Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#361620 - 05/19/05 08:50 PM The Great Escape
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Andy Z said... Cooler King, The Great Escape is probably my favorite movie of all time. I love McQueen in this and there are so many great stars and a great story. I recently saw a special where they went back to where that camp was and actually dug into one of the tunnels.

The Great Escape is in my top-five movie list. I finally got it on DVD in wide-screen a couple of years ago. (I was only a small kid when the movie first came out, so I never saw it in a theater. Up until then, I'd only seen the stupid "pan and scan" version.)

I was amazed at some of the stuff I saw in wide-screen that I never was able to see before. For example, when the Germans are chasing Hilts through the fields on the motorcyle, you can see cows in the field. Also, when he hides behind the barn, you can actually see what the Germans are doing too. That really adds to the tension of the moment. (It's beyond me why anyone would ever prefer pan-and-scan over wide-screen.)

I say that if we would be able to let Steve McQueen spend a few minutes with the German spammers, that's all it would take to put an end to it.

Steve McQueen was the coolest actor of the '60s, even cooler than Newman. But everyone was great in The Great Escape, especially McQueen, James Garner, and Donald Pleasence (sp?).

Did you know Pleasence was actually a POW in a German camp during WWII?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#361621 - 05/19/05 08:51 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the only Steve McQueen movie I've ever seen is the one in which he played the bounty hunter. It was good.

Return to Top
#361622 - 05/19/05 08:53 PM Re: The Great Escape
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I think the only Steve McQueen movie I've ever seen is the one in which he played the bounty hunter. It was good.

Well, "The Great Escape" and "Bullet" are great places to start.

Return to Top
#361623 - 05/19/05 09:16 PM Re: The Great Escape
jack Offline
100 Club
jack
USA
Also Charles Bronson, James Coburn

Return to Top
#361624 - 05/19/05 09:20 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Newman chased the shadows of Redford and Newman most of his career. His billing in Towering Inferno made him very happy:

McQueen, Newman, and Holden all tried to obtain top billing; Holden was refused out of hand. However, to provide "dual" top billing and mollify McQueen, the credits were arranged diagonally, with McQueen at the lower-left and Newman at the upper-right. Thus, each actor appeared to have "top billing" depending on whether the poster was read from left-to-right or from top-to-bottom, though technically McQueen has "top billing".

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--10134441/The_Towering_Inferno_Style_A.htm

Return to Top
#361625 - 05/19/05 09:21 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Correction:

McQueen chased the shadows of Redford and Newman most of his career. His billing in Towering Inferno made him very happy:

McQueen, Newman, and Holden all tried to obtain top billing; Holden was refused out of hand. However, to provide "dual" top billing and mollify McQueen, the credits were arranged diagonally, with McQueen at the lower-left and Newman at the upper-right. Thus, each actor appeared to have "top billing" depending on whether the poster was read from left-to-right or from top-to-bottom, though technically McQueen has "top billing".

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--10134441/The_Towering_Inferno_Style_A.htm

Return to Top
#361626 - 05/19/05 09:49 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Count me in as a Steve McQueen fan - he is #1 in my book, and even in a movie like Towering Inferno, he was great!

Return to Top
#361627 - 05/19/05 09:51 PM Re: The Great Escape
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

"Newman chased the shadows of Redford and Newman most of his career. His billing in Towering Inferno made him very happy."

We knew what you meant.

Return to Top
#361628 - 05/19/05 09:52 PM Re: The Great Escape
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Count me in as a Steve McQueen fan - he is #1 in my book, and even in a movie like Towering Inferno, he was great!

I agree. The Towering Inferno was a silly movie in general, but, as usual, McQueen was great in his part.

Return to Top
#361629 - 05/19/05 09:53 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

And let's not forget Cincinnati Kid - I love that movie. Throw in Papillon and Magnificent 7 and the Great Escape, and that is a group of movies you can watch over and over again.

Return to Top
#361630 - 05/19/05 09:54 PM Re: The Great Escape
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Not only was McQueen great in Papillon, but teaming him up with Dustin Hoffman made the movie that much better. I think Hoffman was great in his part in that movie.

Return to Top
#361631 - 05/19/05 09:57 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Absolutely - Hoffman stole the show with his acting, and McQueen made the movie "cool"!

Return to Top
#361632 - 05/19/05 10:21 PM Re: The Great Escape
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
The greatest thing about the Great Escape is that it really happened.

Return to Top
#361633 - 05/19/05 10:30 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Return to Top
#361634 - 05/20/05 02:02 PM Re: The Great Escape
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Hard to choose his "best" films, but Junior Bonner, The Getaway and The Sand Pebbles are my favorites. I bought a copy of a bio, "Steve McQueen, Man on the Edge" for a friend. However, after watching it, I decided to keep it.

Return to Top
#361635 - 05/20/05 02:23 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about McQueen and Yul Brynner in the Magnificent Seven? Which also had James Coburn and Charles Bronson.

Return to Top
#361636 - 05/20/05 07:52 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do not forget "Cool Hand Luke"!!!!!

Return to Top
#361637 - 05/20/05 08:08 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nope - that's Paul Newman! But they were both in Towering Inferno together.

Return to Top
#361638 - 05/20/05 11:37 PM Re: The Great Escape
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

What about McQueen and Yul Brynner in the Magnificent Seven? Which also had James Coburn and Charles Bronson.

I'm not a big fan of "The Magnificent Seven." I thought McQueen, Bronson, Coburn, and Vaughn were good. However, I wasn't impressed with Yul Brynner's peformance. I would have loved to see Clint Eastwood in Brynner's part. Now that would have been a movie!

Return to Top
#361639 - 05/21/05 01:55 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of "The Magnificent Seven." I thought McQueen, Bronson, Coburn, and Vaughn were good. However, I wasn't impressed with Yul Brynner's peformance. I would have loved to see Clint Eastwood in Brynner's part. Now that would have been a movie!

Have you seen 7 Samurai? It is the movie the M7 was based on and is spectacular!

Return to Top
#361640 - 05/21/05 04:27 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

let's not forget one of McQueens first, The Blob. -- pale writer

Return to Top
#361641 - 05/26/05 04:36 PM Re: The Great Escape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Next week, there is a DVD release of Steve McQueen collection. First one includes: Bullitt, The Cincinnati Kid, The Getaway, Never so Few, Papillon, and Tom Horn.

Return to Top