Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#285852 - 12/08/04 07:19 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Anonymous
Unregistered

The BCS has noticiably failed miserably twice: the year Nebraska played Miami and last year with LSU vs. Oklahoma (I think there was one other year that there was a similar type goof). The system isn't designed to have the top 8 teams playing in its games. The system's ONLY purpose is to get the #1 and #2 teams in the nation playing each other. Every other BCS game is designed so the bowl's original conference tie-ins remain intact.

The system would be fixed with three changes:
1.) Go back to the system used last year (also used when OSU beat Miami)with the average of the polls, the computers, quality wins, etc.
2.) National championship game stipulation: both participants must win their conference championship.
3.) No pre-season polls. The first rankings come out after every division 1-A team has played at least 5 games.

If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to chime in.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#285853 - 12/08/04 07:21 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I agree Texas and Cal should play each other. My original point is that that the BCS repeatedly failed(witness the tooling of USC the previous year and the previous year when the team that slips my mind failed to win their conference yet went to the Championship Game. The BCS was a well intentioned band-aid designed to alleviate the clamor for a national playoff. As to whether Mack Brown's lobbying had an effect, we'll never really know because unlike the AP poll, the votes are secret. Obviously he felt it might have an effect, or he wouldn't have bothered. Also, the fact that there are seven votes from the SEC as compared to four in the Pac-10 raises questions as well. The only real question remains is how long we will try to tinker with a broken system.

Return to Top
#285854 - 12/08/04 07:21 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Forget polls. Institute December Madness a tourney that starts at the beginning of December and has the final match over the Christmas holiday.

Return to Top
#285855 - 12/08/04 08:27 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Quote:

I also realize they did not run up the score like OU did against Nebraska

It just goes to show you what good sportsmanship will get you these days.

The fault I find with this is that last year when Stoops and the Sooners were winning by 50+ points (even playing subs) they were in the wrong and all the analysts talked about how unsportsmanlike that was. This year they were winning but due to the running/passing game did not score as many (passes either stop the clock or gain lots of ground to score more often) points as they did last year - well, they must not be as good a team. Then when it gets down to having to meet the point spread by a good margin to rank in the BCS (going for it on 4th down) they are criticized again. I have decided that no matter what decision Stoops makes, they will find fault with it. And then I don't find many talking about USC's fake punt when they were up by 24 and only 7 minutes left.
Last edited by Boomermom; 12/08/04 09:45 PM.
Return to Top
#285856 - 12/09/04 12:00 AM Re: Heisman Vote
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Usually I'll take any chance I can get to bash the longhorns, but in this case I have to say quit blaming Texas for pushing Cal out, if anyone is to blame it's Pitt and Michigan. Besides Cal was overrated, when ever I hear anyone talk about them they're case for why their any good is that they almost beat USC, well Kansas is only a hand full of points away from having a ten win season so I guess they're pretty great to. Anyway, Texas went through the big XII with one loss to the real number one team in the country, definitely tougher than the Pac 10. One last point, I haven't read it here but to those that say that it should have been Cal to keep the Rose Bowl tradition, no it shouldn't, Cal wasn't Pac 10 champion, so Texas has just as much right to be there as Cal did.

Go Big XII,
Go Sooners,
And enjoy feeling our pain of having to deal with the Tech offense

Return to Top
#285857 - 12/09/04 01:19 AM Re: Heisman Vote
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I agree Texas and Cal should play each other. My original point is that that the BCS repeatedly failed(witness the tooling of USC the previous year and the previous year when the team that slips my mind failed to win their conference yet went to the Championship Game. The BCS was a well intentioned band-aid designed to alleviate the clamor for a national playoff. As to whether Mack Brown's lobbying had an effect, we'll never really know because unlike the AP poll, the votes are secret. Obviously he felt it might have an effect, or he wouldn't have bothered. Also, the fact that there are seven votes from the SEC as compared to four in the Pac-10 raises questions as well. The only real question remains is how long we will try to tinker with a broken system.

What do you mean, the previous year. Oklahoma did not win its conference championship last year. It got smoked in the conference championship game.

Who cares if Mack Brown's words were effective? I think they were in a way. Not to get people to vote for Texas, but to prevent them from ignoring Texas or Utah or Cal and just keeping the status quo so long as each team won. The same with the undefeated teams--I think it makes them think before they just rubberstamp what they sent in week after week after week.

