Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#435717 - 10/05/05 06:30 PM Mortgage Escrow Waiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

We frequently waive our mortgage borrower's requirement for monthly escrow of taxes and insurance. Is there any federal regulatory requirement that we disclose to the borrower the implications of not escrowing?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#435718 - 10/05/05 06:47 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
None I'm aware of.

Return to Top
#435719 - 10/05/05 06:48 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Dan. Neither am I but our outside QC auditor is listing it as an exception on loans we waive escrow. Guess I need to dig into deeper with them! Probably a trainee auditor!

Return to Top
#435720 - 10/05/05 06:50 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I guess it could possibly be a state issue, but it would not be one in IN.

If they have a cite, please share it.

Return to Top
#435721 - 10/05/05 07:24 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
The standard FNMA/FHLMC mortgages have information in them regarding escrows, and both the lenders and borrowers responsibilities.

I agree with Dan-I am not aware of any federal requirements for this. We created an internal escrow waiver form, just to reinforce our and the borrowers responsibilities.

Return to Top
#435722 - 10/06/05 01:11 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I would see the waiver of escrow requirements as more of a portfolio management issue than a regulatory compliance issue (assuming proper notifications have been given). We used to allow certain mortgagors to pay their own taxes directly to the collectors, and our outside auditor took exception to that, based on the concern that we would not be able to make sure taxes were paid on time, and so there was a greater risk of a tax lien than if we paid the taxes via escrow accounts.

Now the board will not allow us to waive escrow on any first mortgage loans.

Return to Top
#435723 - 11/01/05 08:17 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
regwhy Offline
100 Club
Midwest
We just had our external auditor site us for not disclosing the effects of not escrowing on loans that we did escrow! We aske them to please provide the regulation & sitation that requires this.

We do provide an Escrow Waiver notice on loans that the borrower opts to not have escrow though. I think most lenders do.

Return to Top
#435724 - 11/04/05 08:35 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
regwhy Offline
100 Club
Midwest
From the auditor:
Fannie Mae Announcement 04-06
"We encourage lenders to provide all borrowers with a timely, clearly written disclosure that advises them of the implications of not establishing an escrow account, particularly:
- informing borrowers of any applicable fees associated with the waiver of escrow;
- advising borrowers that they are responsible for personally and directly paying the non-escrowed items, in addition to paying the mortgage loan payment; and
- explaining the consequences of failure to pay non-escrowed items, including the requirement for lender placement of insurance and the potentially higher cost (including any potential commission payments to the lender) and/or reduced coverage for borrowers of lender-paid insurance." policies apply to all loans closed on or after 1/1/05.

What are our options, can we still make a business decision to not provide the waiver of escrow notice on loans that aren't waiving it? This is just a recommendation, right?

Return to Top
#435725 - 11/04/05 09:01 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

This is just a recommendation, right?

""We encourage lenders to provide ". I think if my investor was encouraging me to do something that I would probably abide with their encouragement if within reason. And I see this as being within reason.

I see no reason for providing the waiver if it is not applicable to the transaction.

Return to Top
#2292854 - 01/25/24 10:02 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I realize the last post on this was from 2005, but the topic and subject line are appropriate...

Aside from mandatory Flood and HPML escrows, is there any prohibition or fair lending concern with requiring escrows for consumer mortgage loans but exemptions for certain high-net-worth borrowers?

Basically, I can make a safe argument that a borrower with X net worth is more than capable of covering their escrows on their own. Maybe even tie a credit score and LTV component to make it a three-tier test?

Thanks

CRCM

Return to Top
#2292861 - 01/26/24 12:27 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Any time you condition the approval of a loan based on a certain condition (in this case required escrows when they are not mandatory), you have fair lending risks. Whatever criteria you select, you should make sure it is not applied in a manner that represents a disparate impact.

Return to Top
#2292880 - 01/26/24 03:18 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Thanks Randy. Keeping in line with what you've said- this would still be allowed as long as we developed the business reasoning behind it and stuck to the standard?

Obviously anything that tripped Flood or HPML would have to require escrows, regardless of the rule.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2292881 - 01/26/24 03:20 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
To add, I think it's more of a disparate impact to NOT require escrows. I think we set borrowers up for failure, particularly with regard to first time buyers and those with less than par credit quality.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2292887 - 01/26/24 03:47 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, if you require escrows for all of the minority applicants because they do not meet some criteria you set but all the rich white guys do not have to have an escrow account was more of what I was driving at. You just have to have your business necessity argument in order if questioned.

Return to Top
#2292889 - 01/26/24 04:02 PM Re: Mortgage Escrow Waiver rlcarey
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Understood. May be something I run past my EIC to get it on record.

Appreciate your insight.

CRCM

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z