Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#30733 - 09/03/02 03:04 PM W/D or Turndown??
Summer101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Customer applied for a home improvement loan to be secured by a vehicle. Not enough value in vehicle so bank suggested a home equity line of credit (HELOC) secured by residence, customer increased $$ amount. Not enough equity in residence for HELOC so bank suggested a mortgage refinance. Customer lost job and withdrew application.

Would you consider this one w/d? Three w/ds? Two TDs requiring adverse action notices and one w/d? One turndown?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#30734 - 09/03/02 03:24 PM Re: W/D or Turndown??
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If you were getting separate applications I'd consider each a request.

If you had one app and modified it for each request, I'd consider it a denial of the initial request because that decision was made prior to counter-offers and a withdrawal.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#30735 - 09/03/02 11:47 PM Re: W/D or Turndown??
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
Ditto. And each separate request would be a denial until the applicant notified you that he/she lost the job. At that point -- and only then -- you have a withdrawal.

Return to Top
#30736 - 02/26/03 11:00 PM Re: W/D or Turndown??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a situation where the applicant was told his loan could not be approved because of high debt to income and requirement for collateral for type of loan. Officer finds out that the customer has additional income which brings it to within guidelines and applicant offers the collateral. The applicant calls back and says forget about the loan and withdraws request. We have two apps., but I can't see sending a denial turning him down due to debt to income since he provided the additional info. Would this be W/D or Denial?

Return to Top
#30737 - 02/27/03 12:33 AM Re: W/D or Turndown??
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
I vote one denial (first time) and one withdrawal (second time.)

Return to Top
#30738 - 02/27/03 01:51 PM Re: W/D or Turndown??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is that even though we realized there was additional income and collateral was offered? I was initially thinking denial too, but I can hear them now saying we withdrew the app. Our DTI ratio was in line and we offered them collateral. Sometimes this can be confusing.

Return to Top
#30739 - 02/27/03 02:08 PM Re: W/D or Turndown??
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I think you have a denial with a counter offer. The original request was denied due to D to I and and the need for collateral, a counter was made to provide additional income and collateral. The applicant provides the additonal information and you approve it, but the applicant changes his mind, therefore he did not accept your counter offer.

Return to Top
#30740 - 02/27/03 02:14 PM Re: W/D or Turndown??
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are a couple of ways to go here.

1. Deny the first application as it was not within your bank's guidelines for the reasons stated. The second application then is either withdrawn or approved but not accepted - depending on if the credit decision was made.

2. Treat both as one application - which then gets you into a counter offer situation. You cannot approve as submitted but you can make an offer with additional income and collateral. Once the applicant called you to withdraw, then you've denied the first request.

In either case, it appears you are still in an adverse action situation.

Return to Top
#30741 - 02/27/03 02:16 PM Re: W/D or Turndown??
Anonymous
Unregistered

dpersfull, you are too fast for me.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z