you mean a firm trading in a bitcoin on behalf of others? The risks are very different.

Return to Top
#2289850 - 10/18/23 02:18 PM Re: Bitcoin customer - Now What? JennKK2
JennKK2 Offline
Gold Star
-
what i know is this is a retired person who invests in bitcoin by the simply buying and selling it. yes on their own behalf. they wire money out to purchase then money gets wired in if the decision was made to sell. sometimes there are large balances, sometimes not. i understand the money laundering risk and terrorist financing risk. we have been told the customer is completely forthcoming with all the information - i just want to be sure i am asking any and all the right questions giving the willingness answer. the previous bank closed the account due to a "wire issue". deals in multiple crypto currencies. utilizes coinbase and kraken(?)

Return to Top
#2289896 - 10/19/23 12:59 PM Re: Bitcoin customer - Now What? JennKK2
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
sounds like a logistaical nightmare where the cost of montioring this client will far outweigh the fee revenue...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z