If Mack Brown helped his team, good for him! He gets paid a whole lot of money to help them. He did his job. No apologies. And I think the criticism is silly. It was far from "classless." No one from Cal was saying it was classless when they thought they'd locked up the Rose Bowl.

Return to Top
#285858 - 12/09/04 05:09 AM Re: Heisman Vote
Borg Offline
100 Club
Borg
BOL
Quote:

Besides Cal was overrated, when ever I hear anyone talk about them they're case for why their any good is that they almost beat USC

Cal was overrated BECAUSE USC is overrated.

Return to Top
#285859 - 12/09/04 03:17 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Anonymous
Unregistered

USC, Oklahoma and Auburn are all worthy to be in the National Championship. The arguement isnt if one of them is overrated or not. They have all done what they had to. All 3 deserve a shot. The BCS doesnt allow that. If the championship was Auburn vs. Oklahoma, we would be talkign about how USC got ripped off. Not because the others didnt deserve to be there...but USC does too.

Texas almost lost to Kansas.

Return to Top
#285860 - 12/09/04 08:09 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Anonymous
Unregistered

The BCS worked this year;
AP Poll: USC and Oklahoma are the top two teams.
Coaches Poll: USC and Oklahoma are the top two teams.
Computer Rankings: USC and Oklahoma are the top two teams.
The BCS's only goal is to have #1 play #2.

Imagine these matchups in a Non-BCS world:
Orange: Oklahoma vs. Virginia Tech
Fiesta: Cal vs. Utah
Rose: Michigan vs. USC
Sugar: Auburn vs. Texas

Return to Top
#285861 - 12/09/04 08:11 PM Re: Heisman Vote
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
It needs to set loftier goals.

Return to Top
#285862 - 12/09/04 08:26 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
How about an eight team playoff with the top 8: 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5. It makes the most sense, but it will never happen. Side note: If the BCS goal is only to have #1 play #2, why the other three bowls?

Return to Top
#285863 - 12/09/04 08:28 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Anonymous
Unregistered

All of these bowls have tie-ins to the conferences that make up the BCS. Their champions went to these bowls in the pre-BCS days.

Return to Top
#285864 - 12/09/04 08:35 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
It was kind of a rhetorical question. The claim is that most people want to see the best teams in these match-ups but that is not true. What most fans want is a national playoff system. Instead they get the Bogus Championship Series.

Return to Top
#285865 - 12/09/04 08:48 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I agree Swim. Give us December Madness!

Return to Top
#285866 - 12/09/04 09:18 PM Re: Heisman Vote
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
I agree w/Puddy - take the conference champs & establish a play-off system - forget the voters, forget the computer algorithms, stop the trash-talkin' & win it on the field!

Return to Top
#285867 - 12/09/04 09:26 PM Re: Heisman Vote
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
Michael P hit the nail on the head!

Return to Top
#285868 - 12/09/04 09:43 PM Re: Heisman Vote
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

How about an eight team playoff with the top 8: 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5. It makes the most sense, but it will never happen. Side note: If the BCS goal is only to have #1 play #2, why the other three bowls?

That is a good start, but don't the lesser divisions have many more teams than that?

Return to Top
#285869 - 12/09/04 10:14 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
If you can do a 64 team basketball tourney in less than a month, you can certainly do a 64 team football tourney in a month.

Return to Top
#285870 - 12/09/04 10:18 PM Re: Heisman Vote
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
64 may be a bit much, but the 11 conf winners & the 5 best records (including the independents) would make a nice field of 16 - same scheme as 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 & so on, based on best record, head-to-head comparisons &/or luck of the draw

Return to Top
#285871 - 12/13/04 03:48 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
And it's Leinart in a landslide!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#285872 - 12/13/04 10:30 PM Re: Heisman Vote
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Quote:

Hopefully he continues the trend of having a horrible national championship game like White, Crouch, and Wienke.
Oh well, OU will take another national championship over another Heisman any day.

Return to Top
#285873 - 12/13/04 11:12 PM Re: Heisman Vote
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Quote:

Hopefully he continues the trend of having a horrible national championship game like White, Crouch, and Wienke.
Oh well, OU will take another national championship over another Heisman any day.

That's what all Sooner fans are hoping for! Does this year seem reminiscent of 2000 or what!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2