Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#318046 - 02/17/05 07:27 PM Copy of Drivers License
Anonymous
Unregistered

We reciently had a couple apply for credit. The officer did not get a copy of their license at closing, so I wrote them up saying that we needed it. The officer said that they had been customers of the bank. However, it was so long ago there is no file, no documentation, etc.

The officer gave in and called to get a copy. The copy is a very poor copy and you cannot see the picture.

Now what? The customers have very large loans and were quite mad when we asked for their license. I frankly don't care how mad they are, but I know the officer isn't going to call and get more. Any suggestions?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#318047 - 02/17/05 07:54 PM Re: Copy of Drivers License
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Surely your CIP policy doesn't require that you must verify identity only with a driver's license, does it? Does the policy provide for alternative methods for verifying identity when driver's licenses are not available?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#318048 - 02/17/05 07:56 PM Re: Copy of Drivers License
Anonymous
Unregistered

It does provide for other methods but it was like pulling teeth to get the copy of the license from them.

Return to Top
#318049 - 02/17/05 08:02 PM Re: Copy of Drivers License
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why you need the picture. Couldn't you just document the DL number? Or, does your CIP require a copy of the DL?

Return to Top
#318050 - 02/17/05 08:06 PM Re: Copy of Drivers License
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

It does provide for other methods but it was like pulling teeth to get the copy of the license from them.

I'm not suggesting you go back to the customers for anything. For loans, a bank does a certain amount of up-front checking before it approves an application. One part of a CIP for loan customers might involve comparing applicant-supplied information with that received from the credit bureau, for example.

In other words, isn't there some other non-documentary process you can use to fulfill your CIP requirement?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#318051 - 02/17/05 08:07 PM Re: Copy of Drivers License
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our policy wants a photo id 1st and then other methods if that is not available.

Return to Top
#318052 - 02/17/05 08:09 PM Re: Copy of Drivers License
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you John! My brain has died today.

Return to Top
#318053 - 02/17/05 08:13 PM Re: Copy of Drivers License
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

Our policy wants a photo id 1st and then other methods if that is not available.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing my mind.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z